[comp.dcom.modems] PC Pursuit pricing amendment

dkpurks@nessus.UUCP (System Administrator) (01/05/89)

              ADDITIONAL ANNOUNCEMENTS and ANSWERs to COMMON QUESTIONS
                   REGARDING PC PURSUIT PRICE CHANGE ANNOUNCEMENT.

          To ALL PC Pursuit customers:

          There  has  been  an  overwhelming  response  to the recent price
          change announcement/letter  (see related  bulletin).   So much so
          that my  personally responding  to EACH  in a timely manner is an
          impossibility.  However, we  are  reading  all  the  mail.   This
          bulletin  contains  some  related  new  announcements, as well as
          answers to common concerns.

          First, the following announcements:

          1.   WE HAVE DECIDED TO WAIVE THE  LIMITATION OF  ONE ACCOUNT PER
               PERSON.   There is  now NO LIMIT to the number of PC Pursuit
               accounts that  can  be  ordered/owned  by  a  single person.
               Thus, if  you have  determined that  a 60 hour usage cap (or
               90, or  any multiple  of 30  hours) is  more appropriate for
               your typical  usage, you can order the appropriate number of
               accounts.

          2.   In order  to provide  you with  plenty of  time to determine
               what your  requirements are, WE HAVE DECIDED NOT TO BILL YOU
               FOR ANY OVER CAP USAGE UNTIL MAY 1, 1989.  The fixed monthly
               charge will  still increase  to $30  as of February 1, 1989.
               However, you will not be billed for any non-prime time usage
               over 30 hours until the month of May 1989.  Please note that
               the actual statement for  May usage  won't appear  until mid
               June.

          3.   When  we  begin  billing  for  monthly  usage  over 30 hours
               (beginning with May's usage),  WE WILL  SUBTRACT THE AVERAGE
               TIME IT  TAKES TO CONNECT (APPROXIMATELY 1 MINUTE) FROM EACH
               CALL BEFORE ADDING UP THE TIME.  Therefore, you will  not be
               charged for a call to a BUSY line (as long as you disconnect
               the call immediately upon seeing the  "BUSY" message).   The
               exact  amount  of  time  to  be subtracted will be announced
               within the next few weeks.

          Addressing other common concerns:

          1.   Many people are suggesting  that it  is the  30 hour monthly
               usage  cap,  not  the  fixed  monthly increase to $30, which
               concerns  them  the  most.    Because  PC  Pursuit  must  be
               transformed to a profitable service to continue offering it,
               the primary alternative left  was  to  have  a  higher fixed
               monthly  price  with  a  higher  CAP (or a much higher fixed
               price  and  no  CAP).    Raising  the  fixed  monthly charge
               penalizes those  who use  the service  less than  30 hours a
               month (which is statistically the vast majority).  We do not
               believe that  the smaller  volume user  should subsidize the

               more serious  (higher volume)  user.   Thus, we  have the 30
               hour cap, which is appropriate for the new $30 fixed monthly
               charge.  To accommodate higher volume users, we  have waived
               the 1 account per user limitation (see above).

          2.   When over  cap usage  billing begins in May 1989, a detailed
               statement will be mailed to you no less  than 10  days prior
               to your  credit card (or checking) account being debited, if
               your account is to be charged for more  than just  the fixed
               monthly charge.

          3.   The announcement  inadvertently states that all cities *now*
               support all three baud rates.  The target was to provide all
               baud  rates   to  all   cities  by  the  end  of  the  year.
               Unfortunately,  some  cities  have  had  deployment  delays.
               Latest  schedules  target  the  end  of  January to complete
               deployment.

          4.   Some customers were sent terms and  conditions that (through
               a typesetting  error) do not include paragraph 7(d) -- which
               is clearly missing since these copies show 7(c)  followed by
               7(e).    Unfortunately,  7(d)  states  our policy of 30 days
               notice for prices changes (or  other  changes).    Some have
               concluded  that  since  their  copy  of  the  Ts & Cs do not
               include this paragraph,  that  Telenet  can  not  change the
               pricing for  them.   I truly  apologize to those who have an
               erroneous   copy.      However,   the   law   clearly   (and
               appropriately)  provides  for  any  business  to  be able to
               change its pricing structure, and/or service offering in any
               way with  reasonable notice.  The Ts & Cs simply clarify our
               implementation  of  "reasonable  notice".    Lack   of  this
               paragraph does not remove the basic business right to change
               pricing (or other changes) with reasonable notice.

          Everyone here at Telenet wants to work with  our customers.   The
          announcements provided  here are  to accommodate  the concerns of
          many of you, and are a direct result of input received from you.

          I urge each of you to  take  advantage  of  the  next  few months
          (before  MAY)  to  determine  what  your  typical  monthly  usage
          actually is.  Our statistics clearly show that most of you should
          not be  effected by the 30 hour usage cap.  If you find that your
          usage is higher,  you  now  have  the  option  to  order multiple
          accounts (blocks  of 30  hours per month) before over cap billing
          begins in May.

                                        Sincerely,

                                        Peter Naleszkiewicz
                                        Outdial Services Product Manager

--
	Dave Purks
	PC Pursuit Technical Coordinator

aburt@isis.UUCP (Andrew Burt) (01/07/89)

In article <8901050251.AA14569@nessus.telenet.com> dkpurks@nessus.UUCP writes:
>              ADDITIONAL ANNOUNCEMENTS and ANSWERs to COMMON QUESTIONS
>                   REGARDING PC PURSUIT PRICE CHANGE ANNOUNCEMENT.
>
>          1.   WE HAVE DECIDED TO WAIVE THE  LIMITATION OF  ONE ACCOUNT PER
>               PERSON.

