[comp.dcom.modems] short info from a telebit's brochure

nemo@altger.UUCP (Paolo Bevilacqua) (01/14/89)

         Info on Telebit's modems T1000 and TrailBlazer Plus
               (as read on a Telebit's brouchure)

Telebit T1000 modem

FEATURES                               BENEFITS

Delivery 9600 bps throughput over      Supports a wide variety of data
ordinary telephone lines               transfer from routine electronic
                                       mail to large file transfers.

Compatilibilty                         Communications with the installed
                                       base of lower speed 300, 1200, and
                                       2400 bps modems and higher speed
                                       19.2K bps PEP modems at 9600 bps.

Automatic speed selection              Adjusting line speed in that of
                                       the connection modem. Selection is
                                       transparent to the user.

Automatic error control                Ensures error free data transmission
                                       with implementation of Telebit's PEP
                                       error control protocoll at 9600 bps
                                       and MNP protocol through Class 4
                                       at slower speeds.

Connect on poor quality line           Maintain connection when other
                                       modems fail.

Fall-back increment in increment of    Delivers maximum throughput
loss than 100 bps with PEP protocol    on marginal lines

Command set options                    Allow modem to support either the
                                       Telebit PEP modem command set
                                       (Enhanced Command Mode) or the
                                       Hayes V-series modem command
                                       set (Conventional Command Mode).

Remote management with PEP             Permits configuration and testing of
                                       the remote modems on networked sys-
                                       tems from a central site. Eliminates
                                       expenses of on-site technicians.

Diagnostic test facilities             Supports logic, memory and
                                       loopback tests to ensure reliable
                                       performance.

Internal support for UNIX UUCP         Delivers optimum data throghput
Kermit, Xmodem and Ymodem              in a broad range of computer
protocols                              environments.

Stored telephone numbers               Stores up to 10 telephone numbers
                                       in Enhanced Cmmand Mode (50 digits
                                       each) for easy dialing.

Storable configuration profiles        Maintains two profiles of user defined
                                       modem settings and configuration
                                       in non-volatile memory, eliminating
                                       complicated set-up procedures for
                                       frequently used profiles.

Communication software support         Operates with a wide range of
                                       commercial data communications soft
                                       ware. (software list available
                                       by calling 1-800-TELEBIT).

Optional vertical modem stand          Provides users with the opportunity
with corresponding nameplate           to place the modem vertically, saving
                                       valuable desk space.

T1000 Technical Specification Summary

DEVICE INTERFACE

Data Format
Asynchronous, binary

Physical Connector
RS-232C serial port (DB25F connector)

Interface Speeds
300, 1200, 2400, 4800, 9600, 19,200 bps

Flow Control
Software flow control using XON/XOFF commands and/or HP ENQ/ACK
protocol. Hardware flow control using RS-232C RTS/CTS signals

Protocol Support
UNIX UUCP, Kermit, Xmodem, Ymodem

TELEPHONE LINE INTERFACE

Data Rates
Fast Speed: up to 9600 bps
Slow Speed 300, 1200, or 2400 bps

Line Type
Dial-up (RJ11 connector)

Modulations
Fast Speed: Adaptive Duplex Packetized Ensemble Protocol
modems at 9600 bps (PEP 1 protocol)
Slow Speed: Full or half duplex

Compatibility
Any PEP modem at 9600 bps in fast mode
Bell 103J (300 bps)
Bell 212A (1200 bps)
CCITT V.22 (1200 bps)
CCITT V.22 bis (2400 bps)

Receive Sensitivity
-45 dBm

Transmit Level
-9 dBm max

Frequency Offset
+/- 7 Hz Tolerance

Error Control
Fast Speed: PEP Protocol
Slow Speed: MNP Class 4

GENERAL OPERATIONS

Command Set
Support two commands modes

Control switches
Power ON/OFF on rear panel

Indicator Lights
FST      Fast mode (PEP 1 protocol)
SLW      300, 1200, 2400 bps modems
OH       Off hook
RD       Receive data
SD       Send data
CTS      Clear to send
DTR      Data terminal ready
MR       Modem ready

Audio Monitor
On board speaker with three volume settings and ON/OFF control

Power Requirements
115 VAC +10%, -15%
60 Hz @ 0.3 Amp max.

