[comp.dcom.modems] Maxum 2400 baud modem review

vcc@eecs.nwu.edu (Guest from Vogelback) (01/30/89)

I just recently purchased a Maxum 2400 baud modem from 47th Street Photo.  It's
their in-house brand, so I was a bit leery, but two friends had purchased
them and gave them high marks.  I shelled out the $149.95 and got it eight
days later.  It's a great modem!

I tried the Practical Periphials 2400 SA and didn't like it too much.  The
Maxum is in an all-metal box, has all eight lights (the PP is missing the
TR light) and my Maxum seems to handle line noise much better than the PP
did or even my Ven-Tel 1200 baud modems on the same lines.

The only drawbacks:  the modem I got is not exactly the same as my friend's.
The cases are identical, but the internal software is slightly different.
Also, the manual sucks.  Everything's there, but it looks like a really poor
translation from some other language.  If you know what you're doing with
Hayes-type modes, though, you shouldn't have many problems.

Just thought this information might be useful to others looking for cheap
2400 baud modems.

Rich Skrenta

alexis@ccnysci.UUCP (Alexis Rosen) (02/10/89)

In article <3890005@eecs.nwu.edu> vcc@eecs.nwu.edu (Guest from Vogelback) writes:
>I just recently purchased a Maxum 2400 baud modem from 47th Street Photo.
>It's their in-house brand, so I was a bit leery, but two friends had purchased
>them and gave them high marks.  I shelled out the $149.95 and got it eight
>days later.  It's a great modem!

I used one for several months, for light work. I had no problems with mine.
BUT--- The Maxxum modem runs incredibly hot! I don't know why (not CMOS,
maybe?) but I wouldn't trust this to run continuously for a BBS, and I would
not want to run a stack of them together.

Alexis Rosen
alexis@ccnysci.uucp

skrenta@eecs.nwu.edu (Richard Skrenta) (02/11/89)

(I wrote the original posting on the maxum from another account).

Yes, I have noticed that the modem runs hot.  I've been using it 24 hours
a day, and so has my friend.  It hasn't burned up yet, but I'll let you
know if it does!

Rich Skrenta