[comp.dcom.modems] information on 2400 modems

zanetti@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Gianluigi Zanetti) (01/10/89)

Naive question: what is the best bang for the buck in
external, hayes compatible, 2400bd modems ?

thanx,

Gianluigi Zanetti
Applied and Computational Math.
Princeton University

geoff@Fernwood.MPK.CA.US (Geoff Goodfellow) (01/10/89)

In article <5247@phoenix.Princeton.EDU>, zanetti@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Gianluigi Zanetti)
asks about a source for 2400 baud modems.

I use Supra2400 external hayes compatible modems.  I use 'em for both
dialout/dialin on the fernwood MIPS-M/1000 for UUCP and on a PC-386 for
PRODIGY.  Work great at 2400 & 1200 baud.

$139 from Compucat @ 408-353-1836 (Los Gatos, CA).

kwc@naucse.UUCP (Ken Collier) (01/11/89)

In article <5247@phoenix.Princeton.EDU>, zanetti@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Gianluigi Zanetti) writes:
> Naive question: what is the best bang for the buck in
> external, hayes compatible, 2400bd modems ?

About two months ago I bought a 2400 bd Supra modem for $149.00 from
Programs Plus:

1-800-832-3201
75 Research Drive
Stratford, Conneticut 06497

After looking long and hard this was the least expensive, Hayes compatible
modem I could find.  Programs Plus is not the only mail order house which
offers this price but I have had good luck doing business with them in the
past and decided to buy from them.  My modem arrived (in Arizona) within
three days, blue label.  I have nothing bad to say about my new modem.
It appears to be completely Hayes compatible and comes with a nice manual
and help sheet as well as those "free" Compuserve and Telenet coupons that
generally accompany modems.  Another professor in my department has been
using is Supra modem for over a year now and has had no problems with it.

Happy shopping!!

skrenta@eecs.nwu.edu (Richard Skrenta) (01/11/89)

About a month ago I purchased a Practical Periphials 2400SA modem.  I didn't
have problems calling systems with it, but people calling me with MNP modems
often couldn't connect.  I decided that either I should shell out the bucks
for a good MNP level 5 modem or else get a REALLY cheap one, so I returned it.

Now in the January issue of Computer Shopper there are 2400 baud external
modems advertised for as little as $125, $120 and $109.  Does anyone know
anything about these modems?  Are these the result of the "new chips sets"
or are they just crud?

Rich Skrenta

jpdres10@usl-pc.usl.edu (Green Eric Lee) (01/12/89)

In article <1108@naucse.UUCP> kwc@naucse.UUCP (Ken Collier) writes:
>In article <5247@phoenix.Princeton.EDU>, zanetti@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Gianluigi Zanetti) writes:
>> Naive question: what is the best bang for the buck in
>> external, hayes compatible, 2400bd modems ?
>About two months ago I bought a 2400 bd Supra modem for $149.00 from

The Supra modem certainly is a good bargain. I have a friend who's
been using one for quite awhile, with no problems. BUT, if you are
going to run a BBS with a Supra modem, it has a bug that renders it
useless with some of the more primitive BBS programs -- if you ever
send it a command string at less than 2400 baud (e.g., "ATH"), it will
NEVER ANSWER AT 2400 AGAIN. Period. ATZ won't even help. The only way
to get it back up to 2400 baud is to turn it off, then back on. Note
that this ONLY affects the auto-answer feature, which is irrelevant to
most of us (who use our modem only for dialout).

This "feature" seems to be common amongst modems that use that
particular chipset. I have an EasyData 2400 that seems to be a
complete clone of the Supramodem, insofar as "features" goes.

Of the low-cost modems I've looked at, the Avatex 2400 doesn't do it.
But, the Avatex 2400 does cost around $30-$40 more, so if you aren't
planning on running a BBS, don't bother.

--
|    // Eric Lee Green              P.O. Box 92191, Lafayette, LA 70509     |
|   //    {uunet!dalsqnt,killer}!usl!elg     (318)989-9849                  |