Say what?  This sounds like a kludge if I ever heard one.

I'd like to propose the following rate structure, instead:

A.	$1/hr for connect time, with a $30 minimum (that is,
		a $30 flat fee for the first 0-30 hours).

B.	$1 for each additional hour above 30 hours.

>          1.   Many people are suggesting  that it  is the  30 hour monthly
>               usage  cap ... which concerns  them  the  most.

Yes, it is.  Particularly since PCP was sold as a service with "unlimited"
usage.  Given that there are around 500 hours a month available for usage
under the old rules, 30 is awfully small.

If the cap is in place to discourage heavy usage, let's discuss what "heavy"
usage is.  (If this is really the issue then I would say that "heavy" would
be using more than half the available time, or greater than 250 hours a
month.  If you want to place a cap at that level then the objections would
die down from many people.)

Thus, amend my proposal to read:

A.	$1/hr for connect time, with a $30 minimum (that is,
		a $30 flat fee for the first 0-250 hours).

B.	$1 for each additional hour above 250 hours.

>               ... Raising  the  fixed  monthly charge
>               penalizes those  who use  the service  less than  30 hours a
>               month (which is statistically the vast majority).

I don't care for ambiguous terms like "vast majority".  Is that 50.1% or 99.9%?

>               To accommodate higher volume users, we  have waived
>               the 1 account per user limitation (see above).

(Which is just $1/hr for extra hours so let's do it that way instead.)

>          2.   When over  cap usage  billing begins in May 1989, a detailed
>               statement will be mailed to you no less  than 10  days prior
>               to your  credit card (or checking) account being debited, if
>               your account is to be charged for more  than just  the fixed
>               monthly charge.

Here I have a MAJOR objection.  I really don't count the minutes I'm
logged in, nor does it look like I'd be able to *accurately* count the
minutes even if I wanted to (which I don't, but that's not important
since I **can't**).

I feel it is incumbent on Telenet to inform me, WHILE I'M LOGGED IN, that
I am about to exceed my usage cap (be it 30 or 250 hours).  A warning
one hour, five minutes, and at the point of exceeding it would only be
fair.

Suppose we use the horrible 30 hour limit.  Suppose *I* calculate that
I'm at 29 hours.  I use an hour of time, because I really don't intend
to pay for any extra time.  Then I get billed, way after the month is over,
for an extra hour of time because my calculations were off by an hour.

That ain't fair, boys.

Since YOU'RE the ones who want the limit, it's YOUR duty to tell us when
we're about to and are exceeding it.

Just for your info, if the above scenario ever occurs, and every time it
does occur, I intend to contest the charges.  I consider this situation
much like someone sending me a package I didn't request then billing my
charge card for it.  I would keep the gift and contest the charge.  Now
I'm sure you don't want to go about giving people free time, do you?

(By the way, I do NOT consider $4.50 an hour cheap.  At $30 a month
PCP will cost more than my monthly local phone bill, and that's for two
phone lines.  I have NEVER considered long distance inexpensive.  I
would never pay $4.50 for extensive periods of time on the phone.

Geez, I consider a movie in a theater expensive at $6/person, and that's
about $3/hour.  Let's keep things in perspective, here!)
--

Andrew Burt 				   			ncar!isis!aburt

	      "Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time."

patrick@chinet.chi.il.us (Patrick A. Townson) (01/07/89)

In article <2384@isis.UUCP> aburt@isis.UUCP (Andrew Burt) writes:

>>          1.   Many people are suggesting  that it  is the  30 hour monthly
>>               usage  cap ... which concerns  them  the  most.
>
>Yes, it is.  Particularly since PCP was sold as a service with "unlimited"
>usage.  Given that there are around 500 hours a month available for usage
>under the old rules, 30 is awfully small.

But the service which was sold last year and the year before are no longer
available. The service you have been purchasing is being discontinued. Is
Telenet required to make something available forever just because they made
it available at one time?

>>               ... Raising  the  fixed  monthly charge
>>               penalizes those  who use  the service  less than  30 hours a
>>               month (which is statistically the vast majority).
>
>I don't care for ambiguous terms like "vast majority".  Is that 50.1% or 99.9%?

What difference does it make? Elections are won by 51.1% of the voters acting
in unison as well as 99.9%? About a year ago, Telenet did an analysis of
their traffic on PCP, and found about 80% of the users were on an hour per
day or less.

>Here I have a MAJOR objection.  I really don't count the minutes I'm
>logged in, nor does it look like I'd be able to *accurately* count the
>minutes even if I wanted to (which I don't, but that's not important
>since I **can't**).

If you do not want to count the minutes, or use some rudimentary method
of controlling your use of the system, then that is your problem. How do
you manage to control your telephone bills each month without looking at
the clock from time to time?

>I feel it is incumbent on Telenet to inform me, WHILE I'M LOGGED IN, that
>I am about to exceed my usage cap (be it 30 or 250 hours).  A warning
>one hour, five minutes, and at the point of exceeding it would only be
>fair.

Telenet *DOES AND ALWAYS HAS* told you the length of time of your connection
to a given place. Read the disconnect message when you disconnect from an
outdial. On the right side is a string of figures indicating the number
of days:hours:minutes:seconds the connection was up. Make a note of these
in the same way you estimate during the month how much your telephone long
distance bill is going to be.

