[comp.dcom.modems] Serial port definitions ...

oolidjr@hubcap.UUCP (Joe Moll) (01/05/89)

Could someone mail me (or point to the correct literature) the
definitions for the IBM PC type serial interface.  I need to directly
program the serial port, because we all know the bios is only good for
about 300 baud ...

Thanx for any help.

Joe

--
                   /=----------+^ jlmoll@clemson.bitnet
Joe Moll  --------=\  Internet |  oolidjr@hubcap.clemson.edu

pozar@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Pozar) (01/06/89)

In article <4013@hubcap.UUCP> oolidjr@hubcap.UUCP (Joe Moll) writes:
>Could someone mail me (or point to the correct literature) the
>definitions for the IBM PC type serial interface.  I need to directly
>program the serial port, because we all know the bios is only good for
>about 300 baud ...

   The best book by far, is unfortunatly not being made any
longer.  If you can get your hands on an early _IBM Personal
Computer Hardware Reference Library, Technical Treference_ book,
its worth its weight in gold.  The part number I have on mine is
6936808.  It has full details on registers and port
descriptions.
   The later book has the serial port and most of the other
hardware descriptions ripped out of it.

	      Tim

--
 ...sun!hoptoad!\                                     Tim Pozar
                 >fidogate!pozar               Fido:  1:125/406
  ...lll-winken!/                            PaBell:  (415) 788-3904
       USNail:  KKSF / 77 Maiden Lane /  San Francisco CA 94108

fritz@mit-caf.MIT.EDU (Frederick Herrmann) (01/06/89)

In article <6168@hoptoad.uucp> pozar@hoptoad.UUCP (Tim Pozar) writes:
>In article <4013@hubcap.UUCP> oolidjr@hubcap.UUCP (Joe Moll) writes:
>>

>   The best book by far, is unfortunatly not being made any
>longer.  If you can get your hands on an early _IBM Personal
>Computer Hardware Reference Library, Technical Treference_ book,
>its worth its weight in gold.  The part number I have on mine is
>6936808.  It has full details on registers and port
>descriptions.
>   The later book has the serial port and most of the other
>hardware descriptions ripped out of it.

This isn't quite fair, the tech ref was getting so thick as IBM kept
introducing new PC products, that they had to spin off a separate
`Options and Adapters' tech ref manual.  For a while I was on the
mailing list, and would get some new pages every time IBM introduced a product.
  My O & A manual was three well-stuffed volumes before they cancelled
my subscription :-( filled with info about obscure products
like the `Voice Communication Adapter'.

			- Fritz Herrmann
			  fritz@caf.mit.edu