[net.unix-wizards] bsd4.2 on 11/785

linde@srcsip.UUCP (Larry Linde) (10/09/85)

Is anyone running Bsd 4.2 on a vax 11/785? If so do you have any
problems with it just hanging (both single and multi user mode).
It seems that it does it faster if you start getting the system
busy with several tasks? Are there any changes that a standard
BSD 4.2 kernal must have made to it to run on a 785? We are running
just fine on several 750's and 780's The configuration of the 785 is
as follows:
		11/785 cpu
		12mb memory (i know it only sees 8mb)
		ra81
		ra60
		tu80
		il1010 (interlan ethernet card)
		and
		unconfigured.
				dr11-wc
				tu81
				dmz32

This the the gerneric kernal that is hanging so it is not any
mods that I have made. Also yes we have a source license.

Also while i am at it does anyone have a driver for the tu81?
If so how do i obtain it?

I   Usenet:{philabs,ihnp4!umn-cs}!srcsip!linde /Larry Linde  MN17-234      I
I  Arpanet:   Linde@HI-MULTICS                / 2600 Ridgway Pky.          I
I                                  US-SNAIL: /  Mpls, MN  55413            I

chuqui@nsc.UUCP (Chuq Von Rospach) (10/13/85)

In article <1513@srcsip.UUCP> linde@srcsip.UUCP (Larry Linde) writes:
>Is anyone running Bsd 4.2 on a vax 11/785? If so do you have any
>problems with it just hanging (both single and multi user mode).

We are running 4.2 on our 785 (the enhanced BRL release 3 version). The
only two problems I have with it are an occasional silly message out of
syslogd (I've mentioned this recently on the net already) and having the
network stop on occasion. What I THINK is happening, and haven't had time
to track down, is that the kernel DELAY() routine is implemented by a
register countdown loop. With the 785 significantly faster than a 780, a
DELAY() loop that is cut too finely may simply not be long enough in all
cases, and I think my ethernet board drops an interrupt on the floor. If
your machine is simply going away (total responsiveness except to console
^P commands) you might try finding the macro definition and doubling the
delay loop. I haven't had time to do that, but it couldn't hurt (could it?)
That seems to be the only place that the processor change could be visible
to the operating system (there really ought to be a way to build a decent
delay routine without making processor speed assumptions... sigh.)

chuq
--
:From the caverns of the Crystal Cave:  Chuq Von Rospach
Currently: nsc!chuqui@decwrl.ARPA       {decwrl,hplabs,ihnp4,pyramid}!nsc!chuqui

Our time is past -- it is a time for men, not magic. Come, let us leave
this world to the usurpers and rest our weary bones....

In article <3252@nsc.UUCP> chuqui@nsc.UUCP (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:

> the kernel DELAY() routine is implemented by a register countdown
> loop. ...  there really ought to be a way to build a decent delay
> routine without making processor speed assumptions...

With the 8600 support in 4.3, the `DELAY' macro now multiplies your
delay by the CPU speed factor, this having been gleaned from the
per-cpu data structures during autoconfig.
UUCP:	seismo!umcp-cs!chris
CSNet:	chris@umcp-cs		ARPA:	chris@mimsy.umd.edu

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (10/17/85)

> there really ought to be a way to build a decent
> delay routine without making processor speed assumptions
> Chuq Von Rospach (Currently: nsc!chuqui@decwrl.ARPA)

	How about during the (very) early boot stages, you set a hardware
real-time timer for 1 second then start counting up from zero?  When you
get the interrupt you have the speed of the processor in trivial_for_loops
per second.  Divide this by 1000, save the result, and you can then
calculate processor-independent ms-range delay loops whenever you have to.

	This doesn't help if you really want a delay *macro*, but I'm
assuming that if you want a 5ms delay, you don't care about the function
call overhead.
--
Roy Smith <allegra!phri!roy>
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016