[comp.dcom.modems] MNP modem query

wlm@archet.UUCP (William L. Moran Jr.) (03/12/89)

In article <53244@yale-celray.yale.UUCP> Owens-Christopher@cs.yale.edu (Christopher Owens) writes:
>Would someone be kind to answer a few naive questions about modem
>technology.  I'm interested in communicating between a Macintosh-based
>terminal emulator and a couple of unix sites, for mixed interactive
>and file transfer use.
>
>1)  What do the various levels of MNP mean?

OK, (hi Chris). Here goes:
MNP 2: Uses async framing; throughput < baud rate
MNP 3: Uses sync framing removes start and stop bits; gets something
       like 25% better perf than MNP 2; throughput marginally better
       than baud rate
MNP 4: Uses sync framing plus something called "Adaptive Packet Assembly";
       and "Optimized Data Phase"; I think this means it varies packet
       size based on external factors. throughput about 10% better than
       MNP 3 (~2800 bps with a 2400 bps modem)
MNP 5: Uses data compression. This does about 1.8x as well (when with
       MNP 4 as MNP 4 does alone).
MNP 6: Auto reliable; allows modems to negotiate as to the best speed
       they can both manage. Also statistical duplexing. 1/2 duplex.
MNP 7: Better compression than MNP 5 (I think when used with MNP 4 it
       does about 2.2x as well as MNP 4 alone).
MNP 9: MNP 7 Plus V.32 (i.e. full duplex).

As far as I know, MNP is owned by microcomm and only their modems use
MNP higher than 5.

>2) If I am talking to a Unix site over modems that offer some kind of
>automatic speed selection, I assume I want to tell the Unix host and
>my terminal that we are talking at -- say -- 9600 baud and let the
>modems do their thing.  Is this correct?  Can MNP modems support one
>speed between the terminal and the modem, and anothere speed over the
>long-haul (telco) lines?

Yes, above a certain mnp level (I'm not sure which), you set a speed
to the modem (for example tip at 19.2k or have a getty running at 19.2K),
and the modem then transmits to the serial port at this speed while
deciding what speed it will send to the other modem with; this can be
hazardous. For example, the V.32 MNP 9 modem I have will connect to another
and get throughput better than 9600 (19.2 approx) and if you are connected
to the modem at 9600, it's buffer overflows eventually.

Actually, I suspect that this is not a feature associated with
MNP levels, but I'm not sure.

>3) I assume that these modems have a variety of parameters that need
>to be twiddled.  Is this done via some superset of a Hayes-like
>command sequence, or is there some other method that must be used to
>tell the modem what to do.

Yes, some of these suckers have about 200 pages of commands and
explanations :). Seriously though, they use extended Hayes commands
(mostly) in addition to proprietary command sets (ugh).

>4) The (just-released) Practical Peripherals 2400 SA/MNP has been
>recommended to me.  Anybody have any opinions on it?

No, sorry.

				Bill Moran

--
moran@cs.yale.edu  wlm@ibm.com  uunet!bywater!acheron!archet!wlm

Idealism is fine, but as it approaches reality the cost becomes prohibitive.
				wfb