[comp.dcom.modems] need info on specific V.32 modems

celeste@coherent.com (Celeste C. Stokely) (01/04/89)

I'm looking into V.32 modems to attach to my Sun. The modems will be used
to run SNA3270 or LU6.2 protocols at high speeds from the Sun to a Big Blue Box
across dial-up lines.

The 3 models I've found for rent are the UDS V.32, the NEC-DSP9630S/A, and
the Hayes V9600. I have no experience with any of these. The UDS and Hayes
are similarly priced (about $1000), and the NEC is expensive ($1895). I expect
to buy them in pairs. (Actually, I'll probably do a rental, so I am a
little limited to what is available in Sil Val for rent. One would think I
would be able to find any modem for rent here, but it ain't so.)

The NEC is advertised as being especially good for leased-line use, and
many of its expensive features are leased-line oriented. Doesn't make sense
for me to spend the $$ for features I won't use for dial-up, if that's all
the extra I'm paying for.

Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about these models? Are there
other V.32 modems that you prefer for this configuration?

Thanks for any advice.

..Celeste Stokely
Coherent Thought Inc.
UUCP:   ...!{ames,sun,uunet}!coherent!celeste  Domain: celeste@coherent.com
Internet: coherent!celeste@ames.arpa or ...@sun.com or ...@uunet.uu.net
VOX:  415-493-8805
SNAIL:3350 W. Bayshore Rd. #205, Palo Alto CA  94303

ron@ron.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (01/04/89)

We have tested both the Penril and the UDS V.32 modems.  Both work
fine with each other and with the TYMNET V.32 dialins which I believe
are CODEX modems.  The UDS is a bit cheaper, but the Penrils have the
advantage of talking all the lower speeds and having MNP as well.  The
UDS's are V.32 ONLY modems.  We have seen the announcement of a Multicom
V.32 modem (which also handles slower speeds) but we have not been able
to get a unit to test yet.

-Ron

bethune@ingr.com. (Dave Bethune) (01/04/89)

In article <Jan.3.22.03.04.1989.293@ron.rutgers.edu>, ron@ron.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) writes:
> We have tested both the Penril and the UDS V.32 modems.  Both work
> fine with each other and with the TYMNET V.32 dialins which I believe
> are CODEX modems.  The UDS is a bit cheaper, but the Penrils have the
> advantage of talking all the lower speeds and having MNP as well.  The
> UDS's are V.32 ONLY modems.  We have seen the announcement of a Multicom
            ^^^^^^^^^

This is no longer true. UDS just recently (within the last 3 months)
introduced a V.32/V.22 modem. The unit supports both V.32 and V.22 bis and
offer compatibility with the AT command set and level 4 MNP. The list price
is $1595 according to a Nov. 88 publication.

mooring@antares.UUCP (ed mooring) (01/05/89)

In article <Jan.3.22.03.04.1989.293@ron.rutgers.edu> ron@ron.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) writes:
>We have tested both the Penril and the UDS V.32 modems.  Both work
>fine with each other and with the TYMNET V.32 dialins which I believe
>are CODEX modems.
Just a quick correction.  We use Concord Data Systems V.32 modems.  I've
yet to hear of any modem compatibility problems with any of the V.32
modems, so you should be OK no matter how you go.

Ed Mooring ...hplabs!oliveb!tymix!antares!mooring (I think) 408-922-7504