[comp.dcom.modems] 9600 Mod

d_volaric@vaxa.uwa.oz (02/14/89)

Does anyone out there know if there are serious problems using US 9600 modems in
Australia (besides the power supply / Telecom (dis)approval)? In particular I'm
thinking of buying a Courier HST 9600 baud modem or a Telebit 1000 (I think, its
the one that supposedly does 38,000 with MNP). Any recomendations between them?

The only use I'll be putting them to will (probably) be calling up the US.

Any help or advice be apreciated.

felstein@mcnc.org (Bruce M. Felstein) (02/15/89)

I think that you will find that the most used modem for 9600
baud communications in the United States is the US Robotics
HST.  The Telebit has trouble connecting at other speeds from what
I've seen.  USR is coming out with major modifications to the HST
very shortly, although I'm not at liberty to say what they are, but
you won't be dissapointed in speed or performance along with the
fact that they will also be V.32 as well as HST compatible.

The views expressed are not necessarily those of my employer
Bruce Felstein - Microelectronics Center of NC
felstein@mcnc.org - Research Triangle Park, NC

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) (02/16/89)

In article <4035@alvin.mcnc.org> felstein@mcnc.org.UUCP (Bruce M. Felstein) writes:
>I think that you will find that the most used modem for 9600
>baud communications in the United States is the US Robotics
>HST.  The Telebit has trouble connecting at other speeds from what
>I've seen.

eh?  you must not've been looking too well ... My trailblazer has
no problems at all connecting at any speed I try it at.  This includes
1200 & 2400 baud.  The 2400 baud & MNP mode even works better than
the MultiTech 2400E that we have...

Telebits have, as I see it, only *one* disadvantage.  They don't conform
to the (technically inferior) V.29 standard or (technically somewhat
equivalent) V.32 standard.
--
<-- David Herron; an MMDF guy                              <david@ms.uky.edu>
<-- ska: David le casse\*'      {rutgers,uunet}!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET

frank@rsoft.UUCP (Frank I. Reiter) (02/16/89)

In article <4035@alvin.mcnc.org> felstein@mcnc.org.UUCP (Bruce M. Felstein) writes:
>The Telebit has trouble connecting at other speeds from what
>I've seen.  USR is coming out with major modifications to the HST
>very shortly, although I'm not at liberty to say what they are, but
>you won't be dissapointed in speed or performance along with the
>fact that they will also be V.32 as well as HST compatible.

We are using a Trailblazer+ on The MIND LINK BBS and have no trouble accepting
calls at 300/1200/2400/9600 baud.

Telebit has also come announced a dual protocol modem which is both PEP and
V.32 compatible.  I've starting saving...
Frank I. Reiter              UUCP:  {uunet,ubc-cs}!van-bc!rsoft!frank
Reiter Software Inc.                frank@rsoft.bc.ca,  a2@mindlink.UUCP
Langley, British Columbia     BBS:  Mind Link @ (604)533-2312, login as Guest

james@bigtex.cactus.org (James Van Artsdalen) (02/16/89)

In <4035@alvin.mcnc.org>, felstein@mcnc.org.UUCP (Bruce M. Felstein) wrote:

> I think that you will find that the most used modem for 9600
> baud communications in the United States is the US Robotics
> HST.

In the non-unix market probably so.  But certainly not in the unix
market.  I've only heard of one or two sites trying to run uucp over
the HST, and the results were horrible.  Interactive response with the
'blazer is good enough, though not instant.

> The Telebit has trouble connecting at other speeds from what
> I've seen.

Not true.  My 'blazer runs at > 9600bps all day, along with 2400bps
and some 1200bps traffic.  The HST and V.32 modems should have better
interactive "feel", but the 'blazer stomps both in terms of raw
throughput.

> USR is coming out with major modifications to the HST very shortly,
> although I'm not at liberty to say what they are, [...]