Operating Temperature
50'-120'F, 10'-60'C

Pysical Characteristic
1.4" (H) x 7" (W) x 10" (L)
3.5 cm (H) x 17.7 cm (W) x 25.4 cm (L)

Weight: 3.18 lbs (modem only)
1.44 Kg (modem only)
Optional modem stand

Regulatory Compliance
Meets requirements of FCC Part 66 and DOC CS-03 for direct telephone
network connection and Part 15, Subpart J, Class B for radiation limits

Warranty
One year (standard)
Three years (optional)

Telebit TrailBlazer Plus

FEATURES                               BENEFITS

Data rates up to 18,000 bps withot     Allow critical high-speed applications
data compression; 19,200 with

Bell 103J/212A, CCITT V.22/V.22 bis    Communications with the installed
and PEP protocol compatibility         base of lower speed 300, 1200, and
                                       2400 bps modems and other high-speed
                                       Telebiit and PEP modems.

Command set compatibility              Support the industry-standard
                                       modems command set.

Automatic speed selection              Adjusting line speed in that of
                                       the connection modem. Selection is
                                       transparent to the user.

Automatic error control                Ensures error-free data transmission with
                                       Telebit's PEP error-control protocol at
                                       high speeds and MNP error-control
                                       protocol through Class 3 at low speeds.

Connect on poor quality line           Maintain connection when other
                                       modems fail.

Fall-back increment in increment of    Delivers maximum throughput
loss than 100 bps with PEP protocol    on marginal lines

TALK/DATA switch                       Allow data and voice communications
                                       to share phone-line resources.

Remote management with PEP             Permits configuration and testing
                                       of the remote modems on networked
                                       systems from a central site. Eliminates
                                       expenses of on-site technicians.

Diagnostic test facilities             Supports logic, memory and local
                                       loopback tests to ensure reliable
                                       performance.

Internal support for Kermit, Xmodem,   Delivers optimum data throghput
Ymodem and UNIX UUCP protocols         in a broad range of computer
                                       environments.

Storable configuration profiles        Maintains two profiles of user-defined
                                       configurations in non-volatile memory.
                                       Selectable by front panel switch.

Stored telephone numbers               Stores up to 10 telephone numbers
                                       in Enhanced Cmmand Mode (50 digits
                                       each) for easy dialing.

Storable configuration profiles        Maintains two profiles of user-defined
                                       configurations in non-volatile memory.
                                       Selectable by front panel switch.

Communication software support         Operates with a wide range of
                                       commercial data communications soft
                                       ware. (software list available
                                       by calling 1-800-TELEBIT).

Software definited architecture        Emerging industry standards and new
                                       functions can be readly installed.

Technical Specification Summary

DEVICE INTERFACE

Data Format
Asynchronous, binary

Physical Connector
RS-232C serial port, full buffered for data rates up to 19,200 bps,
independant of modem connection speed

Interface Speeds
300, 1200, 2400, 4800, 9600, 19,200 bps

Flow Control
Software flow control using XON/XOFF commands and/or HP ENQ/ACK
protocol. Hardware flow control using RS-232C RTS/CTS signals

Protocol Support
UNIX UUCP, Kermit, Xmodem, Ymodem

TELEPHONE LINE INTERFACE

Data Rates
Fast Speed: up to 19,200 bps with compression or 18,000 bps without
Slow Speed 300, 1200, or 2400 bps

Line Type
Dial-up (RJ11 connector)
Two-wire unconditioned leased line

Modulations
Fast Speed: Adaptive Duplex Packetized Ensemble Protocol
Slow Speed: Full or half duplex

Compatibility
Any PEP modem at 9600 bps in fast mode
Bell 103J (300 bps)
Bell 212A (1200 bps)
CCITT V.22 (1200 bps)
CCITT V.22 bis (2400 bps)

Receive Sensitivity
-45 dBm

Transmit Level
-9 dBm default; 0 to -15 dBm selectable via resistor for leased line

Frequency Offset
+/- 7 Hz Tolerance

Error Control
Fast Speed: PEP Protocol (16-bit CRC)
Slow Speed: MNP Class 3

GENERAL OPERATIONS

Command Set
Support industry-standard modem command set

Control switches

Front panel:
A/B configuration select
TALK/DATA select
Rear panel:
Power ON/OFF

Indicator Lights
FST      Fast mode (PEP protocol)
SLW      300, 1200, 2400 bps modems
OH       Off hook
RD       Receive data
SD       Send data
CTS      Clear to send
DTR      Data terminal ready
MR       Modem ready