Unlike most telephone companies, which have a surcharge for operator advice
on 'time and charges' on a per call basis, Telenet gives the information for
free. Just *read* what they tell you when you disconnect. As for them
cutting in with one hour, five minutes and overtime warnings while I am in
the middle of a connection, that idea STINKS. Most of us know how to tell
time and we might be in the middle of a down/upload. You want our download
should be screwed up by Telenet sticking a line in about the time?

>Suppose we use the horrible 30 hour limit.  Suppose *I* calculate that
>I'm at 29 hours.  I use an hour of time, because I really don't intend
>to pay for any extra time.  Then I get billed, way after the month is over,
>for an extra hour of time because my calculations were off by an hour.
>
>That ain't fair, boys.
>
>Since YOU'RE the ones who want the limit, it's YOUR duty to tell us when
>we're about to and are exceeding it.

This is really something. YOU miscalculate the time. YOU fail to read the
time messages given after every connection. And it is Telenet's fault that
you are billed. To expect them to cut in every few minutes and tell you
the accumulated time used is ridiculous. The phone company operators will
do it *if you pay extra for the call*.

And do not twist things out of context by saying '...since you are the ones
who want the limit, it is your duty to tell us...'. This is baloney.
They do not 'want a thirty hour limit'. They are saying the new product they
have for sale effective next month is a package allowing thirty hours of
calling for thirty dollars per month. They do not want a limit on your
usage. They want you to use as much as you like and *pay for it with a
reasonable amount of money*.

Do you use any other time sensitive services? Does AT&T tell you when you
have used up your one hour of Reach Out time? Does your local cable company
monitor your use of the system and make you specifically authorize a choice
of programs before playing them, just in case you might have 'miscalculated
how much time you had spent on the movie channel this month'?

>Just for your info, if the above scenario ever occurs, and every time it
>does occur, I intend to contest the charges.  I consider this situation
>much like someone sending me a package I didn't request then billing my
>charge card for it.  I would keep the gift and contest the charge.  Now
>I'm sure you don't want to go about giving people free time, do you?

They are not doing anything of the sort. And they have said any questions
about the charges each month will be answered in a DETAILED accounting which
you will recieve. It will look a lot like your phone bill, with a list of
connections and times listed one after another. You did 'request the package
sent to you' by logging on and entering your password, just like you request
the services of the telephone company every time you lift the receiver and
dial a number.

With your attitude, I hope the first time you dispute the charges and
refuse to pay the bill that they cut your account immediatly and put you
in collection.

>By the way, I do NOT consider $4.50 an hour cheap.

No, but I consider you to be cheap.

>At $30 a month
>PCP will cost more than my monthly local phone bill, and that's for two
>phone lines.  I have NEVER considered long distance inexpensive.  I
>would never pay $4.50 for extensive periods of time on the phone.
>
>Geez, I consider a movie in a theater expensive at $6/person, and that's
>about $3/hour.  Let's keep things in perspective, here!)
>
>Andrew Burt 				   			ncar!isis!aburt

If you want to keep things in perspective, then you should bear in mind that
the least expensive long distance service available is Reach Out at $7.55
per hour. The various long distance carriers all get between 12-14 cents per
minute in the middle of the night and all day Saturday/Sunday. None of them
notify you as you go along regards the amount of their service being used.

Long distance may not be (to you) inexpensive, but I think it is quite a
bargain. In any event, Telenet is asking for $1 per hour, and has agreed to
permit multiple accounts per user/household. If you think $1 per hour is
some sort of ripoff, then I cannot understand why you even own a modem. You
say 'at $30 per month PCP will cost more than your monthly phone bill...'
and I can only assume your monthly phone bill is somewhere between $25-30
per month since you did not offer this complaint when PCP was charging $25
per month. What do you think your phone bill would be without PCP? Or would
you simply not make as many long distance data calls?

--
Patrick Townson
  patrick@chinet.chi.il.us / US Mail: 60690-1570 (personal zip code)

brian@cbw1.UUCP (Brian Cuthie) (01/08/89)

In article <2384@isis.UUCP> aburt@isis.UUCP (Andrew Burt) writes:
>In article <8901050251.AA14569@nessus.telenet.com> dkpurks@nessus.UUCP writes:
[...]
>>          1.   Many people are suggesting  that it  is the  30 hour monthly
>>               usage  cap ... which concerns  them  the  most.
>
>Yes, it is.  Particularly since PCP was sold as a service with "unlimited"
>usage.  Given that there are around 500 hours a month available for usage
>under the old rules, 30 is awfully small.
>
>If the cap is in place to discourage heavy usage, let's discuss what "heavy"
>usage is.  (If this is really the issue then I would say that "heavy" would
>be using more than half the available time, or greater than 250 hours a
>month.  If you want to place a cap at that level then the objections would
>die down from many people.)
>
>Thus, amend my proposal to read:
>
>A.	$1/hr for connect time, with a $30 minimum (that is,
>		a $30 flat fee for the first 0-250 hours).
>
>B.	$1 for each additional hour above 250 hours.

Huh?  If in fact, there are 500 hours of usage under the old rules, what
makes you think that 'heavy' usage should account for half of those hours.
From what I have read (no, I don't use PC-Persuit; and no that doesn't mean
my opinion is less valid either) there are serious resource contention
problems with PC-P.  If, for a second, you assume that GTE probably get's
more than a few calls per day to complain about unavailable resources (such
as dial out modems) then it just *may* be possible that part of their plan
here is to make the rate structure such that it drives those people who
simply connect and hang around for a few hours to be more efficient.
Increasing the number of 'flat rate' hours doesn't solve the problem.
Since the dial out modems appear to exist only for PC-P, and it takes bucks
to increase the size of those pools, guess who has to pay ?

