[comp.dcom.modems] Telebit result codes

bill@ssbn.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) (12/20/88)

I have X3 set but I don't get any of the extended result codes
unless I have S50 set to 255 for PEP.  Also, the modem doesn't
give up right away on a BUSY.  I've nearly destroyed the binding
on TFM but have not been able to find anything that says I should
only get RRING and BUSY when I'm in PEP mode.  Could some kind
could set me straight?  Thanks,
--
Bill Kennedy  usenet      {killer,att,cs.utexas.edu,sun!daver}!ssbn!bill
              internet    bill@ssbn.WLK.COM

snoopy@sopwith.UUCP (Snoopy) (01/15/89)

In article <275@ssbn.WLK.COM> bill@ssbn.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) writes:
| I have X3 set but I don't get any of the extended result codes
| unless I have S50 set to 255 for PEP.  Also, the modem doesn't
| give up right away on a BUSY.  I've nearly destroyed the binding
| on TFM but have not been able to find anything that says I should
| only get RRING and BUSY when I'm in PEP mode.  Could some kind
| could set me straight?  Thanks,

I get extended result codes with or without s50=255.  Sometimes my telebit
doesn't recognise a busy, other times it does.  Sometimes the busy switches
from a normal busy to a fast 'trunk' busy, (!?) and then the telebit
recognises it.

However, I never ever get NO ANSWER.  It returns NO CARRIER instead.
Has anyone else noticed this?  Not a big deal, but something isn't
quite right.

One site I dial into has a TB+ setup to present PEP last.  Many times
it will hang up the connection before getting through all the various
carriers.  My TB+ waits around a bit and then returns NO CARRIER.  If
I manually have my system call again right away, the remote TB+ gets
a little further through the sequence of carriers each time, and after
3-5 tries finally stays on the line long enough to connect.

Has anyone else seen this?  It seems that if it were a timer going off, it
would be the same amount of time each time.  Again, this isn't a serious
problem, uucp just keeps trying until it gets through.
    _____
   /_____\    Snoopy
  /_______\
    |___|     tektronix!tekecs!sopwith!snoopy
    |___|     sun!nosun!illian!sopwith!snoopy

jim@eda.com (Jim Budler) (01/16/89)

In article <85@sopwith.UUCP> snoopy@sopwith.UUCP (Snoopy) writes:
# In article <275@ssbn.WLK.COM> bill@ssbn.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) writes:
# | I have X3 set but I don't get any of the extended result codes
# | unless I have S50 set to 255 for PEP.  Also, the modem doesn't
[...]
#
# I get extended result codes with or without s50=255.  Sometimes my telebit
Me, too. My uucico doesn't recognize anything newer than Hayes 1200, so

I can't use them, but I remember very clearly all those "unknown modem
error" message uucico used to log for a connect fast/comp.

# doesn't recognise a busy, other times it does.  Sometimes the busy switches

Me, too. But most frequently it does recognize it. By listening with the
speaker on, I got the impression that the weaker sounding BUSY signals
were the ones it didn't recognize.

# from a normal busy to a fast 'trunk' busy, (!?) and then the telebit
# recognises it.
#
# However, I never ever get NO ANSWER.  It returns NO CARRIER instead.
# Has anyone else noticed this?  Not a big deal, but something isn't
# quite right.

Same here.

#
# One site I dial into has a TB+ setup to present PEP last.  Many times
# it will hang up the connection before getting through all the various
# carriers.  My TB+ waits around a bit and then returns NO CARRIER.  If
# I manually have my system call again right away, the remote TB+ gets
# a little further through the sequence of carriers each time, and after
# 3-5 tries finally stays on the line long enough to connect.

My manual, under the S92 instructions says that the originating modem
must have S50=255 to call a site answering PEP last (and connect at
PEP), AND have S7 >= 60.

#
# Has anyone else seen this?  It seems that if it were a timer going off, it
# would be the same amount of time each time.  Again, this isn't a serious
# problem, uucp just keeps trying until it gets through.

The length of time to successfully connect is a function of the line
quality. I have my S7=100. I talk to UUNET who answers PEP last. In the
dim reaches of my memory I recall having trouble such as you describe, and
it was before I found the passage under S92 about S7.

# tektronix!tekecs!sopwith!snoopy
# sun!nosun!illian!sopwith!snoopy

jim

--
Jim Budler   address = uucp: ...!{decwrl,uunet}!eda!jim
					 domain: jim@eda.com

hack@merkin.cactus.org (Greg Hackney) (01/16/89)

In article <85@sopwith.UUCP> snoopy@sopwith.UUCP (Snoopy) writes:

>One site I dial into has a TB+ setup to present PEP last.  Many times
>it will hang up the connection before getting through all the various
>carriers.  My TB+ waits around a bit and then returns NO CARRIER.

I increased my "Wait For Carrier Time" (register S7) to 60 seconds.
However, the HDB UUCP gave up before then, so I recompiled it
for 60 seconds also.

Don't you just hate it when people get a Telebit and then configure it
for neighbors to tie up at 1200 baud, and a Telebit can't get in?  1/2 :-)
--
Greg

bill@ssbn.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) (01/16/89)

In article <85@sopwith.UUCP> snoopy@sopwith.UUCP (Snoopy) writes:
>In article <275@ssbn.WLK.COM> bill@ssbn.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) writes:
[ My question deleted and his answer (he doesn't have the problem) ]

>One site I dial into has a TB+ setup to present PEP last.  Many times
>it will hang up the connection before getting through all the various
>carriers.  My TB+ waits around a bit and then returns NO CARRIER.  If
>I manually have my system call again right away, the remote TB+ gets
>a little further through the sequence of carriers each time, and after
>3-5 tries finally stays on the line long enough to connect.

Some kind soul, perhaps in this group, sent me some mail on how to do it
and I heartily recommend it.  My site is on a #5 crossbar switch and doesn't
even have real touch tone (you can hear it ratchet after the tones go in).
The pre-Telebit days taught me to put S7=50 in the dial string, but the kind
soul gave me the key to hooking up with the site who has PEP tones last
(one of my lines does it, my USR Courier 24 just _freaks_ out when it hears
PEP tones).

The idea is to delay for ten seconds or more after dialing before looking
for any result codes.  In HoneyDanBer terms this means
DIALNUMBER\d\d\d\d\d\d\d\d\d\d CONNECT\sFAST \m\c
In Xenix it means changing your dial program so that it doesn't look for
the results until there has been ample time for the remote modem to get
to the PEP tones.  Here I have two dial scripts, one for sites with PEP
tones first and it looks pretty normal, the other for PEP tones last and it
delays a lot before looking for result codes.  The key ingredient is to
keep your modem from giving up with S7=somthing big, I use 50 and then
keeping the dialer busy so that it won't time out looking for the result
code.

I hope that helps, I wish someone could duplicate my problem with no
extended results < PEP speeds :-(