[comp.dcom.modems] Longer "wait for tone" for TB

alexb@cfctech.UUCP (Alex Beylin) (01/28/89)

How can I program the Telebit to wait for tone longer then
it does now?  I have to dial through 2 PBXs and often the
modem times out before the final PBX produces a tone and I get
a "NO DIAL TONE" message.  Is there a way to make it wait longer?
The enviroment is UNIX V.3.2 on 3B2/600.

Thanks in advance,

 Alex Beylin, Unix Systems Admin.       | +1 313 244 3386
 alexb@cfctech.UUCP                     | Chrysler Financial Corp.
 alexb%cfctech.uucp@mailgw.cc.umich.edu | MIS, Technical Services
 {sharkey|mailrus}!cfctech!alexb        | 901 Wilshire, Troy, MI
 "It feels like Death, but... it doesn't stop."

w-colinp@microsoft.UUCP (Colin Plumb) (01/28/89)

alexb@cfctech.UUCP (Alex Beylin) wrote:
> How can I program the Telebit to wait for tone longer then
> it does now?

ATS6=<desired time in seconds, default 2>

RTFM! :-)
--
	-Colin (uunet!microsof!w-colinp)

root@oid.UUCP (Admin-P.L. Aeten) (01/29/89)

In article <3005@cfctech.UUCP> alexb@cfctech.UUCP (Alex Beylin) writes:
>How can I program the Telebit to wait for tone longer then
>it does now?  I have to dial through 2 PBXs and often the
>modem times out before the final PBX produces a tone and I get
>a "NO DIAL TONE" message.  Is there a way to make it wait longer?
>The enviroment is UNIX V.3.2 on 3B2/600.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
> Alex Beylin, Unix Systems Admin.       | +1 313 244 3386

Ummm.....have you tried Register S6? It can be set to await
the "sensation" (:-)) of diatone for ~255 seconds (See TB Docx
# 90048-01 Rev A pg4-3...assuming it to be TB+).

Okay I should have said "...detection of ...."

But intuitively I suspect that you might need to consider too
the existence of a timer(s) in the dialing module...I 'm not
sure but if anyone is interested I can go look at source if
you haven't (I am suspect at this point; you see we just had
a little! (4lbs 14oz) "widget" and some form of unexplained
joyous, curious, marvelous dementia...see what I mean?) I'm back:

So we return to this problem of what you suspect to be as a
result of Tandem Trunks...Aside from verifying S reg no.6 in
the TB+, considering timeouts in the dialing software protocol,
tuning code if you have it AND possibly modifying chat scripts
to be somewhat more tolerant of delays (by using delays) in this
load dependant evironment I can not see what you can do. Others?

BTW her name is Lauren Arielle Aeten and she is beautiful! (I
thought they were supposed to be somewhat "homely" when brand
new?)

--
P. L. Aeten
{attmail!}bacyn!paeten -o {att,dsinc,netsys,}!aeten@oid