>>               ... Raising  the  fixed  monthly charge
>>               penalizes those  who use  the service  less than  30 hours a
>>               month (which is statistically the vast majority).
>
>I don't care for ambiguous terms like "vast majority".  Is that 50.1% or 99.9%?

So WHO CARES if it's 50.1% or 99.9%.  It's still a majority and if you're
not a member of the majority, then you are a member of the minority.

>>          2.   When over  cap usage  billing begins in May 1989, a detailed
>>               statement will be mailed to you no less  than 10  days prior
>>               to your  credit card (or checking) account being debited, if
>>               your account is to be charged for more  than just  the fixed
>>               monthly charge.
>
>Here I have a MAJOR objection.  I really don't count the minutes I'm
>logged in, nor does it look like I'd be able to *accurately* count the
>minutes even if I wanted to (which I don't, but that's not important
>since I **can't**).
>
>I feel it is incumbent on Telenet to inform me, WHILE I'M LOGGED IN, that
>I am about to exceed my usage cap (be it 30 or 250 hours).  A warning
>one hour, five minutes, and at the point of exceeding it would only be
>fair.

This is historically untrue.  Most local telephone companies offer a service
that is called message rate.  You are alloted a certain number of calls (65
here in Maryland) and have to pay some fee ($.09) per call after that
threshold has been met.  Cellular telephone is based on usage.  I have a
plan which provides a certain number of free minutes beyond which I must pay
$$$.  Do they tell me when I've crossed the threshold ?? NO WAY!  They want
to make money and they hope I don't notice.  They are under no obligation
to warn me simply because I don't count/time my own calls.

GTE has been clear on what they think the service should cost.  Don't expect
them to pamper you because you lack the ability to accurately count the
number of hours on their system.  It is *their* system and they have a right
to charge for it.  Fortunately this is a country where you have *many* other
choices.  If you don't like the rates then don't use it.

>Geez, I consider a movie in a theater expensive at $6/person, and that's
>about $3/hour.  Let's keep things in perspective, here!)

Yea, let's.  What does the price of a movie have to do with this !?

>Andrew Burt 				   			ncar!isis!aburt

-brian

--
Brian D. Cuthie                                 uunet!umbc3!cbw1!brian
Columbia, MD                                    brian@umbc3.umd.edu

sl@van-bc.UUCP (pri=-10 Stuart Lynne) (01/08/89)

In article <7400@chinet.chi.il.us> patrick@chinet.chi.il.us (Patrick A. Townson) writes:
>Long distance may not be (to you) inexpensive, but I think it is quite a
>bargain. In any event, Telenet is asking for $1 per hour, and has agreed to
>permit multiple accounts per user/household. If you think $1 per hour is
>some sort of ripoff, then I cannot understand why you even own a modem. You
>say 'at $30 per month PCP will cost more than your monthly phone bill...'
>and I can only assume your monthly phone bill is somewhere between $25-30
>per month since you did not offer this complaint when PCP was charging $25
>per month. What do you think your phone bill would be without PCP? Or would
>you simply not make as many long distance data calls?

I agree. I only wish we could get it up here in Canada.

I think that Telenet might want to go one step farther and not ask you to
buy multiple accounts, but just bill a flat $1/hr after the first 30 hours.

Otherwise you are going to have to guestimate your usage to the closest 30
hours and pre-subsribe for that amount. Also it will be a royal pain in the
ass to have to change you dialing scripts after you exceed each 30 hour
increment to use a new account number.

Another alternative would be to introduce a different type of service
(seeing as they are introducing one new service, a second shouldn't be that
hard). Have an Extended PC Pursuit service. Charge $50/month plus $1/hr
after the first 50 hours.

Now, how about all you folks suggesting to Telenet in your messages to them
that it would be nice if your northern neighbours could use PC Pursuit as
well! We'd even pay the bills in $US. Now that we have free trade why
shouldn't we get access to some of these neat services?

--
Stuart.Lynne@wimsey.bc.ca {ubc-cs,uunet}!van-bc!sl     Vancouver,BC,604-937-7532

jwright@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu (Jim Wright) (01/08/89)

In article <7400@chinet.chi.il.us> patrick@chinet.chi.il.us (Patrick A. Townson) writes:
>And they have said any questions
>about the charges each month will be answered in a DETAILED accounting which
>you will recieve. It will look a lot like your phone bill, with a list of
>connections and times listed one after another.

Either you have inside information, or your reading something into
the messages which really isn't there.  Telenet has said that users
will receive a bill on or about the 15th of the following month which
says how many hours you are billed for.  They have not said what form
this billing will take.  There have been many messages which ask for
just such a detailed billing procedure, but none from Telenet.

I think it is valid to question the form of the new bills.  A
bill which simply lists total hours and cost due is unacceptable.
Would you pay a phone bill which said "By mah reckonin' you dun 40
hours of phone callin'.  You owes me $75."?

The point is exaggerated, but it is still an unanswered issue.

pavlov@hscfvax.harvard.edu (G.Pavlov) (01/08/89)

In article <630@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu>, jwright@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu (Jim Wright) writes:

> Would you pay a phone bill which said "By mah reckonin' you dun 40
> hours of phone callin'.  You owes me $75."?

