[comp.dcom.modems] Telebit Modems & SCO2.3.1

tim@nytim.UUCP (Tim's Personal Id.) (02/16/89)

We are running SCO 2.3.1 on Compaq 386 machines and have one Telebit
external modem.  We need to use it in dial-in/dial-out mode (only one
modem and phone line) and we need to support BOTH 2400 and high-speed
(9600 and 19200) together.

We have tried the 'official' line using the Dialers scripts but we
have problems with fairly frequent 'uuchats' hanging on restarting the tty
line.

If anyone has this exact configuration actually running, I'd be very
grateful for advice on either Dialers scripts or dialTBIT
mods/gettydefs mods which actually work.  It MUST be a simple problem
but we've failed so far.

Many thanks in advance for all suggestions;

Tim Stone
Tel: (212) 552-7132; Fax: (212) 269-9690;

jeff@swusrgrp.UUCP (Jeff Tye sys adm) (02/17/89)

In article <105@nytim.UUCP>, tim@nytim.UUCP (Tim's Personal Id.) writes:

> We are running SCO 2.3.1 on Compaq 386 machines and have one Telebit
> external modem.  We need to use it in dial-in/dial-out mode (only one
> modem and phone line) and we need to support BOTH 2400 and high-speed
> (9600 and 19200) together.
>
> We have tried the 'official' line using the Dialers scripts but we
> have problems with fairly frequent 'uuchats' hanging on restarting the tty
> line.

We had the same problem but eventually solved it. Thanks to Telebit and
Dan Troxel of HRC.

First, avoid the 'dialTBIT' script. YUK! Erase it off your system.

Next set register 92=0 to cycle through the lower Baud rates first.
Call me if you need all the register settings.

If possible avoid the use of the standard COM1 and COM2 serial ports. If you
don't have an intelligent board (Computone, Digiboard, Anvil, Arnet,
Corollary, etc.) then use either /dev/tty1A or /dev/tty2A as the modem port.
These two devices provide modem flow control for COM1 and COM2.

Get the SCO 2.3.1 fix for RTS/CTS handshaking. It's available from SCO or I can
uucp you a copy. Especially if you use COM1 or COM2! ASAP!

Add these entries to the 'Dialers' file:

# Telebit Trailblazer Plus PEP Mode
tbfast	=W-,	"" \K "" A\pA\pA\pA\pA\pT OK ATS50=255DT\T\r\d\d\d\d\d\d\d\d\d\d\c ""
#
# Telebit Trailblazer Plus 2400 baud
tb24 	=W-,	"" \K "" A\pA\pA\pA\pA\pT OK ATS50=3DT\T\r\d\d\d\c ""

Note the use of register 50. Using the same structure you could create entries
for other speeds.

This is how the 'Devices' file should look:

ACUtdirect tty1A - Any direct
ACUtbit tty1A - 19200 tbfast
ACUtb24 tty1A - 19200 tb24

The first line allows access to the Telebit directly. The second line is
for using the Telebit in 'Fast' or 'PEP' mode. The third line is for dialing
other systems at 2400 BAUD. REFER TO THE DIALERS ENTRIES.

This is how the Systems file should look:

tdirect Any ACUtdirect 19200 unused ? ? ? ?
asite Any ACUtbit 19200 5551212 CONNECT \r ogin:--ogin: uucp sword: whodat
site2 Any ACUtb24 19200 5551234 CONNECT \r ogin:--ogin: uucp sword: youdat

The first line is to 'cu' direct to the Telebit modem and change settings,
etc. The second line is for calling another Telebit site. The third line is
for calling a site at 2400 BAUD. Note that the interface speed remains constant
at 19200; let the Telebit do the work for you.

Keep in mind that you can use your own nomenclature but the structure should
follow the above guidelines.

I hope this helps.

--
Jeff Tye @ Copperstate Business Systems                   VOICE (602) 244-9391
ncar!noao!asuvax!hrc!swusrgrp!jeff         southwest!/usr/group (602) 275-2541

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) (02/20/89)

In article <105@nytim.UUCP> tim@nytim.UUCP (Tim's Personal Id.) writes:

>We are running SCO 2.3.1 on Compaq 386 machines and have one Telebit
>external modem.  We need to use it in dial-in/dial-out mode (only one
>modem and phone line) and we need to support BOTH 2400 and high-speed
>(9600 and 19200) together.

The easiest way is to lock the interface speed at 19200 baud, and tell
getty and uucp that 19200 baud is the only speed available on the modem.
You also have to tell the modem to communicate with the calling modem
(for incoming calls) at the requested speed.

JB
--
Jonathan Bayer			      Beware: The light at the end of the
Intelligent Software Products, Inc.	      tunnel may be an oncoming dragon