[comp.dcom.modems] MNP Auto-Reliable + getty: happy accident or design?

jr@oglvee.UUCP (Jim Rosenberg) (04/11/89)

Lately I've discovered that if a UNIX machine is answering the phone at 1200
baud and the caller is calling at 2400 in MNP auto-reliable mode, the MNP
handshake seems to toggle the receiver's getty to 2400 just like that, just
about every time.  The modems in both cases are similar:  Multitech external
and Multitech internal.  Both have MNP, but only the caller is in auto-
reliable mode; the receiver is running plain vanilla.  The manual describes
the MNP handshake as a "Link Request".  MNP functions with no start & stop
bits, so I assume this Link Request is sent with no start & stop bits also.
My understanding is that getty will be toggled by anything that looks like a
null (0x0) -- and that's the *only* way getty toggles.  (A break should appear
as a null with a framing error at any baud rate.)  Is the Link Request
*guaranteed* to toggle getty?  Under what combinations of baud rates?  Or does
this simply happen as a lucky accident?

Lucky accidents do happen.  It appears that if the caller is calling at 1200
and the receiver is answering the phone at 2400, if the caller transmits a CR
the receiver will hear two bytes, one of which is 0x80.  If getty is stripping
parity this will come out as 0x0 and woila, getty will toggle.  (Good luck
going back!)

What exactly is the composition of the Link Request?  What will it look like
to a modem not set up for MNP?  More to the point, where can I read up on MNP?
--
Jim Rosenberg                        pitt
Oglevee Computer Systems                 >--!amanue!oglvee!jr

davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (Wm. E. Davidsen Jr) (04/12/89)

  I have had really bad luck autobauding with MNP modems. They seem to
eat the BREAK sent by uucp to force baudrate change. Fortunately other
characters seem to work, but I don't see any incoming data when sending
BREAK.

  I'm using MT224E and Micom (don't remember the model) modems.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@crd.GE.COM)

jac@penguin.UUCP (James Carter) (04/12/89)

In article <475@oglvee.UUCP>, jr@oglvee.UUCP (Jim Rosenberg) writes:
> Lately I've discovered that if a UNIX machine is answering the phone at 1200
> baud and the caller is calling at 2400 in MNP auto-reliable mode, the MNP
> handshake seems to toggle the receiver's getty to 2400 just like that, just
> about every time.  The modems in both cases are similar:  Multitech external
> and Multitech internal.  Both have MNP, but only the caller is in auto-

I'm pretty sure you have an accident here, but only because both of your
modems are by the same manufacturer. I have been using the MT224EH as the
only working modem on this 3B1 for about a year now, and had a devil of a
time getting it set up properly. The modem serial port is strapped for NO-AUTO-
BAUD, but the modem phone port is set to auto-baud. This forces the modem to
buffer the data, and conduct speed changes. I also had to disable the modems
own handshaking so that only the remote devices perform the xon/xoff (the
modems do pass it through, but take no action). The cable had to be correct,
the cpu port had to ignore dtr/rts/cts, the modems had to do the speed changes,
and they had to ignore stop/start, before I finally got everything to work
with lot's of different remotes.

Disclaimer: are you kidding? I own the place!
James A. (JC) Carter
Penguin Business Systems, Inc.

ram@tslanpar.UUCP (ram) (04/12/89)

Let me start by saying I'm running Microcom modems (9624s) which allow me to
set the serial port speed and modem speed to different values.

I end up with the gettys running at 19.2 and let the modems come to an
agreement on what speed they want to run all by themselves.
We have found that MNP class 6 modems running full out in error free (e
protocol) can hit around 15K baud.

Regards,
     Richard Meesters

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) (04/12/89)

When a pair of modems are negotiating MNP modes they're doing this
*AFTER* they've printed 'CONNECT' to their serial ports and they
do this by sending BREAKS at each other in particular ways.

I'd call it a lucky accident that it does something useful to the
getty.  Normally you'd expect the getty to get confused because of
the noise it'd see.
--
<- David Herron; an MMDF guy                              <david@ms.uky.edu>
<- ska: David le casse\*'      {rutgers,uunet}!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET

ram@tslanpar.UUCP (ram) (04/13/89)

In article <11482@s.ms.uky.edu>, david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) writes:
> When a pair of modems are negotiating MNP modes they're doing this
> *AFTER* they've printed 'CONNECT' to their serial ports and they
> do this by sending BREAKS at each other in particular ways.
>
> I'd call it a lucky accident that it does something useful to the
> getty.  Normally you'd expect the getty to get confused because of
> the noise it'd see.

