[comp.dcom.modems] 2400etc, also upgradable internal modems

bill@iccdev.UUCP (Bill Gaines) (02/13/89)

In article <3429@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu>, rezac@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
> I'm looking at modems and like the ATI 2400etc.
>
> Does anyone have one and care to comment on how it works and what
> its better features are?  All the information I have on the modem
> came from ATI advertising.

I have one of these modems.  It works great.  I have not had any problems
with it at all.  I have used the MNP level 5 features and achieved good
throughput.

The one thing the modem is missing is a way to set the level of MNP
that the modem should use when connecting.  Using level 5 with archived
or compressed files helps very little.   I wish I could set the MNP level
before I dial with it.

--
Bill Gaines
Industrial Computer Corporation

BOBC@cup.portal.com (ROBERT JOHN CHRISTIANSEN) (02/17/89)

I have had an ATI 2400etc for about 3 months (I'm using it now) and it works
very well. The MNP seems to work fine at all levels, and the AT command set
compatibility does what it claims. The documentation is above average for
modems, and the price (about $150 mail order) unbeatable.
I have been told that there is an external version to be released in April,
and it will cost about $80 more (mail order) than the internal.
I don't think you will be unhappy with it!!