[comp.dcom.modems] The Telebit Solution to the PCP Rate Increase

russ@wpg.UUCP (Russell Lawrence) (01/04/89)

John Gilmore writes:
>  I just figured my PC Pursuit usage for the past four months, and under
>  the "new regime" I would have paid $292, $151.50, $102, and $592.50 for
>  monthly service.  Under the old regime it cost $25.  There are clearly
>  a lot cheaper ways to move netnews than the new regime...
>
>  I suspect that if Telebit offered a cut-rate deal to "ex-PC-Pursuit
>  subscribers" that they'd sell a lot of modems!

Good News!  According to Mike Ballard at Telebit, a new half-price
promotion on TB+ modems will be announced sometime today or tomorrow.

My effective throughput with PCP on good nights amounted to about 600
baud.  The way I figure it, using ReachOut America and a TB+ will be far,
far cheaper than PCP given the new rate structure.  And, as an added bonus,
I can look forward to *reliable* communications.
--
Russell Lawrence, WP Group, New Orleans (504) 456-0001
{uunet,killer}!wpg!russ

w-colinp@microsoft.UUCP (Colin Plumb) (01/04/89)

In article <8901031634.AA02404@wpg.UUCP> russ@wpg.UUCP (Russell Lawrence) writes:
>Good News!  According to Mike Ballard at Telebit, a new half-price
>promotion on TB+ modems will be announced sometime today or tomorrow.

"We are positively, absolutely going to cut off the half-price offer as of
Dec. 31." - rls@telebit

Still, no complaints.  I do rather wonder, however, how many modems
they're selling at *full* price.
--
	-Colin (uunet!microsof!w-colinp)

romkey@asylum.sf.ca.us (John Romkey) (01/05/89)

In article <171@microsoft.UUCP> w-colinp@microsoft.UUCP (Colin Plumb) writes:
>In article <8901031634.AA02404@wpg.UUCP> russ@wpg.UUCP (Russell Lawrence) writes:
>>Good News!  According to Mike Ballard at Telebit, a new half-price
>>promotion on TB+ modems will be announced sometime today or tomorrow.
>
>"We are positively, absolutely going to cut off the half-price offer as of
>Dec. 31." - rls@telebit

Yes, but I think the keyword in what Mike Ballard said was NEW.
Perhaps a new offer won't work exactly the same as the USENET offer,
which I believe did expire with 1988. There are other possible,
similar half price offers that Telebit could make.
--
			- john romkey
romkey@asylum.uucp	romkey@xx.lcs.mit.edu	romkey@asylum.sf.ca.us

"Maybe Acid would help."

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) (01/11/89)

In article <1055@asylum.sf.ca.us> romkey@asylum.UUCP (John Romkey) writes:
=In article <171@microsoft.UUCP= w-colinp@microsoft.UUCP (Colin Plumb) writes:
==In article <8901031634.AA02404@wpg.UUCP= russ@wpg.UUCP (Russell Lawrence) writes:
===Good News!  According to Mike Ballard at Telebit, a new half-price
===promotion on TB+ modems will be announced sometime today or tomorrow.
==
=
=Yes, but I think the keyword in what Mike Ballard said was NEW.
=Perhaps a new offer won't work exactly the same as the USENET offer,
=which I believe did expire with 1988. There are other possible,
=similar half price offers that Telebit could make.

Yes, the T-1000 is now available, and they could make an offer to the
net regarding that modem.

JB

--
Jonathan Bayer				"The time has come," the Walrus said...
Intelligent Software Products, Inc.