[comp.dcom.modems] Remote Bridge,Local Bridge & Gateway==> 1 unit for all 3?

pam@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Pamela Hong) (12/22/88)

Is there a product that will function as a:

	1) Remote Bridge
	2) Local Bridge &
	3) Remote Gateway?

	and will work with a Mac Ethernet LAN running TOPS?

	Or perhaps, just 1 and 3?

	Here are some units I've been looking at:

	-Hayes Interbridge
	-Shiva Netserial X232
	-Solana R-Server

	Solana seems to be promising, but tough to configure.
	Does anyone have any experience with these?

	Or how about Infosphere's Liason, or Telenode's remote gateway?
	Any of these work well on Ethernet?

	Thanks for your help...

goodloe@xenon.UUCP (Tony Goodloe) (12/23/88)

In article <2873@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu>, pam@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Pamela Hong) writes:
> Is there a product that will function as a:
>
> 	1) Remote Bridge
> 	2) Local Bridge &
> 	3) Remote Gateway?

I have looked at the Wellfleet products. They provide a backplane (VME)
into which you can plug 4 or 12? (depending on unit) cards. The cards
are something like 2 Ethernet ports, 4 synchronous ports, 1 Ethernet and
2 synchronous, 4 T1 ports, etc. You can configure the hardware any way
you like. Very flexible. I was very impressed by the architecture and
quality of the product. Each card has its own 68020 and can run bridging
software and/or DECnet routing software and/or IP routing software.
Theoretically you do not suffer a performance hit as you add more cards
because each card has its own processor. The VME is used only to
transfer frames from one card to another. Now the down side. The
performance was not very good, at least for our application. Wellfleet
was working on it, and from what I hear has made improvements, but not
in the timeframe we needed. here is their address, they may be able to
help you:

Wellfleet Communications
12 DeAngelo Dr.
Bedford, MA 01730-2204