  A lot of us do, where economies similar to PC Pursuit are available.  For in-
  stance, NYNEX offers an intrastate (NY) toll call discount schedule: a flat
  fee for up to n hours, then a reduced rate for usage above that point.  In
  return, it sends us a summary bill with no call itemization.  So I have to
  keep track of my usage myself, to know how much I've spent and to be able
  to doublecheck the phone company's claims.

  No one forces me to use this service.  I do because it saves me money.  But
  to guarantee that I save money I have to keep track of what I am doing. Seems
  fair enough to me.

  greg pavlov, fstrf, amherst, ny

brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) (01/08/89)

I am amazed at all the people who seem to think that GTE is a non-profit
organization duty-bound to find the nicest system for you.

People say, Telenet should just charge $1/hour over 30 hours.  Just
like AT&T's Reach Out America always bills by the minute, right?

Telenet is running a business.  They are selling bulk service in 30
hour units.  If you don't like it, go to another service, or start your
own.

If you really thing you could make more money than they do, they would
be glad (assuming they trust you) to sell you their whole net at night
for their current revenue figures, and let you resell it according
to your "superior" scheme.

People have to realize that unlimited use schemes are not, and never
were there because the vendors want everybody to make unlimited use.

They are there because it makes billing far easier and cheaper for both
the customer and the company; because most people are small users and
thus subsidize the heavy users and because in regulated areas, a monopoly
phone company can make more money that way.

But watch yourself.  In many areas, local calling is "unlimited use."
What if everybody just started making all-day-long local calls, running
networks over them, replacing leased lines and setting up permanent
intercoms.  Or if they chained them together to make long distance
calls or fake out FX service?

I can tell you right away the unlimited use would disappear.  Unlimited
use service is an admistrative convenience that only lasts when it
isn't abused.
--
Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd.  --  Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

patrick@chinet.chi.il.us (Patrick A. Townson) (01/08/89)

In article <630@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu> jwright@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu (Jim Wright) writes:
>Either you have inside information, or your reading something into
>the messages which really isn't there.  Telenet has said that users
>will receive a bill on or about the 15th of the following month which
>says how many hours you are billed for.  They have not said what form
>this billing will take.  There have been many messages which ask for
>just such a detailed billing procedure, but none from Telenet.
>                                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>I think it is valid to question the form of the new bills.  A
>bill which simply lists total hours and cost due is unacceptable.
>Would you pay a phone bill which said "By mah reckonin' you dun 40
>hours of phone callin'.  You owes me $75."?
>
>The point is exaggerated, but it is still an unanswered issue.

The second letter from Telenet, which amended the original letter from last
weekend, referred to DETAILED billing after the initial 30 hour package was
used. If the bill for Pursuit even slightly resembles the bill for Telemail
(a Telenet product for which I have an account) or the billing sent to their
corporate customers, it will be *quite* detailed. The billing I get for
Telemail lists to the minute the amount of time I was online via the toll
free 800 number, for example, and the number of messages sent, etc.

The tone of your message makes it sound as if those people are real shysters
who practice mail fraud by sending out undocumented bills.

--

rich@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US (Rich Andrews) (01/08/89)

In article <8901050251.AA14569@nessus.telenet.com> dkpurks@nessus.UUCP (System Administrator) writes:

>              ADDITIONAL ANNOUNCEMENTS and ANSWERs to COMMON QUESTIONS
>                   REGARDING PC PURSUIT PRICE CHANGE ANNOUNCEMENT.
>

>          To ALL PC Pursuit customers:
>
>          There  has  been  an  overwhelming  response  to the recent price
>
>          1.   WE HAVE DECIDED TO WAIVE THE  LIMITATION OF  ONE ACCOUNT PER
>               PERSON.   There is  now NO LIMIT to the number of PC Pursuit
>               accounts that  can  be  ordered/owned  by  a  single person.

                Gee that is really is not acceptable to me...how about a higher
                cap for more money....say $20 for 30 additional hours and 10
                dollars for another 30, and 10 more for unlimited PCP usage?

                 < text deleted>

Gee I thought that the whole purpose was to make a little money on some network equipment
when it was not being used.  The original concept some how got lost in there somewhere.
It seems that everyone I know is going to drop PCP as soon as the time limit goes into
effect.  When the Consumer Utilities Board took away Call-Pak (metro service to some)
here in chicago the people did not complain loudly enough as they tried to do the same thing
in Indiana and CUB got shot down.  If the idea is to  make PCP profitable then maybe it
just another case of corporate greed as the equipment is going to be there if it is used
or not.  I cannot imagine that PCP is not profitable.  I am going to wait and see what
happens and if it goes into effect then I am going to cancel my account.
--
Any opinions expressed are my own.  Now, for a limited time, they can be yours
too, for the incredible price of only $19.95.  Simply send $19.95 (in Alterian

aburt@isis.UUCP (Andrew Burt) (01/09/89)

> =  <7400@chinet.chi.il.us> patrick@chinet.chi.il.us (Patrick A. Townson):
>> =  <2384@isis.UUCP> aburt@isis.UUCP (Andrew Burt):
>>> = dkpurks@telenet
>>>          1.   Many people are suggesting  that it  is the  30 hour monthly
>>>               usage  cap ... which concerns  them  the  most.
>>
>>Yes, it is.  Particularly since PCP was sold as a service with "unlimited"
>>usage.  Given that there are around 500 hours a month available for usage
>>under the old rules, 30 is awfully small.
>
>But the service which was sold last year and the year before are no longer
>available. The service you have been purchasing is being discontinued. Is
>Telenet required to make something available forever just because they made
>it available at one time?