They already released that modem.  Now if only Telebit would release a
PEP/V.32 modem that supports SLIP.  With a half price deal, of course... :-)
--
James R. Van Artsdalen          james@bigtex.cactus.org   "Live Free or Die"
DCC Corporation     9505 Arboretum Blvd Austin TX 78759         512-338-8789

john@zygot.UUCP (John Higdon) (02/16/89)

In article <4035@alvin.mcnc.org>, felstein@mcnc.org (Bruce M. Felstein) writes:
> I think that you will find that the most used modem for 9600
> baud communications in the United States is the US Robotics
> HST.  The Telebit has trouble connecting at other speeds from what
> I've seen.  USR is coming out with major modifications to the HST

Of the eleven sites I talk to, exactly ONE has the HST (in addition to
Trailblazers), all the others have ONLY Trailblazers. Not a scientific
survey, but interesting.

My Telebit has no trouble connecting to anything at any speed.
--
John Higdon
john@zygot   ..sun!{apple|cohesive|pacbell}!zygot!john

rja@edison.GE.COM (rja) (02/16/89)

In article <4035@alvin.mcnc.org>, felstein@mcnc.org (Bruce M. Felstein) writes:
> I think that you will find that the most used modem for 9600
> baud communications in the United States is the US Robotics
> HST.  The Telebit has trouble connecting at other speeds from what
> I've seen.  USR is coming out with major modifications to the HST
> very shortly, although I'm not at liberty to say what they are, but
> you won't be dissapointed in speed or performance along with the
> fact that they will also be V.32 as well as HST compatible.

This is ironic.  My experience is that a Telebit will talk to any modem
at all without problems.  The Courier has trouble talking with anything
but a Courier at any speed.  UNIX/Internet sites overwhelmingly use
Telebit; FidoNet overwhelmingly uses Courier HSTs; Hayes 9600V is widely
used in PC BBSs other than FidoNet.  To claim that the Courier is
'the most used modem' is misleading and possibly inaccurate if one looks
at the number of Hayes 9600V modems sold versus the number of HSTs sold.

I believe that Hayes has still sold more 9600Vs than there are HSTs.

Telebit regularly upgrades its modems and I understand that V.32
compatibility is in the works.

I hope that we can avoiding starting another modem fight.  The kind of
modem one should pick depends largely upon one's application, each has its
advantages and disadvantages for specific applications.
         rja@edison.GE.COM      or      ...uunet!virginia!edison!rja
     via Internet (preferable)          via uucp  (if you must)

wrl@wdl1.UUCP (Bill Lewandowski) (02/16/89)

I can not comment on the HST 9600 modem but I can comment on using
modems out of the US that were not made for the phone system they
are used on. You may find out that the modem will not like the
"Dial Tone" it gets down under. I have tried to use modems in W. Germany,
Italy, and the UK and I have had to turn on the "X3" option which
is "Ignore Dial Tone". Sometimes your call goes through
and other times it doesn't. If you have good lines from down
under you should be able to do 9600 but I would expect fallback to 2400-1200
but I could be wrong.

Bill Lewandowski

albers@ka3ovk.UUCP (me.) (02/17/89)

>Telebits have, as I see it, only *one* disadvantage.  They don't conform
>to the (technically inferior) V.29 standard or (technically somewhat
>equivalent) V.32 standard.
             ^^^^^

At the Communications Networks '89 Expo, here in Washington, D.C. a couple of
weeks ago, Telebit announced the T2500, which is and upgraded TB+ which
includes V.32 compatability at 4800 and 9600 bps.  It also added remote
diagnostics..  Looks nice, and the person I talked to said it would be
available in April or May.

							Jon

| Jon Albers, IRS, Computer Services, Site Support and Installation(CS:M:S:P) |
| UUCP:...wb3ffv!irsx01!ka3ovk!(root|albers)         ARPA: JALBERS@SIMTEL20   |
| We are looking for any sites anywhere in the U.S. with Trailblazers for UUCP|
| Connections.  We can poll you.                                              |
--

rick@pcrat.UUCP (Rick Richardson) (02/17/89)

In article <13974@bigtex.cactus.org> james@bigtex.cactus.org (James Van Artsdalen) writes:
>They already released that modem.  Now if only Telebit would release a
>PEP/V.32 modem that supports SLIP.  With a half price deal, of course... :-)

I think they already released *that* modem, too.  I threw away the glossy
I got last week, but I'm sure it said V.32 on it.  No price, and no
word of an upgrade kit for Plus owners either.

