[comp.dcom.modems] using TB+ modem to call slow and PEP sites

dale@vicorp.UUCP (Dale Nielsen) (02/16/89)

I have a TB+ modem that I'm using to connect to several different
uucp sites.  One of them has a TB+ modem, while the others just
have 2400 baud modems.  The problem is that when I call the PEP site
their modem answers at 2400 baud before it tries PEP high speed mode,
so I end up hooking up at 2400 rather than PEP.  If I set the modem
to PEP mode, then I can't talk to the 2400 baud sites.  I tried
putting commands in my chat script in L.sys in order to set it
properly before dialing, but I can't get it to even respond with
"OK" when I send it "AT\r" or "AT" although it does respond properly
when I just tip to it and type these commands in.

If anyone has any suggestions to make this work, it would be
appreciated.

					--Dale Nielsen
					  V. I. Corporation
					  dale@vicorp.UUCP
					  (413) 253-3482

aad@stpstn.UUCP (Anthony A. Datri) (02/17/89)

In article <822@vicorp.UUCP> dale@vicorp.UUCP (Dale Nielsen) writes:

>their modem answers at 2400 baud before it tries PEP high speed mode,
>so I end up hooking up at 2400 rather than PEP.  If I set the modem
>to PEP mode, then I can't talk to the 2400 baud sites.

I haven't really tried to talk to 2400 baud sites with our TB, as we
have other, 2400 baud max modems for that.  I keep our TB locked at 19.2Kb
until I have the time to play with having it autobaud.  Something that
seems to work to make it ignore the 2400 baud tones at the other end is
to put a "PU" after the phone number.  Eg., here's one of my L.sys entries
(on a Sun) :

xxx Any,15 cua5 19200 cua5 \
        "" ATX3S50=255\r OK ATDTxxxxxpu\r CONNECT "" \
        ""-\r-login:-\r-login:-\r-login: \r login: ustpstn ssword xxxx

The "pu" seems to do it.  This TB is used for both incoming and outgoing
calls, all PEP.

--
@disclaimer(Any concepts or opinions above are entirely mine, not those of my
	    employer, my GIGI, my VT05, or my 11/34)

sl@van-bc.UUCP (pri=-10 Stuart Lynne) (02/18/89)

One problem I havn't yet resolved (although I havn't tried to hard) is that
if I use the TB+ to dial out at 2400, and the *next* incoming call is in PEP
mode; the modem sets the speed to 2400 bps.

I have:

	S50=0		auto speed determine
	S51=255		auto speed select
	S52=2		DTR resets
	S53=2		DSR on when DCD on
	S58=2		CTS/RTS
	S66=0		Interface speed not locked
	S68=255		Use S58

The sequence of events I see:

    cu -ltty1a -s2400 dir	Dialout at 2400 bps
    AAA				autobaud
    ATDTxxxx			autodial
    login
    ~.  			Close port, DTR dropped for 1 second to reset

    Getty opens port, DTR raised
    Incoming call by another TB+, their S50=255
    Connection made in PEP mode
    Speed of connection set at 2400 bps by TB+, not 9600 as S51 would
    indicate

This was very reproducible here. It basically prevents me from using the TB+
for outdial to 2400 bps sites because I have no reliable way to get that
next call answered properly. It's very annoying to be connected in PEP mode
and have uucp transfer data at 2400bps not 9600bps.

I have a 2400bps line so it hasn't been a big problem. Of course if it was
fixed I would probably junk it in favour of a third TB+.

--
Stuart.Lynne@wimsey.bc.ca {ubc-cs,uunet}!van-bc!sl     Vancouver,BC,604-937-7532

alan@oetl.UUCP (Alan Strassberg) (02/21/89)

In article <822@vicorp.UUCP> dale@vicorp.UUCP (Dale Nielsen) writes:
>I have a TB+ modem that I'm using to connect to several different
>uucp sites.  One of them has a TB+ modem, while the others just
>have 2400 baud modems.  The problem is that when I call the PEP site
>their modem answers at 2400 baud before it tries PEP high speed mode,
>so I end up hooking up at 2400 rather than PEP.  If I set the modem

	This problem is solved by setting S50=255 and S7=60
	in your modem initialization string. This 'locks' the
	modem at 9600. Since you may not want this all the time
	you could define two types of modems in your L-devices
	with different init strings.

	2400 after answering at 2400, posted to the net was
	a package called 'modem' which esentially respawns
	the modem getty and sends an initialization string.
	This would reset the modem to default parameters.
	This is esentially the same as 'uugetty' also posted.

				alan
Alan Strassberg	      	     UUCP: alan@oetl   ..{leadsv,pyramid}!oetl!alan
Lockheed, Santa Cruz, Ca.    work (408) 425-6126

kls@ditka.UUCP (Karl Swartz) (02/21/89)

In article <822@vicorp.UUCP> dale@vicorp.UUCP (Dale Nielsen) writes:
>The problem is that when I call the PEP site
>their modem answers at 2400 baud before it tries PEP high speed mode,
>so I end up hooking up at 2400 rather than PEP.  If I set the modem
>to PEP mode, then I can't talk to the 2400 baud sites.  I tried
>putting commands in my chat script in L.sys in order to set it
>properly before dialing, but I can't get it to even respond

I assume your TrailBlazer is accepting commands (otherwise how do
you manage to dial out?), in which case the lack of a response is
simply a matter of getting the right setting for Qn.

As for calling a TB+ with S92=1, you need to set S50=255 in the
chat script for calling that system.  You may also need to increase
the time the modem waits for a carrier (S7) and the time uucico
waits for a response, e.g.

    ATQ6X1S50=255S7=60DTnnn FAST-\c-FAST ...

(The Q6 and X1 set things up so you get a "CONNECT FAST" result
code for the call if it connects.)

--
Karl Swartz		|UUCP	{ames!hc!rt1,decuac!netsys}!ditka!kls
1-505/667-7777 (work)	|ARPA	rt1!ditka!kls@hc.dspo.gov