No, of course not, but they could have gone about the matter in a way that
didn't look like pure greed was the motive.  (And if you want to bring
capitalism into it, fine, I've already considered that angle and still feel
their actions arrogant and insulting.)

Instead, I feel that I signed up for a service that after a very short
time was changed to something other than I signed up for.

>>>               ... Raising  the  fixed  monthly charge
>>>               penalizes those  who use  the service  less than  30 hours a
>>>               month (which is statistically the vast majority).
>>
>>I don't care for ambiguous terms like "vast majority".  Is that 50.1% or 99.9%?
>

>What difference does it make? Elections are won by 51.1% of the voters acting
>in unison as well as 99.9%? About a year ago, Telenet did an analysis of
>their traffic on PCP, and found about 80% of the users were on an hour per
>day or less.

It matters because at 50.1%, 49.9% of the people will be getting higher
bills; knowing that, I would feel even more strongly that was an action
motivated by pure greed, not to improve the service for those using it.
at 99.9% I'd feel it was fairly justified action, just not well presented.

What inside information tells you it's 80%, by the way?

>How do
>you manage to control your telephone bills each month without looking at
>the clock from time to time?

My phone bill is flat rate.  I rather like it that way.  If I had to look
at the clock all the time I would find using the phone far less pleasureable
than now and would use it far less often.

As far as PCP already telling me how long I've been connected, thanks for
telling me.  Now I know.  Those semi-random numbers were never explained
to be what you say they are.  (This lack of proper documentation about
telenet has always bothered me, but I never had much cause to care before.)

>Do you use any other time sensitive services? Does AT&T tell you when you
>have used up your one hour of Reach Out time? Does your local cable company
>monitor your use of the system and make you specifically authorize a choice
>of programs before playing them, just in case you might have 'miscalculated
>how much time you had spent on the movie channel this month'?

No, I really prefer to stay away from systems like this.

>...You did 'request the package
>sent to you' by logging on and entering your password, just like you request
>the services of the telephone company every time you lift the receiver and
>dial a number.

I requested a service with ***unlimited*** calling.

>With your attitude, I hope the first time you dispute the charges and
>refuse to pay the bill that they cut your account immediatly and put you
>in collection.

Fine, that will probably cost them more in the long run.

>>By the way, I do NOT consider $4.50 an hour cheap.
>
>No, but I consider you to be cheap.

If keeping an eye on expeditures, weighing alternatives, and choosing the
best deal is cheap, then I'm proud to be "cheap".

I still consider $4.50/hr expensive.  Perhaps you would too if you
woke up and thought about that being higher than minimum wage, for example.

While I make better than minimum wage, how could you have known that
when you replied?  How could you know, for example, that I'm not making
$15k a year?

If "cheap" means I'm cautious about spending money, and that I manage to
invest some each year so that I'll have some money when I retire, yeah,
I'm cheap!

Let's not forget, PCP is *entertainment* for many of us.  I'm not using
it for business.  Hence my comparison below to a movie.  And to my phone
bill.

Maybe if more people watched their expenses we wouldn't have the massive
consumer debt problem we do in this country.  If this is "cheap", I'm
all for it.

>>At $30 a month
>>PCP will cost more than my monthly local phone bill, and that's for two
>>phone lines.  I have NEVER considered long distance inexpensive.  I
>>would never pay $4.50 for extensive periods of time on the phone.
>>
>>Geez, I consider a movie in a theater expensive at $6/person, and that's
>>about $3/hour.  Let's keep things in perspective, here!)
>>

>If you want to keep things in perspective, then you should bear in mind that
>the least expensive long distance service available is Reach Out at $7.55
>per hour.

I don't have "reach out" -- I don't make that many long distance calls.
By choice.  Because it is so expensive.

I prefer to have my options open, not closed.  Flat rates are open.  Whenever
you have to weigh each call as being necessary or not (as in LD and now PCP)
then options are being closed.  Fun is certainly being lost.  And PCP was
never more than fun in this house.

>If you think $1 per hour is
>some sort of ripoff, then I cannot understand why you even own a modem.

Yeah, but you can't pay it in $1 increments.  You have to pay it in $30
increments!

>and I can only assume your monthly phone bill is somewhere between $25-30
>per month since you did not offer this complaint when PCP was charging $25
>per month.

I thought $25 was high, you're right.

>What do you think your phone bill would be without PCP? Or would
>you simply not make as many long distance data calls?

You got it.  I wouldn't call the systems I do.  Period.

I'd rent a buck movie instead.
--

David_W_Tamkin@cup.portal.com (01/09/89)

From Patrick Townson's article <7400@chinet.chi.il.us>:

> Telenet *DOES AND ALWAYS HAS* told you the length of time of your connection
> to a given place. Read the disconnect message when you disconnect from an
> outdial. On the right side is a string of figures indicating the number
> of days:hours:minutes:seconds the connection was up. Make a note of these
> in the same way you estimate during the month how much your telephone long
> distance bill is going to be.

Telenet provides that information solely when the DAF or outdialer to which
you have connected allows you to make a graceful exit back to the Telenet @
prompt.  You don't always get your connection time when a DAF locks up and
you must escape to the @ prompt and use the d command; and you can bet that
you'll never get it on occasions when Telenet locks up as well and you must
tell your modem to hang up!

