[comp.dcom.modems] ^O for modems

stiller@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Lewis Stiller) (12/14/88)

I have a 2400 baud Hayes compatible modem connected to a DEC vt100.
Frequently in debugging code in an  emacs "shell" buffer some remote
program will generate a large amount of output.  Once this output gets
sent I can't stop it with ^O or ^C since, I suppose, the input
character is queued until all, or much, of the output has been
printed, which can take a long time.

Is it possible, via either the modem, the vt100 or emacs, to interrupt
output from the remote computer to the local tty and obtain the
functionality of "^O", which normally tells a local tty to halt
output?

I don't know whether I made the problem clear, or whether this is the
correct newsgroup, as perhaps this is the terminal's problem, or an
emacs issue and not the modem's. Nonetheless, suggestions are
appreciated.

-lewis
stiller@bu-cs.bu.edu

logajan@ns.UUCP (John Logajan x3118) (12/16/88)

Lewis Stiller writes:
> Is it possible to interrupt
> output from the remote computer

This is, of course, dependent on the remote computer's software, but pretty
standard start/stop characters are ^Q and ^S, also known as Xoff/Xon.

Then again, who knows?

--
- John M. Logajan @ Network Systems; 7600 Boone Ave; Brooklyn Park, MN 55428 -
-    ...rutgers!umn-cs!ns!logajan                or     john@logajan.mn.org  -