[comp.dcom.modems] Modem and ans. mach. on same line!!

jcb@loral.UUCP (Jay C. Bowden) (01/31/89)

I saw a new gadget advertised in the  Feb '89 COMPUUTER SHOPPER
that is supposed to allow you to let a modem share a line with
a voice answering machine.  Works like this:  Call first, let the
phone ring ONCE ONLY.  Clever box understands this ISOLATED ring
is a signal to SWITCH the phone line over to the MODEM for
the next 100 seconds.  Now call back again with your modem; the
remote modem answers the line instead of the voice answering
machine.  It must keep the line switched to the modem as long as
the modem is on line, I suppose, also.

It looks like a ~3x5x1 in. plastic box with a "wall wart" type
power supply attachment, and jacks of the telephone type
(Rj-somethings). Says $100.00, no credit cards, from

   KISS Engineering Inc
   1163 Greenbriar Lane
   Palatine, IL  60074
    1-312-358-9991 or
    1-800-442-2285

I called 1/27/89 and ordered one COD; they said it would ship in
a month and I was number 20 on their list, whatever that's worth.

I plan to use it with a MR. MOX AC power switch, so I don't have
to leave the PC on all the time (I can do this 'cause I have an
external modem). This is $99.95, MC/VISA ok, from:

   Kenmore Computer Technologies
   30 Suncrest Drive
   Rochester, New York  14609
   1-716-654-7356

I suppose this would work with a FAX too, wouldn't it?
Anyone doing this type of stuff?  Talk to me!

- Jay

Jay Bowden, EE/Consultant; see also Bowden Engineering
Currently contracted at Loral Instrumentation, San Diego
{ucbvax, ittvax!dcdwest, akgua, decvax, ihnp4}!ucsd!loral!jcb

hollombe@ttidca.TTI.COM (The Polymath) (02/02/89)

In article <1903@loral.UUCP> jcb@loral.UUCP (Jay C. Bowden) writes:
}.<. Works like this:  Call first, let the
}phone ring ONCE ONLY.  Clever box understands this ISOLATED ring
}is a signal to SWITCH the phone line over to the MODEM for
}the next 100 seconds.  ...

[...]

}Anyone doing this type of stuff?  Talk to me!

I can see one problem already.  The number and timing of rings you hear
when you call doesn't necessarily equal the number and timing of rings at
the receiving end.  I've had many people pick up a phone I'd called before
I heard any rings.  I've had some people tell me my phone rang seven times
when I only heard it ring two or three.

Your widget will probably work most of the time, but don't expect it to
work reliably every time.

--
The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe, hollombe@ttidca.tti.com)  Illegitimati Nil
Citicorp(+)TTI                                                 Carborundum

zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) (02/03/89)

In article <1903@loral.UUCP> jcb@loral.UUCP (Jay C. Bowden) writes:
>I saw a new gadget advertised in the  Feb '89 COMPUUTER SHOPPER
>that is supposed to allow you to let a modem share a line with
>a voice answering machine.  Works like this:  Call first, let the
>phone ring ONCE ONLY.  Clever box understands this ISOLATED ring

If you are dialing into a Unix system, could save the $100 and get my
software that does this.  Let me know if you want a copy.

--
  Jon Zeeff			zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us
  Ann Arbor, MI			mailrus!b-tech!zeeff

snoopy@sopwith.UUCP (Snoopy) (02/09/89)

In article <1903@loral.UUCP> jcb@loral.UUCP (Jay C. Bowden) writes:
|I saw a new gadget advertised in the  Feb '89 COMPUUTER SHOPPER
|that is supposed to allow you to let a modem share a line with
|a voice answering machine.  Works like this:  Call first, let the
|phone ring ONCE ONLY.  Clever box understands this ISOLATED ring
|is a signal to SWITCH the phone line over to the MODEM for
|the next 100 seconds.

Cute idea, but this would be unreliable in practice.  The ringback you
hear when calling someone does NOT happen at the same time as their phone
rings.  Ever have someone pick up the phone "before it rang"?