Since at no time can you predict whether the host will behave well enough
during a call you are about to place to let you make it all the way to a
graceful exit back to Telenet, you have to have your own timekeeping to keep
track of your PCP usage once the hourly rates start.  And even then it is
anyone's guess how much time they'll tally when you cannot issue the @d
command.

Moreover, I would always compare my own timing of a PCP connection to the
length Telenet gives in the disconnection information, just to see how close
to reality they come and how frequently they overstate it.

The thing never to do is to shut your modem off lazily instead of issuing the
proper logout commands.

David_W_Tamkin@cup.portal.com   ... sun!portal!cup.portal.com!david_w_tamkin
Portal's management and its other customers do their own thinking; I do mine.

rich@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US (Rich Andrews) (01/09/89)

In article <7410@chinet.chi.il.us> patrick@chinet.chi.il.us (Patrick A. Townson) writes:

>The tone of your message makes it sound as if those people are real shysters
>who practice mail fraud by sending out undocumented bills.

I am really tired of getting screwed every time I turn around.  First it was
CUB and now telenet.

	CUB told Ill Bell to drop call pak and IBT was more than happy to oblige.
Now the average phone bill is higher than what it was and now IBT is starting to
drop rates again because they are making too much money.  I think that most of
the people who have accounts with telenet are going to drop the service and get
telebits and use AT&T long distance and save money.

rich andrews

--

jwright@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu (Jim Wright) (01/09/89)

In article <7410@chinet.chi.il.us> patrick@chinet.chi.il.us (Patrick A. Townson) writes:
>The second letter from Telenet, which amended the original letter from last
>weekend, referred to DETAILED billing after the initial 30 hour package was
>used.

Yes, they referred to this.
Does this mean they'll include both dollars AND cents?  :-)

>If the bill for Pursuit even slightly resembles the bill for Telemail
>(a Telenet product for which I have an account) or the billing sent to their
>corporate customers, it will be *quite* detailed.

Ok, if it does, good.  I'd like to know this before the bill arrives.

>The tone of your message makes it sound as if those people are real shysters
>who practice mail fraud by sending out undocumented bills.

This wasn't intended.  I hoped to make that clear in the final line of
the posting.  (Referred to obvious exaggeration in message.)

jamesd@percival.UUCP (James Deibele) (01/09/89)

In article <7410@chinet.chi.il.us> patrick@chinet.chi.il.us (Patrick A. Townson) writes:
>The tone of your message makes it sound as if those people are real shysters
>who practice mail fraud by sending out undocumented bills.

No, they're real incompetents who send out incorrect bills.  There was a major
problem in 1987 with inaccurate bills being sent out by GTE.  Ask anyone who's
ever experienced the tender mercies of using US Sprint what they think about
the accuracy of the bills they receive.

If Telemail bills are accurate, they are the only part of GTE that seems to be
capable of generating proper bills.  We'll wait and see what happens with the
new system, hmmm?

--
James S. Deibele   jamesd@qiclab or jamesd@percival
TECHbooks: The Computer Book Specialists   (800) TECH-BKS

ron@ron.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (01/10/89)

This reminds me of a skit by a comedian (I think it might have been
Flip Wilson) that tells the story of a kid's lemonade stand that had
a sign that said "All the lemonade you can drink for a dime."  A
customer put down his dime and drank up a glass of lemonade and
then asked for a refill.  The kid refused.  The customer pointed out
that the sign said "All the lemonade you can drink for a dime."
The kid pointed out that one glass is all the lemonade you can
drink for a dime.

-Ron

All the news that's fit to print.

patrick@chinet.chi.il.us (Patrick A. Townson) (01/10/89)

In article <2385@isis.UUCP> aburt@isis.UUCP (Andrew Burt) writes:
>> =  <7400@chinet.chi.il.us> patrick@chinet.chi.il.us (Patrick A. Townson):
motivated by pure greed, not to improve the service for those using it.
>at 99.9% I'd feel it was fairly justified action, just not well presented.
>
>What inside information tells you it's 80%, by the way?

It is not a matter of 'inside information'. Telenet has quoted that figure
in a couple of their mailings and also on the Net Exchange at one time.

>>How do
>>you manage to control your telephone bills each month without looking at
>>the clock from time to time?
>
>My phone bill is flat rate.  I rather like it that way.  If I had to look
>at the clock all the time I would find using the phone far less pleasureable
>than now and would use it far less often.

Well, flat rate service is a thing of the past in Chicago (as of March,1987),
and most other large communities. Again, it was a problem of abuse. When
our local telco (Illinois Bell) first started unlimited calling packages
back sometime in the 1930's, they never dreamed how fifty years later, the
use of modems would tripe and quadruple the average 'umlimited' usage people
had been putting on the system.

>>...You did 'request the package
>>sent to you' by logging on and entering your password, just like you request
>>the services of the telephone company every time you lift the receiver and
>>dial a number.
>
>I requested a service with ***unlimited*** calling.

They don't offer that billing package any longer. The not-for-profit
charitable services department of Telenet -- you know, the division created
to comply with the consitutional right to use modems and BBS's for unlimited
entertainment is no more. Now they run a business; and in a business-like
way.

>>With your attitude, I hope the first time you dispute the charges and
>>refuse to pay the bill that they cut your account immediatly and put you
>>in collection.
>
>Fine, that will probably cost them more in the long run.

Not really. The cost of collection/attorney's fees are your responsibility.
Check out your service agreement with Telenet.

>If keeping an eye on expeditures, weighing alternatives, and choosing the
>best deal is cheap, then I'm proud to be "cheap".