In my experience, the modems negotiate their MNP mode BEFORE they actually
send the CONNECT message to the host.  Using Uutry under Svr3.1 on an ATT3b2
computer, the modem (A Microcom 9624) establishes its connection speed
(indicated by the color and flashing of the HS light), then sends CONNECT to
the host.

If it really was sending breaks after the connection, the getty would lose
its mind and change baud rates several times.

Regards,
	Richard Meesters.		"I disclaim, Really I do!"

jr@oglvee.UUCP (Jim Rosenberg) (04/14/89)

In article <13575@steinmetz.ge.com> davidsen@crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>  I have had really bad luck autobauding with MNP modems. They seem to
>eat the BREAK sent by uucp to force baudrate change. Fortunately other
>characters seem to work, but I don't see any incoming data when sending
>BREAK.

I will not profess to be a complete wizard on this subject, but I think the
trick to getting BREAK to work with MNP is to put enough delays into your
send sequence that the MNP handshake has had a chance to succeed or fail.  I
run a link with cgh.  Paul Homchick (cgh!paul) instructed all his net neighbors
to be sure to put some delays before sending a BREAK when he ran an MNP modem.
I had my system set up so it wouldn't send BREAK til the first timeout, & that
always worked just fine.

What has me puzzled is just how MNP seems to toggle getty *WITHOUT SENDING* the
BREAK.
--
Jim Rosenberg                        pitt
Oglevee Computer Systems                 >--!amanue!oglvee!jr
151 Oglevee Lane                      cgh
Connellsville, PA 15425                                #include <disclaimer.h>

jr@oglvee.UUCP (Jim Rosenberg) (04/14/89)

In article <11482@s.ms.uky.edu> david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) writes:
>When a pair of modems are negotiating MNP modes they're doing this
>*AFTER* they've printed 'CONNECT' to their serial ports
 ^^^^^^^
You sure about this??  When I dial out auto-reliable to an MNP modem configured
for auto-reliable there is a noticeable delay after the speaker shuts off and
then I see the message:

CONNECT RELIABLE

I.e. it sure looks like the handshake happens *before* the CONNECT message is
printed.

>and they
>do this by sending BREAKS at each other in particular ways.
            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I'd like to know the details.  If MNP is working without start & stop bits it
would make sense for the dialing modem to send out its Link Request that way
and see if it gets a valid response.  It would make sense that this has to
happen before it can print out the CONNECT RELIABLE message.  If the
answering modem is *not* in MNP auto-reliable mode it would indeed print
CONNECT immediately -- but of course if you've got a getty connected to it you
should have the modem in quiet mode, so it wouldn't print anything.  (Unless
you want all remote users to log in under the uid CONNECT!  :-))

Help, We're just blundering around in the dark here:  Is there an MNP wizard in
the house?  Who can really tell us in detail how the MNP handshake works??
Chuck Forsberg, you there??
--
Jim Rosenberg                        pitt
Oglevee Computer Systems                 >--!amanue!oglvee!jr
151 Oglevee Lane                      cgh
Connellsville, PA 15425                                #include <disclaimer.h>

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (04/17/89)

In article <477@oglvee.UUCP> jr@.UUCP (Jim Rosenberg) writes:
:Chuck Forsberg, you there??

MNP Auto-Reliable has the calling modem interrogate the called
modem with a character sequence.  Hayes AFT operates the
other way, with the called modem interrogating the calling
modem.

Suffice it to say that not all host systems do the "right"
thing when confronted with an MNP interrogation.  That's why
Professional-YAM's dialing scripts (advpho.t for ZCOMM)
default to non-MNP unless specified.

Example:

exec-pcbbs	if jMODEM,32 speed 19200 %l-414-963-3581/mnp_s; goto exec_pc1
		speed 4800 %l-414-964-5160/mnp_s

If a V.32 modem is connected, call the special V.32 number with
a 19200 bps interface speed and MNP with software handshaking
(useable on Unix and Xenix).  Otherwise use MNP with 4800 bps
interface speed.

