[comp.dcom.modems] Using Telebits on International Calls

tim@nytim.UUCP (Tim's Personal Id.) (03/19/89)

We have telebit Trailblazers operating in the USA and Hong Kong.
Within the US we achieve >13000 baud easily. However US/HK throughput
is very poor. Watching the lights, it *looks* like there are 7
exchanges then a significant (1-3 seconds) pause before communications
continues.

Has anyone seen similar performance and fixed the problem ?
Both telebits are using version 4.00 ROMs - is there a bug or is it a
configuration problem.

Thanks in advance for e-mail replies - I'll summarize and post the
results.
	Tim.

+---------------------------+ At work:
| Tim Stone                 | UUCP: ...!rutgers!hombre!marob!nytim!tim
| Chase Leasing Services Co,| Tel : (212) 552-7132
| 1 Chase Plaza,            | Fax : (212) 269-9690
| New York, NY 10081,       |
+---------------------------+  afraid to laugh" - Voltaire.

kunkee@ficc.uu.net (randy kunkee XNX MGR) (03/20/89)

In article <404@nytim.UUCP>, tim@nytim.UUCP (Tim's Personal Id.) writes:
> We have telebit Trailblazers operating in the USA and Hong Kong.
> Within the US we achieve >13000 baud easily. However US/HK throughput
> is very poor. Watching the lights, it *looks* like there are 7
> exchanges then a significant (1-3 seconds) pause before communications
> continues.
>
> Has anyone seen similar performance and fixed the problem ?
> Both telebits are using version 4.00 ROMs - is there a bug or is it a
> configuration problem.

Last year (Sept. 88) we purchased some TB+ modems along with our
other half in England hoping to get great e-mail service.  It worked
great for about 2 or so months and then suddenly we started to really
eat it on performance.  We'd call and sometimes not even get carrier,
or connect and loose the line before the uucp login could succeed, or
just drop in the middle of a transfer.  Funny thing is that, through
all of this, if the Brits initiate the call, they get through and can
get all of the work performed just fine!

Several things have happenned since we first set up: our ROLM system
was "upgraded" with more capacity for extensions (no flames about
going through the ROLM, please -- we tried a direct line with little
or no better results); our long distance carrier (unknown to me) started
switching over to "One plus dialing" (apparently, the ROLM system,
invisibly except for time, was calling a number and entering an access
code whenever we dialed a long distance number).  Now I can code the
ROLM to give me an AT&T trunk instead of our normal carrier (of course
it all really goes through AT&T anyway), and that seems to have helped
but not enough.

One thing that is really strange is that when we connect, we just get
CONNECT, not CONNECT FAST, not CONNECT FAST/COMP/UUCP (which is what
we really should be getting).  Yes, we have Q0 and X3, so we should
get the whole thing right?  We call other systems in the U.S., the
only difference is the number, and here we get FAST/COMP/UUCP!  I'm
sure they have their registers set correctly at the other end to enable
COMP/UUCP.  In any case, the FST light on the modem is on, but the modem
doesn't give the extended result code it should.

I've talked to Telebit and need to talk to them some more, but if anyone
has any thoughts that might help (we're playing with S120 and S36) I'd
like to hear them.
--
Randy Kunkee
Ferranti International Controls Corporation

piet@cwi.nl (Piet Beertema) (03/21/89)

	Watching the lights, it *looks* like there are 7 exchanges then
	a significant (1-3 seconds) pause before communications continues.
	Has anyone seen similar performance
Yes.
	and fixed the problem ?
yes: go back to 3.0 software level.

	Both telebits are using version 4.00 ROMs
The problem is in 4.0; and you can *hear* it going wrong:
first give "atm2" to constantly enable the speaker, then
set up the connection by hand. And then listen to the
endless retrains/renegotiates of the modems trying to get
"in sync" again; those are the pauses you observe.

--
Opinions expressed above reflect those of my employer, except when they don't.

	Piet Beertema, CWI, Amsterdam	(piet@cwi.nl)

vjs@rhyolite.SGI.COM (Vernon Schryver) (03/21/89)

In article <3474@ficc.uu.net>, kunkee@ficc.uu.net (randy kunkee XNX MGR) writes:

> ...Last year (Sept. 88) we purchased some TB+ modems along with our
> other half in England hoping to get great e-mail service.  It worked
> great for about 2 or so months and then suddenly we started to really
> eat it on performance....
>
> Randy Kunkee
> Ferranti International Controls Corporation
> 12808 W. Airport Blvd.  Sugar Land, TX 77478
> UUCP: uunet!ficc!kunkee       ph: (713) 274-5132

I had similar problems with TB's between the Bay Area (in CA) and KY (near
eye sight of Cincinnati) using either MCI or SPRINT.  There didn't seem to
be enough [?bandwidth?] to allow the TB's to work.  They'd retrain every
few seconds, and give up and drop the connection after 10-30 seconds, if
they got carrier at all first.  Turning on the speaker during data was
illiminating, as was checking the numbers while the link was trying to be
up.  A nice fellow at Telebit gave me some magic &J and S112 numbers to
try, but they did not help significantly.

Switching to AT&T solved the problem.  This despite the fact that the MCI
circuits sounded better to my ear.  This bugged me since I hold grudges
against Mother Bell, being able to remember Carterphone and $15/mon DAA's
and accustic couplers and racks of obsolete 103's that they wouldn't allow
us to replace and ...

So my dialer scripts have lots of '10xxx1' prefixes.

Vernon Schryver
Silicon Graphics
vjs@sgi.com

kunkee@ficc.uu.net (randy kunkee XNX MGR) (04/01/89)

In article <3474@ficc.uu.net>, kunkee@ficc.uu.net (randy kunkee XNX MGR) writes:
> One thing that is really strange is that when we connect, we just get
> CONNECT, not CONNECT FAST, not CONNECT FAST/COMP/UUCP (which is what
> we really should be getting).

The answer is: in the dial string we were using X's appended to the end
to make uucico wait longer before giving up.  After pulling my hair out
(of which I don't have much to afford this sort of behavior) I discovered
that after my call if I printed the registers the X register magically
went from X3 to X0.  Hmmph, I say.  Apparently the Trailblazer+ is inter-
preting the X's in the dial string as an X command and defaulting it to
zero.  I have reported this to Telebit.  We have 4.0 proms.