[comp.dcom.modems] $119 2400-baud modem 'out-performs all others'?

jdpeek@RODAN.ACS.SYR.EDU (Jerry Peek) (03/27/89)

Byte Magazine had a review of the CompuCom 2400 baud internal modem...
they said it was a great deal.  The company keeps running ads...
$95 for a 2400-baud modem, 30-day money-back guarantee.  For $24 more
they'll add their "Dynamic Impedance Stabilization" option that makes
the modem "outperform the challengers, regardless of cost."

Sounds too good to be true -- but are they right?  Any complaints?  Thanks...

--Jerry Peek; Syracuse University Academic Computing Services; Syracuse, NY
  jdpeek@rodan.acs.syr.edu
  +1 315 443-3995

mfi@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Mark Interrante) (03/27/89)

In article <8903261513.AA01975@rodan.acs.syr.edu> jdpeek@RODAN.ACS.SYR.EDU (Jerry Peek) writes:
>Byte Magazine had a review of the CompuCom 2400 baud internal modem...
>they said it was a great deal.  The company keeps running ads...
>$95 for a 2400-baud modem, 30-day money-back guarantee.  For $24 more
>they'll add their "Dynamic Impedance Stabilization" option that makes
>the modem "outperform the challengers, regardless of cost."

Does anyone have any idea what the Dynamic Impedance Stabilization" option does?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Mark Interrante   		Software Engineering Research Center
mfi@beach.cis.ufl.edu		CIS Department, University of Florida 32611
"Imagine what it would be like if TV actually were good. It would be the end
 of everything we know."  Marvin Minsky

davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (Wm. E. Davidsen Jr) (03/29/89)

  Good modems can be cheap. I just got two genuine Micom 2400 baud
external modems for $125 each. They have MNP class 4 and seem to be
pretty noise resistant even in the non-MNP mode. Setup for a UNIX system
was a trifle time consuming, but not all that bad. After one day
experience I'm happy. No telling how I'll feel after a month, but I can
use a screen editor at work now over some really crappy connections. My
non-MNP connect for a mail feed went slightly better than it did over my
old modems, but it's too early to tell.

  I would assume that someone not married to the owner of a computer
store could get them for about $160, internal about $150. I'll report in
a month or so unless other people report their experience first.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@crd.GE.COM)