[comp.dcom.modems] Packard Bell PB2400Plus

keith@esosun.UUCP (Keith Pilotti) (12/09/88)

I would like to hear comments or pointers to information regarding the
performance of the Packard Bell PB2400PLUS 2400 baud modem.

My roommate recently purchased one for just under $150, and we are
experiencing some glitches.  For example, it will connect at 2400 baud
one time, 1200 baud the next.  Of course, once it connects at 1200
baud it changes it's serial interface speed which then no longer talks
to the terminal port!  I wonder if it is this particular modem, or a
design flaw in the product.

Anyone else have one of these beasties?

Thanks...
+Keith Pilotti
10260 Campus Point Drive, M/S-32, San Diego, CA 92121

(619)546-6657    {sun!suntan,seismo!esosun}!sol!keith
                 Pilotti@UCSD.edu

dtynan@sultra.UUCP (Der Tynan) (12/10/88)

In article <297@esosun.UUCP>, keith@esosun.UUCP (Keith Pilotti) writes:

> experiencing some glitches.  For example, it will connect at 2400 baud
> one time, 1200 baud the next.  Of course, once it connects at 1200
> baud it changes it's serial interface speed which then no longer talks
> to the terminal port!  I wonder if it is this particular modem, or a
> design flaw in the product.
>
> +Keith Pilotti

I have one as well!  It does the same thing.  I posted a request for help, and
got a reply from someone who basically said all you have to do is set a bit in
register S34, which will stop that.  Why don't you RTFM before asking stupid
questions.  My reply, was of course, that the PB2400 *DOES NOT HAVE* a register
34!!!  Why doesn't HE RTFM.  Anyway, TFM is written in such poor english.  Beats
me, why foreign (non-english-speaking) countries that manufacture stuff like
this couldn't have someone "proof-read" the damnable things.  It smells of
arrogance, if you ask me!  Most of these places have US subsidiaries.  Heck,
even the Janitor could point out most of the mistakes!  But that's another
story...  Anyway, I have similar problems, which are aggravated by the fact
that I use the modem on a UUCP link.  Guess what happens when the modem answers
at the wrong baud rate.  Guess what happens when UUCP finally gives up, and
tries to disconnect the line.  Also, I notice that about ten percent of the
time it won't recognize a carrier from a trailblazer.  I guess in the long run,
you get what you pay for.  Comments?
						- Der
--
	dtynan@zorba.Tynan.COM  (Dermot Tynan @ Tynan Computers)
	{apple,mips,pyramid,uunet}!Tynan.COM!dtynan

 ---  If the Law is for the People, then why do we need Lawyers? ---

bill@bilver.UUCP (bill vermillion) (12/11/88)

>In article <297@esosun.UUCP>, keith@esosun.UUCP (Keith Pilotti) writes:
>>
>> experiencing some glitches.  For example, it will connect at 2400 baud
>> one time, 1200 baud the next.  Of course, once it connects at 1200
>> baud it changes it's serial interface speed which then no longer talks
>> to the terminal port!  I wonder if it is this particular modem, or a
>> design flaw in the product.

Not sure if I am missing something here but, one of the "features" of the
v.22.bis (2400bps) modems, is that if the line gets too noisy to connect at
2400 it falls back to 1200.  (and depending on the modem mfr it may fall from
v.22.bis to v.22, or v.22.bix to 212a.  some permit setting of the fallback
protocols).

Now when it falls back from 2400 to 1200, you are still talking at 2400 and it
is all over, unless you change your interface speed.  We have much to thank
Hayes for, in the same way we have much to thank IBM for. :-) :-) :-) !!

At one time pin 12 would go high for 1200 and low for 300.  When Hayes brought
out their 2400 it now was pin 12 high for 2400 and pin low for 1200 or 300.
(Other mfrs - who work primarily in the commercial marketplace brought out
another pin to keep the 212a standard as data rate detect - previously
secondary carrier detect)

If you KNOW you are 2400 then look at pin 12, and when it goes low switch to
1200 bps on the interface.  (This hardware detect used to be the way to
determine whether incoming calls were 300 or 1200.  Now you have to get result
codes to determine the speeds.)

In other words - what you are experiencing is normal for a "Hayes" compatible
with standard comm software.  (Providing I interpreted your problem correctly
in that a 2400 call switches to 1200 and it is all over).

If the latter is the problem then a simple answer to your question is "yes it
is a design flaw - but not limited to that modem - just all modems that are
made to the "Hayes Standard".
--
Bill Vermillion - UUCP: {uiucuxc,hoptoad,petsd}!peora!rtmvax!bilver!bill
                      : bill@bilver.UUCP

soley@ontenv.UUCP (Norman S. Soley) (12/15/88)

In article <2716@sultra.UUCP>, dtynan@sultra.UUCP (Der Tynan) writes:
> In article <297@esosun.UUCP>, keith@esosun.UUCP (Keith Pilotti) writes:
> >
> > experiencing some glitches.  For example, it will connect at 2400 baud
> > one time, 1200 baud the next.  Of course, once it connects at 1200
> > baud it changes it's serial interface speed which then no longer talks
> > to the terminal port!  I wonder if it is this particular modem, or a
> > design flaw in the product.
>
> I have one as well!  It does the same thing.  I posted a request for help, and
> got a reply from someone who basically said all you have to do is set a bit in
> register S34, which will stop that.  Why don't you RTFM before asking stupid
> questions.  My reply, was of course, that the PB2400 DOES NOT HAVE a register
> 34!!!  Why doesn't HE RTFM.

Just cause it ain't in the manual don't make it so! just try a ATS34?
an see what happens. Looky there, it seems there is a register 34
after all. Anybody out there wan't to let us in on the secret of how
to use it?

Still doesn't excuse the lousy manual though! Worst thing is that the
manual for the PB2400PLUS is much better than the one for it's
predecessor the 2400IS/EM (which was actually a better modem than the
PB2400PLUS).  Then again I once had to read a manual (for a robot
actuator) that had been translated from Japanese to German and then to
English....

--
Norman Soley - Data Communications Analyst - Ontario Ministry of the Environment
UUCP:	uunet!attcan!lsuc!ncrcan!ontenv!soley	VOICE:	+1 416 323 2623