[comp.dcom.modems] Telebit secrets

wayne@teemc.UUCP (//ichael R. //ayne) (02/15/89)

	I agree that we need to collect whatever information we can
on the undocumented features of the TB+ modems.  To this end:

  Telebit has an undocumented register, S120.  It may be set to a value
  between 0 and 12.  The smaller the number the smaller the packet size.
  This was done to give fast echo response on direct access terminals.
  I believe that this is only available in the 4.00 EPROMS.

  Next?

  /\/\ \/\/
--
Michael R. Wayne      ---      TMC & Associates      ---      wayne@teemc.uucp
INTERNET: wayne%teemc.uucp@mailgw.cc.umich.edu        uunet!edsews!teemc!wayne

dag@fciva.FRANKLIN.COM (Daniel A. Graifer) (02/17/89)

In article <37095@teemc.UUCP> wayne@teemc.UUCP (/\/\ichael R. \/\/ayne) writes:
>  ...Telebit has an undocumented register, S120.  It may be set to a value
>  between 0 and 12.  The smaller the number the smaller the packet size.
>--[...]
>Michael R. Wayne      ---      TMC & Associates      ---      wayne@teemc.uucp

I have ROM version 4.00 in my Telebits, and would like to use this feature. An
ATS120? gives me back a 0 (Zero).   Does this mean some kind of default?  What
is a reasonable value for terminal (ie vi) use?

Thanks in advance...
	Dan

denny@mcmi.UUCP (Dennis Page) (02/20/89)

[Inquiries concerning valuse for s112]

That I know of, this register is only really useful when you have problems
with your phone company or long distance carrier (such as Sprint).  The
most useful is s112=12, which disables micro packets.

Micro packets (3-4ms) appeared in 4.0 roms and, combined with changing the
short packets from 22ms to 11ms (also in 4.0 roms), are what really made
the interactive performance sing.  I can think of no good reason for
changing s112 to anything other than zero unless you are having problems
with the modems retraining or disconnecting.

Settings for s112 that I know of are:

	 0 Any (normal)
	 1 Short packets only (2 bits)
	 2 Long packets only (2 4 6 bits)