[comp.dcom.modems] Slow Throughput with TB+ Modem

eric@snark.UUCP (Eric S. Raymond) (12/25/88)

In article <672@vector.uucp>, chip@vector.UUCP (Chip Rosenthal) writes:
> In article <1439@neoucom.UUCP> wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) writes:
> >I've been surprised at the gernally crummy serial port performance
> >of most IBM/Intel clone architecture machines exhibit.  Even AT
> >class machines with the 16450s don't do very well at speeds greater
> >than 4800 bps.
>
> Correction -- even 386 class machines can't do it.

> When I was using a standard, dumb serial port on the XENIX box, I could
> never run faster than 4800bps.  Even then it would drop characters if the
> system was heavily loaded.  (I looked at the PC BIOS, and it looks like
> hardware flow control is supported, but I only have a 3-wire connection.
> XON/XOFF flow control is not supported.)

I run a 9600bps line to a 'blazer off a 16MHz 386 box using a generic dumb
serial card. It works like a champ. This is under stock Microport 3.0e, using
RTS/CTS flow control. I conjecture that either a) XENIX's serial-port driver is
brain-damaged (thresholds set wrong maybe, or too little c-list space) , or b)
your serial card really sucked. The latter seems marginally more likely.
--
      Eric S. Raymond                     (the mad mastermind of TMN-Netnews)
      Email: eric@snark.uu.net                       CompuServe: [72037,2306]

john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) (12/26/88)

> > In article <1439@neoucom.UUCP> wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) writes:
> > >of most IBM/Intel clone architecture machines exhibit.  Even AT
> > >class machines with the 16450s don't do very well at speeds greater
> > >than 4800 bps.
> >
> > When I was using a standard, dumb serial port on the XENIX box, I could
> > never run faster than 4800bps.  Even then it would drop characters if the
>
> I run a 9600bps line to a 'blazer off a 16MHz 386 box using a generic dumb
> serial card. It works like a champ. This is under stock Microport 3.0e, using

     I also find that on a 16 Mhz 386 and V/386 I can run multiple 9600 baud
lines with no problems. I also can send files without hesitation at 19.2K
to the TB+ however there is some hesitation when receiving at this speed.
This is with a dumb 8-port Digiboard. Local terminals also run like a
champ at 19.2K.

						John

--
John Gayman, WA3WBU              |           UUCP: uunet!wa3wbu!john
1869 Valley Rd.                  |           ARPA: john@wa3wbu.uu.net