[comp.dcom.modems] "Call waiting like" software/modem

dillon@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Ian Dillon) (01/31/89)

Does anyone know of any software or modem(s) produced which will
signal the hacker when someone is trying to call you?  I am
wondering if it's possible to put your terminal/PC on hold while
you answer the phone.

Apologies if this has been asked before, but I'm new to this group.

Thanks in advance.

--
 |  Ian Dillon                              Phone: (808)948-7680             |
 |  University of Hawaii                  UUCP: dillon@uhccux.UUCP           |

dave@westmark.UUCP (Dave Levenson) (02/05/89)

In article <3111@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu>, dillon@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Ian Dillon) writes:
> Does anyone know of any software or modem(s) produced which will
> signal the hacker when someone is trying to call you?  I am
> wondering if it's possible to put your terminal/PC on hold while
> you answer the phone.

It is probably not possible.  Most modems, unless specifically
optioned or programmed otherwise, will disconnect when carrier is
lost.  Carrier is, in deed, lost when a call-waiting interrupts a
data call in progress.  It is lost for a few hundred milliseconds
when the call-waiting tone is applied, and it is lost for lots
longer if you accept the incoming call.

Yes, you can program or option your modem to override this
characteristic, but you'd have to have the far end optioned the same
way, or it wouldn't help.  A second line is not much more costly
than call-waiting service, in this area.

--
Dave Levenson
Westmark, Inc.		The Man in the Mooney