Watching your expenditures, weighing alternatives and general being a smart
shopper is not being 'cheap'. Some of the techniques you suggested for
delaying legitimate payment are cheap.

>I still consider $4.50/hr expensive.  Perhaps you would too if you
>woke up and thought about that being higher than minimum wage, for example.
>
>While I make better than minimum wage, how could you have known that
>when you replied?  How could you know, for example, that I'm not making
>$15k a year?
>Let's not forget, PCP is *entertainment* for many of us.  I'm not using
>it for business.  Hence my comparison below to a movie.  And to my phone
>bill.

But Telenet is not interested in the least in how much money you make in
a year's time. Going to the theatre or out to dinner is also entertainment.
Do you select a fancy restaurant then expect them to set their prices
based on your ability and willingness to pay? Telenet is not operated with
a 'sliding scale based on income' approach to revenue. Do you go to
purchase a new computer or new car and suggest in those cases also that
your income should be the concern of the auto dealer or the computer store?

>Maybe if more people watched their expenses we wouldn't have the massive
>consumer debt problem we do in this country.  If this is "cheap", I'm
>all for it.

I quite agree with you. I rarely use credit cards for just this reason. You
cannot eat more than you produce. That should be elemetary, yet people get
more deeply entangled with their credit cards every day.

>I prefer to have my options open, not closed.  Flat rates are open.  Whenever
>you have to weigh each call as being necessary or not (as in LD and now PCP)
>then options are being closed.  Fun is certainly being lost.  And PCP was
>never more than fun in this house.

I agree it was a lot more fun when the time was open-ended, Apparently quite
a few people felt this way -- too many where Telenet and many local telcos
are concerned.

Newsgroups: comp.dcom.modems
Subject: Re: PC Pursuit pricing amendment

Newsgroups: comp.dcom.modems
--

jpdres10@usl-pc.usl.edu (Green Eric Lee) (01/11/89)

In message <1446@percival.UUCP>, jamesd@percival.UUCP (James Deibele) says:
>No, they're real incompetents who send out incorrect bills.  There was a major
>problem in 1987 with inaccurate bills being sent out by GTE.  Ask
                                                         ^^^
>ever experienced the tender mercies of using US Sprint what they think about
                                              ^^^^^^^^^
>If Telemail bills are accurate, they are the only part of GTE that
                                                           ^^^ Note
that GTE no longer owns any part of US Sprint or Telenet. To their
credit, they bailed out quite awhile ago (long before the recent PC
Pursuit rate change fiasco). Telenet is owned by United Telecom, the
parent company of both Telenet and US Sprint. I hate to see a good
company repeatedly slandered needlessly... it's not GTE's fault that
Telenet's PC Pursuit outdial manager needs some help (specifically, a
primer in public relations, and an idea of what service he's
selling... I got the feeling that he was genuinely shocked at the
outrage over the rate change).

As for US Sprint, weren't they recently sued for charging for "BUSY"
signals? Or was that some other long distance carrier?

--
Eric Lee Green                            P.O. Box 92191, Lafayette, LA 70509
   {uunet!dalsqnt,killer}!usl!elg

chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) (01/11/89)

If I may step in for a moment....

In article <7420@chinet.chi.il.us> patrick@chinet.chi.il.us
(Patrick A. Townson) writes:
>But Telenet is not interested in the least in how much money you make in
>a year's time. Going to the theatre or out to dinner is also entertainment.
>Do you select a fancy restaurant then expect them to set their prices
>based on your ability and willingness to pay?

No; but as I see it, people seem to feel that what GTE did is different.
A more appropriate analogy would be going into an inexpensive restaurant,
buying the all-you-can-eat salad bar, and upon leaving, being presented
with a big bill and the explanation, `oh, we dropped the all-you-can-eat
deal while you were eating.'

I am *NOT* saying that this is the One True Analogy.  I mean only that
(as I see it) people feel that this analogy is more appropriate than yours.

brian@cbw1.UUCP (Brian Cuthie) (01/11/89)

In article <15401@mimsy.UUCP> chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) writes:
>If I may step in for a moment....
[...]
>No; but as I see it, people seem to feel that what GTE did is different.
>A more appropriate analogy would be going into an inexpensive restaurant,
>buying the all-you-can-eat salad bar, and upon leaving, being presented
>with a big bill and the explanation, `oh, we dropped the all-you-can-eat
>deal while you were eating.'

No, I would ammend this to read:

A person likes going to an all-you-can-eat place and finds one day that the
sign reads: "Notice, all-you-can-eat policy will be terminated in 3 months."
The result being that the person finds a new place to eat.

Telenet is *not* changing the billing status of their system in mid use.
They *are* giving 3 months notice of a change in that service.   Perfectly
fair.

As a side note, I haven't quite figured out what it is that makes people
think that businesses exist for their pleasure.  Telenet was *never*
intended to do anything but make big $$$$ during the day from other
businesses.   They recognized excess capacity at night could be used by home
computer hobbiests.  They structured their rates according to what they, at
that time, thought were fair.  How could they know that some people would
use more that 100 hours per month.

Actually, I don't understand what the big complaint is.  PCP is effectively
$1.00/hour to anywhere you like (that they serve, of course).  Long distance
phone rates are more like $15.00/hour.  Considering that you may now buy as
many hours at $1.00/hour that you like (albeit in 30 hour increments), WHAT
IS THE BASIS OF ALL THE BELLY ACHING ????

-brian