[comp.dcom.modems] TB+ register 120

john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) (02/19/89)

    After reading a recent posting I tried changing the settings of
register 120 which is supposed to be the packet size. I was able
to change this setting to a 12 (it was formerly a zero).  I also changed
the settings on the receiving end to the same thing and proceeded to
try a file transfer. I noticed no difference in the way the SD/RD Leds
flashed and no noticable throughput difference. Could it be that my
changing the setting had no effect at all ?  Has anyone else tried this and
noted any different results ?

					John

--
John Gayman, WA3WBU              |           UUCP: uunet!wa3wbu!john
1869 Valley Rd.                  |           ARPA: john@wa3wbu.uu.net

denny@mcmi.UUCP (Dennis Page) (02/20/89)

In article <249@wa3wbu.UUCP> john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) writes:
>I was able
>to change this setting to a 12 (it was formerly a zero).  I also changed
>the settings on the receiving end to the same thing and proceeded to
>try a file transfer.

1.  You don't need it set on both ends.  If either end has micro packets
    disabled (or has < 4.0 roms), then they won't be used.

2.  Disabling micro packets has little or no effect on file transfers, where
    long packets are primarily being used.  Try running vi or emacs.
--
Never get off the interstate.

wayne@teemc.UUCP (//ichael R. //ayne) (02/21/89)

In article <249@wa3wbu.UUCP> john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) writes:
->
->    After reading a recent posting I tried changing the settings of
->register 120 which is supposed to be the packet size. I was able
->to change this setting to a 12 (it was formerly a zero).  I also changed
->the settings on the receiving end to the same thing and proceeded to
->try a file transfer. I noticed no difference in the way the SD/RD Leds
->flashed and no noticable throughput difference.

	It is my understanding that it deals with INTERACTIVE use, not
file xfer.  It would be REAL nice if Telebit would answer this rather
than leaving us to our speculation.  I got the information second hand
and am still running on version 3 EPROMS so have no applicable experience.

	Can it really be that no one else has gleaned any information out
of Telebit regarding modem settings?  Perhaps it's time to start disassembling
some EPROMS.  Now, where'd I put that 680x0 disassembler...

/\/\ \/\/
--
Michael R. Wayne      ---      TMC & Associates      ---      wayne@teemc.uucp
INTERNET: wayne%teemc.uucp@mailgw.cc.umich.edu        uunet!edsews!teemc!wayne

gws@egvideo.UUCP (Geoff Scully) (02/21/89)

Further to the discussion about mystery registers in the Telebit 4.00
roms, I have discovered that S122 on my Tbit is set to default 1. I have
tried playing around with this (setting to 0 etc...) but have not noted
any result. Any guesses, hints, info on what this one is?

			--g
  Geoff Scully
  Internet: gws@egvideo.UUCP              UUCP: ..!{uunet!}watmath!egvideo!gws

In article <38181@teemc.UUCP> wayne@teemc.UUCP (/\/\ichael R. \/\/ayne) writes:
>In article <249@wa3wbu.UUCP> john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) writes:
>->
>->    After reading a recent posting I tried changing the settings of
>->register 120 which is supposed to be the packet size.
>
>	Can it really be that no one else has gleaned any information out
>of Telebit regarding modem settings?  Perhaps it's time to start disassembling
>some EPROMS.  Now, where'd I put that 680x0 disassembler...

Naw, some of us have some info :-)

Valid S120 values that I know of:
	0 -  Normal mode
	2 -  Long packets only (this makes interactive use SLOOOOW!)
	3 -  Long packets only and 2 bits per channel (this will make
	     the modem work on even REALLY bad lines, but at only 5-6kbaud)
	8 -  TCD Packets (no idea what they are, and I haven't used this one).
	12 - Disable micropackets.  This is useful if you keep losing
	     connections; there are some phone switches which barf
	     occasionally when you're set to 0.  If so, try 12.

The only one which has a really bad effect on throughput is S120=3, and I
would only recommend that if you can't get through any other way.
Nonetheless, if you need it, this can be a lifesaver.

This register appears to be a bit mask, and other combinations are probably
possible.....

Heh Telebit -- how about a posting of ALL the register settings and what
they do.... Some of us would love to get our hands on that info!

--
Karl Denninger (karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM, ddsw1!karl)
Data: [+1 312 566-8912], Voice: [+1 312 566-8910]
Macro Computer Solutions, Inc.    	"Quality solutions at a fair price"

wayne@teemc.UUCP (//ichael R. //ayne) (02/23/89)

In article <2987@ddsw1.MCS.COM> karl@ddsw1.UUCP (Karl Denninger) writes:

>Heh Telebit -- how about a posting of ALL the register settings and what
>they do.... Some of us would love to get our hands on that info!

	Agreed!  Even if they are not "supported" configurations, it
would be useful to know what the modem is capable of doing!  Actually,
it seems odd that Telebit has not responded with something like this
before now, considering how responsive they generally are...

/\/\ \/\/
--

stacy@mcl.UUCP (Stacy L. Millions) (02/23/89)

In article <38181@teemc.UUCP>, wayne@teemc.UUCP (//ichael R. //ayne) writes:
> In article <249@wa3wbu.UUCP> john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) writes:
> >    After reading a recent posting I tried changing the settings of
> > register 120 which is supposed to be the packet size. I was able
> > to change this setting to a 12 (it was formerly a zero).  I also changed
> > the settings on the receiving end to the same thing and proceeded to
> > try a file transfer. I noticed no difference in the way the SD/RD Leds
> > flashed and no noticable throughput difference.
>
> 	It is my understanding that it deals with INTERACTIVE use, not
> file xfer.  It would be REAL nice if Telebit would answer this rather
> than leaving us to our speculation.  I got the information second hand
> and am still running on version 3 EPROMS so have no applicable experience.

It was suggested to my by a customer service tech. at Telebit to try
changing the value of s120 to either 3 or 12 (I have a particuliarly
bad phone line, the worst that the tech had ever seen any way). His
explanation of what the s120 register did, was that it throttled down
the useable bandwidth of the phone line. He never did give me very
much information about what this register did, dispite all of my
question, so I could be wrong (not that it has ever happend before :-).

I hope this helps fuzzify the mudifications.

-stacy

--
"He to whom the early bird runs best learns wisdom and patience!
                          ... I can never remember proverbs" - Charlie Brown