[comp.dcom.modems] hi speed modems in Germany

korn@altger.UUCP (Hans Korneder) (03/15/89)

In article <4377@drivax.DRI> braun@drivax.DRI (Karl T. Braun (kral)) writes:
>I'm trying to setup a connection with one of our sites in Germany.  Apparently
>they have very stingent rules concerning what kinds of equipment can be used
>over their telco lines.  I know that a lot of 2400 baud modems have been
>'approved' for use there; does anyone know of any faster modems that have
>likewise been approved?  (TB+ is approved, but only 2400 and lower).

The German Bundespost just started a *large* field-test (some 50 sites involved)
with the Telebit Trailblazer (modified a bit by Kabelmetall Elektrik
to allow 1200/75 Baud, to use Bundespost-plugs instead J11, etc.)

According to Bundespost-insiders, this modem is about to being approved by the end of
this year. (hopefully).

But anyhow: I guess, you won't be very happy with a TB+ across the ocean:
The TB-modems do some sort of token passing between the modems when they are idling.
If you dial and get a sattelite-line, there are *some* delays on the line, which make it
almost impossible for that mechanism to work. (At least those were my experiences).

TB's perform excellent on lines thruout Europe; They hardly set up a link across the ocean..

--
Hans Korneder                            SNAILMAIL: Altos Computer Systems
UUCP: korn@altger.uucp                              Wuermstrasse 55

w-colinp@microsoft.UUCP (Colin Plumb) (03/19/89)

korn@altger.UUCP (Hans Korneder) wrote:
> But anyhow: I guess, you won't be very happy with a TB+ across the ocean:
> The TB-modems do some sort of token passing between the modems when they are
> idling.  If you dial and get a satellite-line, there are *some* delays on
> the line, which make it almost impossible for that mechanism to work. (At
> least those were my experiences).

This seems very odd; I thought the Telebit guys were smarter than this and
could cope with long-latency lines.  They're certainly aware (uucp spoofing
an all) of how badly simplistic protocols die in the face of longer
latency.
--
	-Colin (uunet!microsoft!w-colinp)

"Don't listen to me.  I never do." - The Doctor

piet@cwi.nl (Piet Beertema) (03/21/89)

	TB's perform excellent on lines thruout Europe; They hardly
	set up a link across the ocean..
Not entirely true: that's the case if both sides have
the 4.0 software revision level; if either side (or
both) have the 3.0 level it works just fine. Of course
it suffers from the normal 3.0 drawback: very slow for
interactive use; but it's fast in batch mode (like uucp).
Supposedly Telebit has come up with a newer 4.x version
that should have solved the problems of transatlantic
links, while maintaining good interactive speed, but
sofar I haven't seen any sign of that new release.

--
Opinions expressed above reflect those of my employer, except when they don't.

	Piet Beertema, CWI, Amsterdam	(piet@cwi.nl)

patg@impch.UUCP (Patrick Guelat) (03/21/89)

In article <1445@altger.UUCP> korn@altger.UUCP (Hans Korneder) writes:
#
#But anyhow: I guess, you won't be very happy with a TB+ across the ocean:
#The TB-modems do some sort of token passing between the modems when they are idling.
#If you dial and get a sattelite-line, there are *some* delays on the line, which make it
#almost impossible for that mechanism to work. (At least those were my experiences).
#
#TB's perform excellent on lines thruout Europe; They hardly set up a link across the ocean..

I think there is an undocumented register in v4.0 of the firmware, that allows
you to disable the little packets (the ones for interactive use). As far as I
can remeber it's register 120 that allows you to set different packet modes.
Possibly you have to set 120=2 to allow long packets only, but I'm not
sure.. Perhaps telebit can answer this and tell us if there are other
undocumented registers.

BTW, we use a Telebit TB+ that we've got from the U.S. here in Switzerland,
Europe. I heard that the new firware (v4.0) supports V21 and V23. If this is
true, it would be nice to know how to use this features ! (eg. V21 fallback
for our poor 300 bps users.. ;-)

	-Pat
--
\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//
// Patrick Guelat, boxdiger@impch ......!backbone!impch!{boxdiger,patg}   \\

korn@altger.UUCP (Hans Korneder) (03/21/89)

Some days ago I posted my problem with Telebit Trailblazer modems
(version 4.00 firmware) with satelite links across the ocean.
Meanwhile I've got a solution. To summarize:

)
)This seems very odd; I thought the Telebit guys were smarter than this and
)could cope with long-latency lines.  They're certainly aware (uucp spoofing
)an all) of how badly simplistic protocols die in the face of longer
)latency.

