[comp.dcom.modems] I need help with setting MNP on my Telebit.

bill@twwells.uucp (T. William Wells) (02/02/89)

I have a Telebit Trailblazer+ and am running Microport V/386 3.0e.  I
had a request from a friend who uses my system for MNP. Well, I tried
setting MNP (S95=2) but found that my modem no longer works after
that, at least when talking to a non-MNP modem.  When I cu over to
another system, the modem appears to pay no attention to text sent to
it. Since I know nothing about MNP, I am at a loss.

Any suggestions on what to do next?

---
Bill
{ uunet!proxftl | novavax } !twwells!bill

gk@kksys.mn.org (Greg Kemnitz) (02/03/89)

In article <367@twwells.uucp> bill@twwells.UUCP (T. William Wells) writes:
>I have a Telebit Trailblazer+ and am running Microport V/386 3.0e.  I
>had a request from a friend who uses my system for MNP. Well, I tried
>setting MNP (S95=2) but found that my modem no longer works after that,
>Bill { uunet!proxftl | novavax } !twwells!bill

We experienced a similar problem recently.  The folks at Telebit gave
us a "fix" -- feed the command  ATJ6S39=3 to your 'blazer... it seems
to make a world of difference.

As Telebit tech support explained, with the 4.0 firmware they
implemented MNP 3 "plus a bit...".  It appears that the "plus a
bit..." is what causes the problems.  The above-referenced commands
cause the blazer to be in true MNP3, rather than the enhanced mode.

As a side note, it has been my experience that the folks at Telebit
are usually able to give a good pointer towards a solution for most
problems we encounter.  It is nice to deal with a company that really
supports what they sell.
--
Greg Kemnitz / K and K Systems / PO Box 41804 / Plymouth, MN 55441-0804
Domain:  gk@kksys.mn.org  /  UUCP:  ...!rutgers!bungia!kksys!gk

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (02/04/89)

One must disable MNP protocol before dialing into a site that
echoes characters and also not equipped with an MNP modem.  The
reason is that the string of entrainment characters sent from both
the originate and receive ends are the same in the MNP protocol.
Thus if the other end is unix and puts up a login: prompt with
echoing enabled, login will echo back the entrainment sequence to
your modem, as login thinks that you are entering your userid.
The result is that your modem thinks the other end has MNP when in
fact it does not.  If you are using a modem that has level 3 or
higher MNP, you'll be locked out for the remainder of the call, as
the modem will try to switch over to synchronous operation.  So
much for stupid design features!

The way around the bug is to set S92 appropriately for whatever
site you are dialing out to in your chat script.  You can probably
safely leave MNP enabled for dial-ins without incident.  It is only
a bug while dialing out to a non-MNP site.

On a modem that doesn't have defeatable MNP (does such a thing
exist?), a way to get around the MNP bug would be to prevent the
other host from echoing anything for seven seconds after its modem
goes off hook.  If your own modem doesn't receive an entrainment
sequence within seven seconds of trying its own sequence, it is
supposed to assume the other end is a garden variety modem.

--Bill
  wtm@impulse.UUCP
  ...!lll-winken!scooter!neoucom!impulse!wtm