[comp.dcom.modems] request: MNP

khen@TAURUS.BITNET (01/13/89)

     I have a PC/XT clone with a dialup modem on an internal
board.   The  trouble  is,  this is a simple modem, doing no
error-correction.  This  is  no  problem  as  much  as  file
transfer  is concerned (I can use error-correcting software,
like kermit), but  interactive  sessions  are  difficult  to
hold, as the phone lines here are very noisy.

     I have seen more expensive modems,  with  the  microcom
MNP  protocol  (MNP == Microcom Network Protocol), and these
virtually elliminate noise at the hardware  level,  so  that
software  terminal-emulating  programs (such as procomm) are
unaware of it completely.  Trouble is, of course, this  type
of  modem  is more expensive.  So I am thinking of something
like a TSR program, that "sits" on  the  communication  line
and  does  the  MNP protocol in software, making it possible
for existing terminal-emulating programs to work with it.

     Does anyone out there have something like that  (source
or binary; free or for sale)?

Please send me any responses by e-mail.

        Thanks,
                Danny Khen

frank@rsoft.UUCP (Frank I. Reiter) (01/14/89)

On a related topic, can anyone tell me what features are implied by the
different MNP levels?  What is the advantage of level 4 vs. 3, or 5 vs. 4?

--
*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*
Frank I. Reiter             \ /    UUCP:    {uunet,ubc-cs}!van-bc!rsoft!frank

Ralf.Brown@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU (01/15/89)

In article <14@rsoft.UUCP>, frank@rsoft.UUCP (Frank I. Reiter) writes:
}On a related topic, can anyone tell me what features are implied by the
}different MNP levels?  What is the advantage of level 4 vs. 3, or 5 vs. 4?

Extract from PD1:<MSDOS.MODEM>MNP-9.ARC on SIMTEL20, itself derived from
Microcom product brochures:

Class 1

This is the first level of MNP performance.  MNP Class 1 uses
an asynchronous byte-oriented half-duplex method of
exchanging data.  MNP Class 1 implementations make minimum
demands on processor speeds and memory storage MNP Class 1
makes it possible for devices with small hardware
configurations to communicate error-free.

The protocol efficiency of a Class 1 implementation is about
70%.  A device using MNP Class 1 with a 2400 bps modem will
realize 1690 bps throughput.  Modern microprocessors have
become so powerful that implementations of MNP Class 1 are
uncommon in the U.S.

Class 2

MNP Class 2 uses asynchronous byte-oriented full-duplex data
exchange.  Almost all microprocessor-based hardware is
capable of supporting MNP Class 2 performance.  Common
microprocessor selected for MNP Class 2 implementations are
Z80's and 6800's.

The protocol efficiency of a Class 2 implementation is about
84%.  A device using MNP Class 2 with a 2400 bps modem will
realize 2000 bps throughput.  Most microprocessor-based
hardware can easily implement MNP Class 2.

Class 3

MNP Class 3 uses synchronous bit-oriented full-duplex
exchange.  The synchronous bit-oriented data format is
inherently more efficient than the asynchronous byte-oriented
data format.  It takes 10 bits to represent 8 data bits in
the asynchronous data format because of the "start" and
"stop" framing bits.  The synchronous data format eliminates
the need for start and stop bits.  The user still sends data
asynchronously to the Class 3 modem; meanwhile, the modems
communicate with each other synchronously.

The protocol efficiency of a Class 3 implementation is about
108%.  A device using Class 3 with a 2400 bps modem will
realize 2600 bps throughput.  At Class 3 performance, the MNP
protocol "rewards" the user for using an error-correcting
modem by producing 8% extra throughput over an ordinary modem
without MNP.

Class 4

MNP Class 4 introduces two new concepts, Adaptive Packet
Assembly(tm) and Data Phase Optimization(tm), to further
improve the performance of an MNP modem.  During data
transfer, MNP monitors the reliability of the transmission
medium.  If the data channel is relatively error-free, MNP
assembles larger data packets to increase throughput.  If the
data is introducing many errors, then MNP assembles smaller
data packets to transmit.  while smaller data packets
increase protocol overhead, they concurrently decrease the
throughput penalty of data retransmissions.  The result of
smaller data packets is more data is successfully transmitted
on the first try.

MNP protocol recognizes that during the data transfer phase
of a connection, most of the administrative information in
the data packet never changes.  Data Phase Optimization
provides a method for eliminating some of the administrative
information.  This procedure further reduces protocol
overhead.

The protocol efficiency of a Class 4 implementation is about
120%.  A device using MNP Class 4 with a 2400 bps modem will
realize approximately 2900 bps throughput.  With class 4
performance, the MNP protocol produces 20% more throughput
than an ordinary modem without MNP.

Class 5

MNP Class 5 introduces Data Compression as a new feature to
MNP Class 4 service.  MNP Data Compression uses a real-time
adaptive algorithm to compress data.  The real-time aspects
of the algorithm allow the data compression to operate on
interactive terminal data as well as file-transfer data.
Data compression delivers faster screen updates to the user.