They are smarter...

)From: piet@cwi.nl (Piet Beertema):
)	TB's perform excellent on lines thruout Europe; They hardly
)	set up a link across the ocean..
)Not entirely true: that's the case if both sides have
)the 4.0 software revision level; if either side (or
)both) have the 3.0 level it works just fine. Of course
)it suffers from the normal 3.0 drawback: very slow for
)interactive use; but it's fast in batch mode (like uucp).
)Supposedly Telebit has come up with a newer 4.x version
)that should have solved the problems of transatlantic
)links, while maintaining good interactive speed, but
)sofar I haven't seen any sign of that new release.

Not entirely true, too...

)From: piet@cwi.nl (Piet Beertema):
)	Watching the lights, it *looks* like there are 7 exchanges then
)	a significant (1-3 seconds) pause before communications continues.
)	Has anyone seen similar performance
)Yes.
)	and fixed the problem ?
)yes: go back to 3.0 software level.
)
)	Both telebits are using version 4.00 ROMs
)The problem is in 4.0; and you can *hear* it going wrong:
)first give "atm2" to constantly enable the speaker, then
)set up the connection by hand. And then listen to the
)endless retrains/renegotiates of the modems trying to get
)"in sync" again; those are the pauses you observe.
)

Don't go back to 3.0 software-level...

Well, all those replies were correct, I noticed exactly the same
strange retrains/renegotiations.

But then I set the register: S120=12
(Don't complain, please... I don't have any description of register 120..
I didn't even know, there was a register 120 before...,
AT&W doesn't save register 120, so include it into your dialer-script,
I've got that information from Rick Adams, ...)

And guess, what happened: The modem transferred text files across the
ocean at a rate of > 1700 chars/sec, without retrains/renegotiations etc..

Hope, you can share my good experience..

Hans
--

braun@drivax.UUCP (Kral) (03/22/89)

In article <844@sering.cwi.nl|  piet@cwi.nl (Piet Beertema) writes:
| Not entirely true: that's the case if both sides have
| the 4.0 software revision level; if either side (or
| both) have the 3.0 level it works just fine. Of course
| it suffers from the normal 3.0 drawback: very slow for
| interactive use; but it's fast in batch mode (like uucp).
| Supposedly Telebit has come up with a newer 4.x version
| that should have solved the problems of transatlantic
| links, while maintaining good interactive speed, but
| sofar I haven't seen any sign of that new release.

I have two TB+s that we bought during the December close out.  How does
this affect us (we are trying to set up links with the UK and Germany)?
How do I know which software version I have?  What, exactly, are the
"problems of transatlantic links"?  Have I used up my monthly quota of
dumb questions yet?

--
kral 	408/647-6112			...{ism780|amdahl}!drivax!braun
"To surrender is to remain in the hands of barbarians for the rest of my life;

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) (03/27/89)

In article <729@impch.UUCP> patg@impch.UUCP (Patrick Guelat) writes:

>I think there is an undocumented register in v4.0 of the firmware, that allows
>you to disable the little packets (the ones for interactive use). As far as I
>can remeber it's register 120 that allows you to set different packet modes.
>Possibly you have to set 120=2 to allow long packets only, but I'm not
>sure.. Perhaps telebit can answer this and tell us if there are other
>undocumented registers.

I was recently talking with Bob Boynton at Telebit, and the subject of
my problems connecting with UUNET over the 800 lines came up.  He
described register s120, and suggested I try setting it to 2.  I did,
and all my problems went away.  I have included a short description of
the register below.  It is a bit-mapped register, and using other values
won't do anything.  Bob said that using a value of 2 might come up with
a net loss of about 15% throughput, however I have not noticed any
reduction.

s120=	0	when modems connect, and exchange info, will attempt to
		connect at the shortest possible packet
	12	forces modem to abondon micropacket (faster on long
		distance lines)
	2	long packets

A suggestion he suggested was to turning the speaker on at all times
(atm2).  If you hear a lot of retrains (period of silence followed by
re-syncing sound heard upon initial connect) then try setting s120=2.

JB

--
Jonathan Bayer			      Beware: The light at the end of the
Intelligent Software Products, Inc.	      tunnel may be an oncoming dragon