Does it silence the ringing to your regular phones, or do you hear them ring
once whenever someone calls for the modem?

It might work in some cases, but I suspect it would be a giant headache.
    _____
   /_____\    Snoopy
  /_______\
    |___|     tektronix!tekecs!sopwith!snoopy
    |___|     sun!nosun!illian!sopwith!snoopy

chaney@ms.uky.edu (Dan Chaney) (02/13/89)

In article <101@sopwith.UUCP> snoopy@sopwith.UUCP (Snoopy) writes:
>In article <1903@loral.UUCP> jcb@loral.UUCP (Jay C. Bowden) writes:
>|I saw a new gadget advertised in the  Feb '89 COMPUUTER SHOPPER
>|that is supposed to allow you to let a modem share a line with
>|a voice answering machine.  Works like this:  Call first, let the
>
>Cute idea, but this would be unreliable in practice.  The ringback you

I agree.  In fact, there are already some applications with this approach
in mind.  Specifically, there is a BBS program that lets the modem signal
the program on a ring.  If there is not another ring when there should be
one, the program counts and sure enough, if the person calls back
within x amount of time, the computer grabs the phone.  I ran this
system for some time, with my answering machine set to answer on the 4th
ring and it worked well enough.  There were some complaints about the
modem picking up on people though.  Also, this effectively removes those
toll-saver features so many answering machines brag about nowadays..
err. unless, you can make your toll saver not answer on the first ring
when you have calls.

[ The name of the BBS system I am referring to was RBBS *I THINK*  If I am
  wrong, I am terribly sorry.  Please, don't let this drop into a my-bbs
  is better than yours. ]

What I would really like to see is a scheme wherein both modem *and*
answering machine pick up.  Answering machine gives a brief message
and the tone that is the "at the beep" part is the right tone for a
modem to answer.  If it is a human, then they give a message.  If it is
a computer, then the modems start talking.

Two problems (Cmon, somebody take care of these for me :-).
    1. Multi-baud modems are going to be difficult here (could you possibly
       play all the tones?  I don't know if the other modem is looking for
       a specific tone and will react to that tone if it is accompanied.)

    2. Making the answering machine take the hint and hang up.  Now I spose
       there is a way around this one.  My first impulse was to put the
       answering machine behind the modem but you can see that was shortlived.
       (If the modem is listening, it has shut off the answering machine
        or has it?  Is there a modem that makes that software controllable?
        and switchable in mid call?)

And a nagging thing is whether or not, if there is a long message, will
the calling modem get fed up with waiting.

Finally, just throw this into a revised getty and I'll be happy!

Thanks.  End of my long 2 cents worth follows.

--
Dan Chaney
{uunet and the like}!ukma!chaney  chaney@ms.uky.edu  chaney@ukma.BITNET

In article <11071@s.ms.uky.edu> chaney@ms.uky.edu (Dan Chaney) writes:
>In article <101@sopwith.UUCP> snoopy@sopwith.UUCP (Snoopy) writes:
>>In article <1903@loral.UUCP> jcb@loral.UUCP (Jay C. Bowden) writes:
>>|I saw a new gadget advertised in the  Feb '89 COMPUUTER SHOPPER
>>|that is supposed to allow you to let a modem share a line with
>>|a voice answering machine.  Works like this:  Call first, let the
>>
>>Cute idea, but this would be unreliable in practice.  The ringback you
>
>I agree.  In fact, there are already some applications with this approach
>in mind.

Yep -- ERACS PLUS, a Model IV (Tandy) BBS/host system that I wrote a long
while back did exactly this thing.  You called and let it ring "once", then
hung up and waited anywhere from 30-90 seconds -- then dialed back.  The
second time the modem would answer.  When you then disconnected the system
would go back to it's previous behavior.

This setup was VERY reliable -- I had this scheme in use for over a year
and a half (with answering machine on the line) and didn't have any real
problems with it at all.  I simply trained myself to ignore "ring #1" on
the phone (and turned it down considerably in volume).  If someone wanted
to get ahold of me, they simply had to let it ring 3 or more times.

