[comp.dcom.modems] USR HST/IX and HST/V.32 modems

mikes@ncoast.UUCP (Mike Squires) (12/06/88)

I called USR tech support today and got the following information from the
person who answered (if this is wrong then it's not my fault :-) ):

1.  The HST/IX is not TB compatible; it consists of a HST with software to
    make it more usable with UNIX.

    One can apparently trade a TB modem plus $795 for a USR 9600 modem.
    There was a rumor at COMDEX that they were trading one-for-one but that
    seems to be false (too good to be true, if you wanted a USR).

2.  The HST/V.32 dual mode modem costs $725 to BBS sysops.  The cost of
    of upgrading a HST to the dual mode is $795 plus the old modem.  There
    was no special discount price for sysops currently using the HST.

    (This differs slightly from what I was told by another person on the same
    line earlier this year; he said that there was no need for a 300 bps to
    450 bps backchannel upgrade as there would soon be a major upgrade out
    that could be retrofitted to the HST.  They changed their minds, I suppose.)

The upshot is that I have gone ahead and ordered a HST/V.32 dual mode modem
under the sysop deal.  I have yet to run into another HST modem used on a
UNIX/XENIX system, however; HST's seem to be concentrated among microcomputer
owners and the BBS operators that serve that group.

The USR BBS is at 1-213-459-7231.  I have used the HST 9600 with one BBS
system for about a year and have had no problems.

Mike Squires Allegheny College Meadville, PA 16335 814 724 3360
uucp: ..!cwjcc!ncoast!{mikes,peng!sir-alan!mikes} or ..!pitt!sir-alan!mikes
BITNET: mikes%sir-alan@pitt.UUCP (VAX) MIKES AT SIR-ALAN!PITT.UUCP (IBM)
Internet: sir-alan!mikes@vax.cs.pittsburgh.edu
BBS: 814 333 6728 (1200/2400) 814 337 0894 TB+ 2400/FAST/1200
(where is the HST? On the home system at 814 337 3159)

john@stiatl.UUCP (John DeArmond) (12/06/88)

In article <13215@ncoast.UUCP> mikes@ncoast.UUCP (Mike Squires) writes:
>I called USR tech support today and got the following information from the
>person who answered (if this is wrong then it's not my fault :-) ):
>
>1.  The HST/IX is not TB compatible; it consists of a HST with software to
>    make it more usable with UNIX.
>
>    One can apparently trade a TB modem plus $795 for a USR 9600 modem.
>    There was a rumor at COMDEX that they were trading one-for-one but that
>    seems to be false (too good to be true, if you wanted a USR).
>
>2.  The HST/V.32 dual mode modem costs $725 to BBS sysops.  The cost of
>    of upgrading a HST to the dual mode is $795 plus the old modem.  There
>    was no special discount price for sysops currently using the HST.
>
>    (This differs slightly from what I was told by another person on the same
>    line earlier this year; he said that there was no need for a 300 bps to
>    450 bps backchannel upgrade as there would soon be a major upgrade out
>    that could be retrofitted to the HST.  They changed their minds, I suppose.)
>

>Mike Squires Allegheny College Meadville, PA 16335 814 724 3360
>uucp: ..!cwjcc!ncoast!{mikes,peng!sir-alan!mikes} or ..!pitt!sir-alan!mikes

There is something everybody should be aware of.  This information came
directly from a Telebit company representative who spoke to the Organization
of Atlanta Sysops a couple of months ago.

USR and Telebit have signed agreements to make their modems compatible.
Both companies have submitted proposals to the CCITT for a V.34 standard.
According to the Telebit rep, CCITT is heading toward approving PEP
as the V.34 standard.  Regardless of whether the PEP or the HST protocol
is adopted, USR and Telebit have agreed to merge protocols as soon as
V.34 is approved.  I suspect that the compatibility will be at the
Telebit T-1000 level.  I suspect that is the real reason for it's existence.
At the time the rep spoke, the T-1000 had not been "officially" announced,
so he could not "officially" comment on it.  This last statement is purely
my speculation.

John De Armond                             | "I can't drive 85!"
Sales Technologies, Inc.    Atlanta, GA    | Sammy Hagar driving
...!gatech!stiatl!john                     | thru Atlanta!