[comp.dcom.modems] MultiTech 224E Questions

ssd@sugar.hackercorp.com (Scott Denham) (03/23/89)

I have what is hopefully a simple problem with a MultiTech 224E modem
that's been loaned to our users group for a BBS system. In general, the
modem performs flawlessly, but on two occasions, both following brief
power interruptions, the modem has refused to answer incoming calls
despite the fact that S0 has been set to 1. In both cases the BBS was
kicked down by a local power interruption, came back up correctly, but
could not receive calls due to the state of the modem. The setup string
looks fine and works on all other occasions. I confirmed that S0 was set
to 1. In this state, the modem will dial fine, and will answer if forced
to by either the front panel or an AT command. Cycling the power on the
modem does NOT help, and it does not go away with time - on one occasion
it was not detected for 36 hours. Leaving the modem off overnight DOES
solve the problem. Unfortunately, I have no documentation for this unit,
but I notice that it does have a lithium battery onboard and suspect the
problem may revolve around that and perhaps a scrambing of non-volitile
memory. Is there a command that resets this memory that I could add to
the BBS startup sequence???   Does this unit in fact have some sort of
local battery backed memory ??

  Thanks.......
      Scott Denham
       Sysop, Club Amiga BBS
        Houston, TX

rg@psgdc (Dick Gill) (03/25/89)

In article <3664@sugar.hackercorp.com> ssd@sugar.hackercorp.com (Scott Denham) writes:

>I have what is hopefully a simple problem with a MultiTech 224E modem
>Is there a command that resets this memory that I could add to
>the BBS startup sequence???

Try a &F command to load the factory default settings and values
from the dip switch.  A Z command will reset to default values
plus changes saved with the &W0 command.

>Does this unit in fact have some sort of local battery backed memory ??

According to the manual, the &W0 command causes current settings
to be stored in the "battery-backed (non-votatile) read/write
memory (RAM)."  I guess that the answer is yes, although there
is no reference in the manual to changing the battery; we have
used a number of these modems for years without doing anything
to a battery. (I didn't even know they existed until I RTFM to
get an answer to your question!)

I have found the MultiTech people to be very helpful over the
years; you might want to give them a call at (800)328-9717.

Dick

eps@noe.UUCP (Eric P. Scott) (03/25/89)

AT&W stores the current settings in NVRAM.
AT&W1 disables NVRAM; subsequent resets use the dip switches.
AT&F loads factory defaults.

Multi-Tech has excellent customer support (in my limited
experience--I haven't had many problems!).  They can be reached
at (800) 328-9717 or (612) 631-3550 voice, BBS (612) 631-0922.

In case it is a firmware problem,
ATI displays model id (241 = MT224, 244 = MT224E).
ATI1 displays firmware version number.
ATI2 displays error correction firmware version (224E only).

<usual disclaimer>
					-=EPS=-