A realistic estimate of the overall compression factor a user
will experience is 1.6 to 1 or 63%. This is equivalent to
having a net protocol efficiency of 200% for an MNP Class 5
implementation. A device using MNP Class 5 with a 2400 bps
modem will realize 4800 bps throughput. At MNP Class 5
performance, the MNP protocol produces over 100% more
throughput than an ordinary modem without MNP.

Class 6

MNP Class 6 introduces the new features Universal Link
Negotiation(tm) and Statistical Duplexing(tm) to MNP Class 5
service. Universal Link Negotiation allows MNP to unify non-
compatible modem modulation technology into the same MNP
Error-Correcting Modem. Prior to Class 6, MNP was used to
enhance current modem technology. MNP Class 6 allows Microcom
to create new universal modems.

Universol Link Negotiation allows MNP modems to begin operations
at a common slower speed and negotiate the use of an alternate
high speed modulation technique. The Microcom AX/9624 is an
example of a modem that uses Universal Link Negotiation.
Universal Link Negotiation uses the 2400 bps V.22bis technology
to negotiate a link. At the end of a successful link
negotiation for Class 6 operation, the modem shifts to operation
using 9600 bps V.29 technology.

In the case where the high-speed carrier technology uses half-
duplex modulation, MNP Class 6 provides Statistical Duplexing.
The Statistical Duplexing algorithm monitors the user data
traffic pattern to dynamically allocate utilization of the half-
duplex modulation to deliver full-duplex service.

An MNP Class 6 modem based on V.29 technology delivers maximum
performance in file transfer applications; up to 19.2 kbps
throughput is possible on dial-up circuits for most
applications. In accordance with the principles of MNP, the
Class 5 Data Compression is fully incorporated in MNP Class 6.

The MNP Class 6 Modem will deliver optimum performance even on
an interactive terminal using character echoplexing. Screen
updates will occur at speeds between 9.6 kbps andf 19.2 kbps.
Most screen updates will take less than a second.

Most of the above text was taken from a Microcom Features
Description by Mike Focke 7/7/87

Class 7

MNP Class 7 Enhanced Data Compression, combined with Class 4,
achieves improved throughput with efficiencies up to 300% via
the latest data compression technology. Microcom's enhanced
encoding technique not only ndynamically adjusts to the type of
data being transmitted, but also predicts the probabality of
characters in a data stream. This combined with run length
encoding, which sends repeating characters as a single number
code, results in the superior compression efficiencies supported
in MNP Class 7.

Class 8

Nothing available.

Class 9

MNP Class 9 utilizes Enhanced Data Compression combined with
V.32 technology to deliver maximum throughput up to 300% greater
than ordinary V.32 modems. Class 9 also features Enhanced
Universal Link Negotiation which allows connection to both MNP
and non-MNP modems at the highest performance level.

The above was taken from product description buochures from
Microcom by Mike Focke 8/1/88

--
UUCP: {ucbvax,harvard}!cs.cmu.edu!ralf -=-=-=- Voice: (412) 268-3053 (school)
ARPA: ralf@cs.cmu.edu  BIT: ralf%cs.cmu.edu@CMUCCVMA  FIDO: Ralf Brown 1:129/31

felstein@mcnc.org (Bruce M. Felstein) (01/15/89)

The level of MNP refers to exactly what process it is
performing.
I can summarize the classes as follows:
Class 3 - error correction only
Class 4 - Data Framing (basically turns async to sync)
Class 5 - Data Compression (2:1)
Class 6 - Data Compression (3:1)

Bruce Felstein    | MicroElectronic Center of North Carolina
felstein@mcnc.org | The views expressed are my own

ashok@softart.UUCP (Ashok C. Patel) (01/19/89)

> The level of MNP refers to exactly what process it is
> performing.
> I can summarize the classes as follows:
> Class 3 - error correction only
> Class 4 - Data Framing (basically turns async to sync)
> Class 5 - Data Compression (2:1)
> Class 6 - Data Compression (3:1)

Not quite right.  MNP classes are as follows:

Class 1 - error correction using an async half duplex method.  That is
          only one side can send at a given time. (For half duplex modems)
Class 2 - error correction using an async full duplex method.  Same as the
          half duplex protocol but both sides can send at the same time.
Class 3 - error correction using a synchronous full duplex method.  The
          framing technique here is SDLC.
Class 4 - optimization of the packet overheads.  This can be run with any
          of Classes 1-3.  It just reduces the packet overheads.
Class 5 - data compression (2:1).  It can be run with any of Classes 1-4.
Class 6 - "ping pong".  Meant to be used with a 9600 baud half duplex (9600bps
          one way only) using the Rockwell 9600 baud FT modem chipset;
          the channel is used alternately by each side.
Class 7 - data compression (3:1).  A better form of data compression than
          Class 5.  It can be used instead of Class 5.
Class 8 - Protocol enhancements.  This is brand new.  I don't have many
          details for this.

How do I know this?  I write MNP firmware for a *lot* of modem manufacturers
for use inside their modem products.

> Bruce Felstein    | MicroElectronic Center of North Carolina
> felstein@mcnc.org | The views expressed are my own

Ashok C. Patel
Softart Microsystems Inc.