Toll savers don't interfere with this, as they usually click on after two
rings.  As a result, even this setup can coexist without problems; one ring
and a pause causes the modem to kick on for a ringback (with a suitable
timeout), and two or more are ignored by the modem software and either the
human or answering machine gets the call.

This was all back when I was a college student and couldn't afford a second
phone line, so I had to make do with what I had.

--
Karl Denninger (karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM, ddsw1!karl)
Data: [+1 312 566-8912], Voice: [+1 312 566-8910]
Macro Computer Solutions, Inc.    	"Quality solutions at a fair price"

pdg@chinet.chi.il.us (Paul Guthrie) (02/14/89)

In article <101@sopwith.UUCP> snoopy@sopwith.UUCP (Snoopy) writes:
>In article <1903@loral.UUCP> jcb@loral.UUCP (Jay C. Bowden) writes:
>|I saw a new gadget advertised in the  Feb '89 COMPUUTER SHOPPER
>|that is supposed to allow you to let a modem share a line with
>|a voice answering machine.  Works like this:  Call first, let the
>|phone ring ONCE ONLY.  Clever box understands this ISOLATED ring
>|is a signal to SWITCH the phone line over to the MODEM for
>|the next 100 seconds.
>Cute idea, but this would be unreliable in practice.  The ringback you
>hear when calling someone does NOT happen at the same time as their phone
>rings.  Ever have someone pick up the phone "before it rang"?

Actually, it does work in practice.  You are correct about the fact that
power ringing and ringback aren't synchronized, but they usually occur closely
enough for this to work.  It would depend on your CO.  I have one of the
5 prototypes of this unit, and it *does* work reliably.

>Does it silence the ringing to your regular phones, or do you hear them ring
>once whenever someone calls for the modem?

You hear them ring.

>It might work in some cases, but I suspect it would be a giant headache.

Not at all.  I don't even notice that the unit is there, unless I want
to call in to my computer.  Then I'm very thankfull that the unit is
installed.

--paul

--
Paul Guthrie
chinet!nsacray!paul

jcb@loral.UUCP (Jay C. Bowden) (02/15/89)

About the one-ring trick:

Excuse me for soapboxing, but I just wanted to separate the information
from the non-information.   By now, we all appreciate that the
ring you hear is not synchronized to the ring the caller feels.
But here is what we have so far:

Some of:     "I THINK this won't work very well"

A few of:    "I used this trick and it worked great for me"

None of:     "I tried using this trick and it was unworkable"

I'm still waiting for my box, and I'm still optimistic (based
on the above summary :-)  I don't mean to be ragging on
the folks telling us about un-synchronized ringing; it *is*
interesting to know about, but not a closed case at all as
I see it. Yet...

allbery@ncoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) (02/15/89)

As quoted from <5091@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us> by zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff):
+---------------
| In article <1903@loral.UUCP> jcb@loral.UUCP (Jay C. Bowden) writes:
| >I saw a new gadget advertised in the  Feb '89 COMPUUTER SHOPPER
| >that is supposed to allow you to let a modem share a line with
| >a voice answering machine.  Works like this:  Call first, let the
| >phone ring ONCE ONLY.  Clever box understands this ISOLATED ring
|
| If you are dialing into a Unix system, could save the $100 and get my
| software that does this.  Let me know if you want a copy.
+---------------

There exist smart boxes which allow a fax machine to cohabit a phone line
with a phone or modem.  The main problem with doing this specifically for
modems is that you have to deal with 300, 1200, 2400, and 4 or 5 different
versions of 9600 baud... in particular, Telebits are guaranteed to give such
a product severe heartburn.  (Actually, 1200/2400 and most 9600 baud modems
use the same base carrier frequency.  And then there's Telebit.)

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery, moderator of comp.sources.misc	     allbery@ncoast.org
uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery		    ncoast!allbery@hal.cwru.edu