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX          ...!tektronix!reed!omen!caf
Author of YMODEM, ZMODEM, Professional-YAM, ZCOMM, and DSZ
  Omen Technology Inc    "The High Reliability Software"
17505-V NW Sauvie IS RD   Portland OR 97231   503-621-3406
TeleGodzilla:621-3746 FAX:621-3735 CIS:70007,2304 Genie:CAF

jb@aablue.UUCP (John B Scalia) (04/18/89)

In article <260@jwt.UUCP> john@jwt.UUCP (John Temples) writes:
>In article <13575@steinmetz.ge.com> davidsen@crdos1 (bill davidsen) writes:
>> I have had really bad luck autobauding with MNP modems.
>
>Don't MNP modems let you lock the interface speed to the computer like the
>Trailblazer does?  Seems like this would eliminate the problem, since getty
>only has to deal with one baud rate.

They should be able to do this. I can only speak for Multitech units, but as
the owner of a 224EH with MNP 5, I know it can be locked at a fixed speed to
communicate with the CPU.

Standard Disclaimer: I have no vested interest in Multitech or any any other
hardware mfgr. for that matter.

--
A A Blueprint Co., Inc. - Akron, Ohio +1 216 794-8803 voice
UUCP:	   {uunet!}aablue!jb	Marriage is a wonderful institution, but who

ram@tslanpar.UUCP (ram) (04/20/89)

In article <565@aablue.UUCP>, jb@aablue.UUCP (John B Scalia) writes:
> In article <260@jwt.UUCP> john@jwt.UUCP (John Temples) writes:
> >Don't MNP modems let you lock the interface speed to the computer like the
> >Trailblazer does?  Seems like this would eliminate the problem, since getty
> >only has to deal with one baud rate.
>
> They should be able to do this. I can only speak for Multitech units, but as
> the owner of a 224EH with MNP 5, I know it can be locked at a fixed speed to
> communicate with the CPU.

Microcom's AX line of modems also allow the serial port to be set to a fixed
speed.  I currently have my 9624s set to run the serial port at a constant
19.2 Kbaud.  And yes, it does eliminate the problem with getty.

Regards,
Richard Meesters

root@nebulus.UUCP (Dennis S. Breckenridge) (04/27/89)

In article <135@tslanpar.UUCP>, ram@tslanpar.UUCP (ram) writes:
> In article <565@aablue.UUCP>, jb@aablue.UUCP (John B Scalia) writes:
> > In article <260@jwt.UUCP> john@jwt.UUCP (John Temples) writes:
> > >Don't MNP modems let you lock the interface speed to the computer like the
> > >Trailblazer does?  Seems like this would eliminate the problem, since getty
> > >only has to deal with one baud rate.
> >
> > They should be able to do this. I can only speak for Multitech units, but as
> > the owner of a 224EH with MNP 5, I know it can be locked at a fixed speed to
> > communicate with the CPU.
>
> Microcom's AX line of modems also allow the serial port to be set to a fixed
> speed.  I currently have my 9624s set to run the serial port at a constant
> 19.2 Kbaud.  And yes, it does eliminate the problem with getty.
>
> Regards,
> Richard Meesters

I have to agree with Richard. The MNP modems that are available from the
vendor world implement MNP class 1-x. From my expirience I have found that
the only modems that do a good job of MNP protocol are MICROCOM modems (hence
the name Microcom Network Protocol). In a series of tests performed with
Microcom, Telebit, AT&T 2224CEO, AT&T2296, Racal Vadic and others I have
found that the Microcom is a clear winner. I get consistant 1500 chrs/sec
on a uucp transfer. The MC9624 will talk to ANY other modem that I connect
to without ANY problems or magic dialer scripts (try a TB+ to a 3B1). The
TB+ locks the baud rate both in and out, the MC9624 locks incomming only
and autobauds on outgoing. My site consists of 4 9624's, 1 AT&T 2224CEO and
1 TB+. I have had many lock ups on the TB+ (power it down and up to clear it)
I used the AT&T modem to talk to AT&T (note the path). All of my downstream
sites use Microcoms. They just work! They are simple to set up (try that
with a TB+). I really don't know why the U.S. usenet sites selected TB+'s
other than price. There is no standard modem yet for usenet here in Canada
and I would like to see Microcom get a fair shake.