Audio Monitor
Utilizes internal speaker to monitor call progress

Power Requirements

115 VAC +10%, -15%
60 Hz @ 0.5 Amp. max.

230VAC +10%, -15%
50Hz @ 0.25 Amp. max. (option)

Temperature

Operating: 50'-120'F, 10'-60'C
Storage: -40'to 140'F, -40' to 65'C

Altitude

Operating: 20,000 ft. 6,096 m
Storage: 40,000 ft. 12,191 m

Pysical Characteristic
2.4" (H) x 8.5" (W) x 13.0" (L)
6.1 cm (H) x 21.6 cm (W) x 33.0 cm (L)
Weight: 2.8 lbs
        1.27 Kg

Regulatory Compliance
Meets requirements of FCC Part 66 and DOC CS-03 for direct telephone
network connection and FCC Part 15, Subpart J, Class A for radiation limits

Warranty
One year (standard)
Three years (optional)

Telebit Corporation
1345 Shorebird Way
Mountain View, CA 94043-1329
1-800-TELEBIT
(415) 989-3800

Telebit Techologies Canada, Inc.
500 Alden Road. Suite 203
Markham Ontario
Canada L3R 5H5
1-800-387-0455

Telebit Network Techologies S.A.
255, roule d'Alon
L-8011 Strassen
G.D. de Luxembourg
+352 31 95 45

    End-Of-Info

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (01/16/89)

One sort of neat feature that the sales brochure on the Telebit
modems didn't point out is that the Trailblazer version 3.x and
Trailblazer Plus can be programmed to attack dial from the non
volitile directory until they get a connection.  I don't know about
the T-1000, it might have this feature too, but I don't have the
book for the T-1000 here.  The modem can also be set to
automatically attack dial if the carrier is dropped.  These
features are real handy if you're using a trailblazer in a dial-up
link that suffers from either power or phone glitches.

The Trailblazer Plus also has an interface that can be programmed
for bisync operation in an IBM environment.

I also like the fact that the Trailblazer uses an EEPROM for setting
storage, rather than a battery backed RAM.  It seems like the
batteries on the RAM in other modems go dead just about the time
the modem experiences a power outage.

I also like the HST 9624, but I have to give the nod to the
Trailblzers for overall quality and clean interior construction.

--Bill

w-colinp@microsoft.UUCP (Colin Plumb) (01/16/89)

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) wrote:

> One sort of neat feature that the sales brochure on the Telebit
> modems didn't point out is that the Trailblazer version 3.x and
> Trailblazer Plus can be programmed to attack dial from the non
> volitile directory until they get a connection.
> The modem can also be set to
> automatically attack dial if the carrier is dropped.

Very interesting... I hadn't noticed this feature in my perusal of the
Trailblazer Plus manuals, and a quick re-check doesn't spot anthting.

How are these features invoked?

My TT+ wish-list is for a speed selection on pulse dialling, and
a more robust &R1 command, that is queued instead of flushing the
buffers.  How the hell is my script supposed to know the buffers
are empty and it's safe to diddle compression again?
--
	-Colin (uunet!microsof!w-colinp)

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (01/18/89)

Page 4-29 of the 90048-01 Rev.A "Commands and Registers Reference
Manual" for the Trailblazer Plus says that automatic redial is
accomplished with S103.  It looks like option 2 is the one:

"2   Enable automatic dialing whenever the modem is on-hook and the
     DTR control signal is active.  This option allows the modem to
     automatically attempt to re-establish a dropped connection
     without operation intervention which is useful when the local
     DTE behaves as if it were connected to a dedicated line.

     In each of the above cases, the modem will attempt to connect
     in either originate or answer mode depending on the setting of
     the S100 register.

     For modems which have front panel switches, the number dialed
     is dependent on the setting of the A/B switch when the dialing
     function is initiated.  If the A/B switch is in the A position
     the first number (N0) in the Number Directory is dialed;
     whereas if the switch is in the B position the second number
     (N1) is dialed.

     If you modem does not have front panel switches, it will dial
     the first number in the Number Directory when the auto-dial is
     initiated via the DTR signal as described for options 1 and
     2."

S101 is probably the register for you if you are running the
trailblazers on a leased line.  Option 1 attempts a connect in
answer mode every 20 seconds whenever a carrier is NOT present.
Option 2 attempts to connect in originate mode every 20 seconds if
a carrier is not present.