--
Rick Richardson | JetRoff "di"-troff to LaserJet Postprocessor|uunet!pcrat!dry2
PC Research,Inc.| Mail: uunet!pcrat!jetroff; For anon uucp do:|for Dhrystone 2

libes@cme.nbs.gov (Don Libes) (02/17/89)

In article <13974@bigtex.cactus.org> james@bigtex.cactus.org (James Van Artsdalen) writes:
>                                     ...Now if only Telebit would release a
>PEP/V.32 modem that supports SLIP.  With a half price deal, of course... :-)

Visual Technologies just gave us a demo of their X terminal.  It
includes SLIP in ROM, which seems to make it ideal for hooking up to a
9600 baud modem from home.

Unfortunately, the people demo'ing the unit had the brain of a pea and
said they would have to talk to their engineers before admitting this
would work.

Is anybody interested in this?  Done it?  Planning to?
With what modem?  X terminal?

Lastly, does any modem manufacture spoof SLIP?  (Were you jesting
about Telebit, or do you actually know if they are going to do it?)

Don Libes          libes@cme.nbs.gov      ...!uunet!cme-durer!libes

dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) (02/18/89)

In article <896@muffin.cme.nbs.gov> libes@cme.nbs.gov (Don Libes) writes:
>Lastly, does any modem manufacture spoof SLIP?  (Were you jesting
>about Telebit, or do you actually know if they are going to do it?)

Since IP is a datagram protocol, there really isn't much to 'spoof',
ACK-wise (no ACKs), and spoofing TCP would seem to require an
arbitrarily large amount of state to spoof every VC that passed through
the modem pair.  It would also suggest that it would wreak havoc with
RTT calculations.  Remember that UUCP, [xy]modem and kermit spoofing
really depends on the fact that there is a single pseudo-half-duplex
protocol providing only one "virtual circuit" between the two Telebits.

However, for simple point-to-point set-ups, you could imagine a mode
where a lot of the IP header could be dispensed with (though I think
host support for this is probably a better idea.)  Also, Telebit needs
to do some work optimizing its internal packet sizes and turn-around
times for connections used for SLIP.  This isn't really "spoofing"
but it would help.

--
Steve Dyer
dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.com aka {ima,harvard,rayssd,linus,m2c}!spdcc!dyer

smb@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Steven M. Bellovin) (02/19/89)

It's easy to do a lot of header prediction code in the link-level driver;
most of the packet doesn't change much, especially for TCP ACKs.  See, for
example, RFC914, Farber, D.J.; Delp, G.; Conte, T.M., ``Thinwire protocol
for connecting personal computers to the Internet.''  It is probably better
to do that in the host, but doing it (or equivalent) in a Trailblazer modem
would help siginificantly.

todonne@topaz.rutgers.edu (Thomas O'Donnell) (02/21/89)

dcs.class.323

craig@n8ino.UUCP (R. Craig Peterson ) (02/21/89)

Barring any interface problems I'm very sure I'd use a Telebit.  Its
amazingly adaptive circuitry allows it to be used over incredibly
lossy & lousy phone lines.  It gets through all over the world at
speeds greater than 8kbps where other modems can't connect, or lose
their connections.

There was even one site in New Jersey that I couldn't maintain a clean
link to at 1200 bps.  MNP didn't help much, in fact sometimes it was
impossible to get any meaningful data through.  The trailblazer just
runs along at or near top data rates (>12kbps) without any problems.
The purchase of the modems was certainly worth it!
--
R. Craig Peterson (N8INO)
mcdchg!n8ino!craig	craig@n8ino.UUCP