[comp.dcom.modems] StarLink Comparision and CAN access

aDenia_Pooka_Bennett-Howard@cup.portal.COM (01/29/89)

            A COMPARISON OF STARLINK AND PC PURSUIT

The following list compares STARLINK's outdial access points
with those of Telenet.  These are the actual cities you can reach
by accessing your local dial-in node and issuing the outdial
command. As you can see, there are many more STARLINK outdials
than there are Telenet outdials.  In addition, with STARLINK, you
are not restricted to the actual outdial city.  You can precede
the number to be dialed with a "1" and call any BBS in that area
code.  You will be billed for the long distance call from the
outdial port to the host computer at the local phone company's
rates

Outdial Host Numbers Sorted by Time Zone, State,

Eastern Time Zone -----------

State/              Tymnet        Outdial       Telenet Node
   City             Host #        Area Code     Access Point
---------------     ------        ---------     ------------
Connecticut
  Bloomfield        9128          203
  Hartford          9128          203           D/CTHAR/12
  Stamford          9129          203

D.C
   Washington       2262          703           D/DCWAS/3/12/24

Florida
   Fort Lauderdale  7123          305 m
   Jacksonville     5797          904 m
   Longwood         7096          305 m
   Miami            6582          305           D/FLMIA/3/12/24
   Orlando          7096          305 m
   Tampa            5518          813 m         D/FLTAM/3/12/24

Georgia
   Atlanta          8795          404           D/GAATL/3/12/24
   Doraville        8795          404
   Marietta         8795          404
   Norcross         8795          404

Indiana
   Indianapolis     9349          317

Maryland
   Baltimore        4600          301

Massachusetts
   Boston           8796          617           D/MABOS/3/12/24
   Cambridge        8796          617

New Jersey
   Camden           8693          609 m
   Englewood Cliffs 6319          201 m
   Newark           7618          201           D/NJNEW/3/12/24
   Pennsauken       8693          609 m
   Princeton        8920          609
   South Brunswick  8920          609

New York
   Albany           9192          518 m
   Buffalo          9194          716 m
   Melville         8811          516 m
   New York         1059          212           D/NYNYO/3/12/24
                                                 (for 718, must use 1718
                                                  + phone number)
   Pittsford        6019          716
   Rochester        6019          716
   White Plains     8571          914

North Carolina
   Charlotte        6793          704
   Research Triangle Park, NC     919           D/NCRTP/3/12

Ohio
   Akron            8740          216 m
   Cincinnati       1785          513
   Cleveland        4222          216           D/OHCLE/3/12/24
   Columbus         9347          614
   Dayton           9511          513 m

Pennsylvania
   Philadelphia     9581          215           D/PAPHI/3/12/24
   Pittsburgh       7408          412

Rhode Island
   Providence       9130          401

Virginia

   Alexandria       2262          703           D/DCWAS/3/12/24
   Arlington        2262          703           D/DCWAS/3/12/24
   Fairfax          2262          703
   Midlothian       7339          804 m
   Norfolk          6986          804 m
   Portsmouth       6986          804 m

Central Time Zone -----------

Alabama
   Birmingham       4101          205

Illinois
   Chicago          8257          312           D/ILCHI/3/12/24
   Glen Ellyn       8944          312 m         (for 815, must use
                                                 1815 + phone number)
Kansas
   Wichita          8013          316 m

Michigan
   Detroit          8794          313           D/MIDET/3/12/24

Minnesota
   Minneapolis      3494          612           D/MNMIN/3/12
   St. Paul         3494          612

Missouri
   Bridgeton        8978          314
   Independence     8615          913
   Kansas City      8615          913           D/MOKCI/3/12/24
   St. Louis        8978          314           D/MOSLO/3
                                                 (for 618, must use
                                                  1618 + phone number)
Nebraska
   Omaha            2521          402 m

Oklahoma
   Oklahoma City    9165          405
   Tulsa            6605          918

Tennessee
   Memphis          1551          901 m
   Nashville        9141          615

Texas
   Arlington        9337          817
   Dallas           2948          214           D/TXDAL/3/12/24
                                                 (for 817, must use 817
                                                  + phone number)
   Fort Worth       9337          817
   Houston          4562          713
   San Antonio      9169          512

Wisconsin
   Brookfield       9167          414
   Milwaukee        9167          414           D/WIMIL/3/12/24