You'd need to remember to set S103 back to option 0 after you
finish your call.  Uucico would need minor hacking if you were
running a uugetty on the line to make sure that the S103 was at
option 0.  I'm not exactly sure what to do about the potentially
indeterminate start-up delay if you didn't have HDB source for
hacking.  In Xenix you could hanle it nicely in your dialer.c
script.  I suppose with HDB, you could do your dialing inside your
own c program and then fork uuccico and wait for uucico to finish,
then go ahead and kill the modem.

By the way, I use a bunch of /d (22 to be exact) in my dialer
expect-send string when attempting a PEP answer last connect.  We
have ESS-4 (apparently) here, and even long distance calls seem to
make it in 40 sec (including the answer handshake).  That gives us
4 seconds to spare.  Season to tase for crossbar or step-by-step
(yuck!) offices.

--Bill

jim@eda.com (Jim Budler) (01/18/89)

In article <1468@neoucom.UUCP> wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) writes:
#
# Page 4-29 of the 90048-01 Rev.A "Commands and Registers Reference
# Manual" for the Trailblazer Plus says that automatic redial is
# accomplished with S103.  It looks like option 2 is the one:
#

Except it's S104. You scared me there. I have the same rev. but I
looked at S103, and it was "Rackmount Controller Exclusive Access".
Checked the rev. again. Same. Checked your page reference, and
came up with S104, which is as you described.

#
# --Bill

jim

--
Jim Budler   address = uucp: ...!{decwrl,uunet}!eda!jim
					 domain: jim@eda.com

wayne@teemc.UUCP (//ichael R. //ayne) (01/18/89)

In article <1465@neoucom.UUCP> wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) writes:

>One sort of neat feature that the sales brochure on the Telebit
>modems didn't point out is that the Trailblazer version 3.x and
>Trailblazer Plus can be programmed to attack dial from the non
>volitile directory until they get a connection.

	One of the features I most miss from the Racal-Vadic's I used to
use is the ability to attack dial from ANY of the numbers in in nvRAM.
They had a feature called "linking" which, if a given connect sequence
failed, would go to a number.  This gave many possibilities such as:
	#1 number.  If fail goto #1	(Attack one number till success)
	#2 number.  If fail goto #4	(Attack on 2 numbers till success)
	#3 number.  If fail goto #5	(Try 2 numbers then quit)
	#4 number.  If fail goto #2
	#5 number

I also wish:
1)There was a way to store more numbers in the modems.  I carry one of my TB+
  modems to whatever machine I am working on at the time and, with all of the
  switch settings I need to do to contact certain machines (yes, you CAN do
  ATN0=S51=5S111=30DT555-1212\Info), it would be nice to be able to store about
  20-30 numbers.  I suspect that there is no H/W limit to 10 numbers, just
  that 20 numbers would scroll off a 24 line screen.
2)There was documentation on all switch settings.  Even a usenet posting would
  be OK (although an errata sheet would be preferred).  Things like S51=254
  and S120=packet delay and whatever else has not been documented.  I suspect
  that every unlisted register does SOMETHING but have been reluctant to
  try setting them to random values.
3)There was a way to select A/B configurations by using an S register.  This
  would let those of us with the grey model use dual configurations.

Although I have these minor complaints, I love my modems and have been
responsible for the sale of at least 30 more of them around the country
(several NOT on the 1/2 price deal).  For the moment, they are the best way
to push large amounts of data around if you can rely on one on the other end
of the phone line and they spoof the protocol you use.

/\/\ \/\/
--
Michael R. Wayne      ---      TMC & Associates      ---      wayne@teemc.uucp
INTERNET: wayne%teemc.uucp@mailgw.cc.umich.edu          uunet!umix!teemc!wayne

w-colinp@microsoft.UUCP (Colin Plumb) (01/19/89)

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) wrote:
> Page 4-29 of the 90048-01 Rev.A "Commands and Registers Reference
> Manual" for the Trailblazer Plus says that automatic redial is
> accomplished with S103.  It looks like option 2 is the one:

That should be S104, not 103.  The page is correct.

Thanks for the information!  I've read the manual I-don't-know-how-many
times, and I never saw that.

I have found the memory dumper/modifier hidden behind ATJ, though...
anyone else hacked the modem?
--
	-Colin (uunet!microsof!w-colinp)