[comp.dcom.modems] Dialback modems

freed@trane.UUCP (Erik Freed) (10/12/87)

Can anyone give me boot strap to dial-back technology? I am
struggling to get sources to how it is done. We are running
Sun-3s and are interested in both software and hardware solutions.
		Thanks in advance
			Erik

scotto@pnet01.CTS.COM (Scott O'Connell) (10/16/87)

Anderson Jacobsen - 408/435-8520
Dataprobe Technologies - 201/569-6464

Scott O'Connell - Datagram Corp.   UUCP: {cbosgd hplabs!hp-sdd sdcsvax nosc}...
3297 Sweetwater Springs Blvd #8          ...crash!pnet01!scotto
San Diego, CA 92078-1477           ARPA: crash!pnet01!scotto@nosc
800/235-5030                       INET: scotto@pnet01.CTS.COM

csc@chinet.UUCP (Craig Curtin) (05/20/88)

Hello,
I'm looking for some help with new everex modems and a SYS III dialback
program for an INTEL 310 computer.

Anyone out there ever use the everex 24e modem? its a 2400/1200 external
thats prices nicely (~~$225)  at elektek.  we seem to have some problems
when the speed toggles from 2400 to 1200 baud. it will not go back to
2400 baud till the modem is reset (ATZ) or powered down.
Anyone have a dial-back set (getty,login,??) for system III? any help
is appreciated.
thanks,

craig curtin
ihnp4!chinet!csc
(312) 985-9000x2376

Paul_L_Schauble@cup.portal.com (05/22/88)

I also noticed that the Everex 24e modem cannot send a break. I don't know
if this is a problem for uucp or not.

    Paul

davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) (05/23/88)

In article <5755@cup.portal.com> Paul_L_Schauble@cup.portal.com writes:
| I also noticed that the Everex 24e modem cannot send a break. I don't know
| if this is a problem for uucp or not.
|
|     Paul

  Are you *real* sure about that? Could you give a little more info?
If I get problems with people calling into my system I want to be sure
before I tell tham their modems are broken.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

jfh@rpp386.UUCP (John F. Haugh II) (05/26/88)

In article <5755@cup.portal.com> Paul_L_Schauble@cup.portal.com writes:
>I also noticed that the Everex 24e modem cannot send a break. I don't know
>if this is a problem for uucp or not.
>--
>    Paul

this is simply not true.  my Everex 24E sends BREAK's to most of the
1200 baud systems i talk to.

almost all of the lines in my L.sys file have in:-BREAK-in:-BREAK-in:
as part of the expect/send sequence.  i have little trouble getting
connected, once i get past the busy signals i encounter ...

- john.
--
John F. Haugh II                 | "You see, I want a lot. Perhaps I want every
River Parishes Programming       | -thing.  The darkness that comes with every

CWUGC@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (04/22/89)

Hi,
    I am looking for information on security modems and or software that
will allow users to get their VAX to call back their PC's/terminals at
home.  The concern here is to make sure that programmers on administrative
groups not pay long distance charges when they perform essential tasks.

   The machines either run VMS or BSD4.3 Unix. Any information or pointers
to software and hardware solutions both PD and commercial will be most helpful

Thanks in advance

C Wu
cwugc@cunyvm.cuny.edu
cwugc@cunyvm (BITNET)

jeffp@phred.UUCP (Jeff Parke) (04/27/89)

In article <2168CWUGC@CUNYVM> CWUGC@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU writes:
>Hi,
>    I am looking for information on security modems and or software that
>will allow users to get their VAX to call back their PC's/terminals at
>home.  The concern here is to make sure that programmers on administrative
>groups not pay long distance charges when they perform essential tasks.

Datagram Corporation Model DCE224 has been a good solution for us.

11 Main St., E. Greenwich, R.I.  02818 is their address.
Phone may be: 617-658-6050.
--
...uw-beaver!pilchuck!phred!jeffp {Jeff Parke}
Genie  : JEFFP  | DELPHI : JEFFPARKE |  CIS : 71511,1512