Mountain Time Zone ----------

Arizona
   Mesa             9532          602
   Phoenix          9532          602              D/AZPHO/3/12
   Tucson           4751          602 m
                                                   (Ft McDowell, Higley
                                                    & SpStnaJct calls must
                                                    use 1 + phone number
                                                    [see coverage.txt])
Colorado
   Aurora           2584          303
   Boulder          2584          303
   Denver           2584          303              D/CODEN/3/12/24

UTAH
   Salt Lake City                 801              D/UTSLC/3/12/24

Pacific Time Zone -----------

California
   Alhambra         9204          818 m
   Anaheim          9184          714
   Colton, CA                     714              D/CACOL/3/12/24
   El Segundo       9203          203 m
   Glendale, CA                   818              D/CAGLE/12
   Long Beach       9205          213 m
   Los Angeles, CA                213              D/CALAN/3/12/24
   Newport Beach    9184          714
   Oakland          8963          415              D/CAOAK/3/12/24
   Palo Alto, CA                  415              D/CAPAL/12
   Pasadena         9204          818 m
   Pleasanton       9202          415 m
   Sacramento       9179          916              D/CASAC/3/12/24
   San Diego, CA                  619              D/CASDI/3/12/24
   San Francisco    9533          415              D/CASFA/3/12/24
   San Jose         6450          408              D/CASJO/12
   San Jose, CA                   408              D/CASJO/12
   Santa Ana, CA                  714              D/CASAN/12
   Sherman Oaks     9206          818 m
   Vernon           3173          213
   Walnut Creek     9202          415 m

OREGON
     Portland                     503              D/ORPOR/3/12

Washington
   Bellevue         9170          206
   Seattle          9170          206              D/WASEA/3

FOREIGN ACCESS:

The following countries have direct dial-in access to STARLINK:

CANADA

ALBERTA:Calgary
BRITISH COLUMBIA:Burnaby,Vancouver
ONTARIO:Kitchner,Ottawa,Toronto,Windsor
QUEBEC:Montreal,Quebec City, Ville St. Laurent
Off peak rates from these cities is billed at $4.00 per hour.
Other Canadian cities can reach STARLINK via DataPac.

UNITED KINGDOM: (Via Mercury) London
Off peak access from London is billed at $10.00 per hour.

For more information about STARLINK, call 804-495-INFO by modem or
804-495-4693 by voice.

emv@a.cc.umich.edu (Ed Vielmetti) (02/07/89)

In article <8901281417.1.112@cup.portal.com> aDenia_Pooka_Bennett-Howard@cup.portal.COM writes:

>            A COMPARISON OF STARLINK AND PC PURSUIT
Central Time Zone -----------
>Michigan
>   Detroit          8794          313           D/MIDET/3/12/24

Michigan is actually in the Eastern time zone.

You can reach the Merit computer network dial-ins from Detroit.
Merit is a state-wide network for Michigan universities.  Might
be a reasonable place to contact for email and some netnews
connections, esp. if you have ties to Michigan.

--
Edward Vielmetti, U of Michigan

gmp@rayssd.ray.com (Gregory M. Paris) (02/07/89)

In an article emv@mailgw.cc.umich.edu (Ed Vielmetti) writes:

> Michigan is actually in the Eastern time zone.

Sounds like a flatlander talking to me.  Not all of Michigan is in
the Eastern time zone.  Just ask someone from, say, Iron Mountain.

--
Greg Paris <gmp@rayssd.ray.com>
{decuac,garp,gatech,necntc,spdcc,sun,uiucdcs,ukma}!rayssd!gmp

wayne@teemc.UUCP (//ichael R. //ayne) (02/15/89)

In article <6293@rayssd.ray.com> gmp@rayssd.RAY.COM (Gregory M. Paris) writes:
>In an article emv@mailgw.cc.umich.edu (Ed Vielmetti) writes:
>>
>> Michigan is actually in the Eastern time zone.
>
>Sounds like a flatlander talking to me.  Not all of Michigan is in
>the Eastern time zone.  Just ask someone from, say, Iron Mountain.

	Right you are BUT the 313 area code (only one accessable) is
in Eastern Time Zone.  Besides, who would you call in the UP anyway :-).

/\/\ \/\/

--
Michael R. Wayne      ---      TMC & Associates      ---      wayne@teemc.uucp
INTERNET: wayne%teemc.uucp@mailgw.cc.umich.edu        uunet!edsews!teemc!wayne