[comp.dcom.modems] Watson as modem

wendyt@pyrps5 (Wendy Thrash) (01/11/89)

I've thought once or twice about buying Watson* for my PC.  I received mail
from them the other day saying that the product now doubles as a 2400-baud
modem.  Has anyone had experience using Watson as a (1200- or 2400-baud)
modem?

*Watson is a sort of poor-woman's voice mail system or rich-woman's
computerized answering machine; one PC card plus some software, fairly
reasonably priced if it doubles as a modem.

skrenta@eecs.nwu.edu (Richard Skrenta) (01/11/89)

I have a Watson question also, on behalf of a friend.  He'd like to get
all the Watson features, but use them under Xenix.  Does anyone know of
any Xenix drivers which will work with the Watson card?  He said he called
the makers of the card and they said they didn't have any Xenix drivers.

Rich

bfbreedl@sactoh0.UUCP (Bob F. Breedlove) (01/12/89)

In article <54564@pyramid.pyramid.com>, wendyt@pyrps5 (Wendy Thrash) writes:
> Has anyone had experience using Watson as a (1200- or 2400-baud)
> modem?

I have not had personal experience with Watson. However, there is a
sysop here in Sacramento using one to run a BBS and voice mail
system. He has it set up so you have to make two calls. On the
first you tell the system that you wish to call the BBS. Then you
hang up, wait and call back in about 30 seconds. The BBS answers
then. I've called and it works.

--
Bob Breedlove  SYSOP: BOBsBBS (916/929-7511)
        pacbell!sactoh0!bfbreedl

berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu (01/13/89)

Unless things have changed, much of the power of Watson is in a
software package that costs as much as the board.

			Mike Berger
			Department of Statistics
			University of Illinois

			berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu