[comp.dcom.modems] Microcom AX/2400 configuration dipswitch

roth@macom1.UUCP (Dennis Roth) (02/24/89)

An almost new Microcom AX/2400 modem has come into my possession. :^)
But the manual is nowhere to be found! :^(
This is a V.22 bis modem, isn't it? 8^o
How do I set the configuration dip switch to make it a Hayes
compatable autodial/autoanswer modem?
If it can't use the Hayes command set, how do I command it
to dial?

Please email to me the proper setting of the configuration dip switch
or post it to this newsgroup. You're assistance in this matter will
be deeply appreciated! Thank You! 8^)
--
Dennis Roth     ...grebyn!macom1!roth          Centel Federal Systems
                ...netsys!macom1!roth          11400 Commerce Park Drive

tcm@srhqla.UUCP (Tim Meighan) (02/27/89)

In article <4822@macom1.UUCP> roth@macom1.UUCP (Dennis Roth) writes:

>An almost new Microcom AX/2400 modem has come into my possession. :^)
>How do I set the configuration dip switch to make it a Hayes compatible?

This modem works as a Hayes ("AT mode") or Microcom ("SX mode") type unit.
It will work as async, sync, dial-up, or lease.  The manual is a 200 page
book.  You can get one from:

Microcom, Inc
1400A Providence Highway
Norwood, MA 02062
(617) 762-9310

I highly recommend getting the manual because this is a very sophisticated
unit and it has a LOT of extensions to the basic AT command set that you
will find really useful.  This modem will act like it's broken if you don't
program it correctly, however.  (Just like anything else.)

To help you get started, if you set the switches thus:

A/S push-button in front OUT.
FRONT: All switches down except 4,5,6,7 up (9 and 10 up if you have 'em)
 BACK: All switches down except 1,2,4,6 up

you will have an AT type modem that gives long result codes, has command
echo on, auto-answers on one ring, CD line asserts on connect only, and
uses the highest MNP level that the remote modem supports (if any).  It
also auto-bauds on the serial port side and connects to the remote modem
from 0-300, 1200, or 2400 baud depending on the remote modem.

These modems are terrific for dial-up use, not so hot for lease lines.
There were minor programming bugs in the firmware that seem to all be
fixed with revision 4.7.

NOTE: We are not associated with Microcom, Inc in any way except as a
user of their products.

Tim Meighan

Network Operations
SilentRadio