"A mind is a terrible thing to       MAIL:   Dennis S. Breckenridge
waste!"                                      206 Poyntz Ave
					     North York, Ontario M2N1J6
					     (416) 733-1696
UUCP: uunet!attcan!nebulus!dennis    ICBM:   79 28 05 W / 43 45 01 N
					     50 megatons should do!

In article <827@nebulus.UUCP> root@nebulus.UUCP (Dennis S. Breckenridge) writes:
>...the Microcom is a clear winner. I get consistant 1500 chrs/sec
>on a uucp transfer...

Is that compressed news, or plain ASCII text?

>TB+ locks the baud rate both in and out, the MC9624 locks incomming only
>and autobauds on outgoing.

Curious, my recollection is that you can do that with a TB+.  (We don't
lock either way on ours, so I'm not sure.)

>... I have had many lock ups on the TB+ (power it down and up to clear it)

Power problems?  Obsolete firmware?  We've had none on our pair.

>... I really don't know why the U.S. usenet sites selected TB+'s
>other than price. There is no standard modem yet for usenet here in Canada
>and I would like to see Microcom get a fair shake.

Sorry, you're too late, Canada has gone TB+ too, although apparently you
hadn't noticed.  Most of the major news-distribution sites in Toronto and
elsewhere use TB+s to move the data.
--
Mars in 1980s:  USSR, 2 tries, |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
2 failures; USA, 0 tries.      | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

root@nebulus.UUCP (Dennis S. Breckenridge) (04/30/89)

In article <1989Apr28.192557.23991@utzoo.uucp>, henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>  Is that compressed news, or plain ASCII text?

That's compressed news and various other uucp transfers (binary and ascii)

> Curious, my recollection is that you can do that with a TB+.  (We don't
> lock either way on ours, so I'm not sure.)

The TB+ locks the baud rate in and out. The only way to get a TB+ to work at
19200 is to lock the baud rate. What does your xferstats say about speed?
(assuming of course you are running HDB)

> Power problems?  Obsolete firmware?  We've had none on our pair.

attcan and I constantly lock up as well as attnts. I know I have to go a reset
all of the damn modems when they do. It appears to be power (roms are 4.0)

> Sorry, you're too late, Canada has gone TB+ too, although apparently you
> hadn't noticed.  Most of the major news-distribution sites in Toronto and
> elsewhere use TB+s to move the data.

Dont count on it.
Price may change that!

rjg@sialis.mn.org (Robert J. Granvin) (05/01/89)

>> Curious, my recollection is that you can do that with a TB+.  (We don't
>> lock either way on ours, so I'm not sure.)
>
>The TB+ locks the baud rate in and out. The only way to get a TB+ to work at
>19200 is to lock the baud rate. What does your xferstats say about speed?
>(assuming of course you are running HDB)

Really?  Hmmm...

I've run Telebit Trailblazer+'s at 19.2K without locking the baud
rate (assuming we're using the same terminology here...)

>> Power problems?  Obsolete firmware?  We've had none on our pair.
>
>attcan and I constantly lock up as well as attnts. I know I have to go a reset
>all of the damn modems when they do. It appears to be power (roms are 4.0)

If it's power, it's not in the modem.  Perhaps  you could argue that
the modem is too sensitive, but I have had one in an area that has
(what I consider) poor power quality, and of the three that are in
separate locations, none have required any human interventions.

>> Sorry, you're too late, Canada has gone TB+ too, although apparently you
>> hadn't noticed.  Most of the major news-distribution sites in Toronto and
>> elsewhere use TB+s to move the data.
>
>Dont count on it.
>Price may change that!

I'm not going to be one of the first to abandon my Trailblazer because
some other modem may be cheaper.  A full 90% of the sites I talk to
have Trailblazers.  Zero have the Microcoms in question.  If a number
of sites that I must talk to only install these modems, then I will
consider obtaining one in addition to my Trailblazer.

Until that time arrives, I'll not be buying one.  I have no need to.
I already own these other modems that have served me well and
flawlessly.  Does anyone really expect others to switch over because
of price?  It would be an endless cycle of money wasting if that were
to happen...

For your needs, purchase and install what you need and the flavor that
serves you best.  I did, and I can see no reasons to change anything
at this point, or in the foreseeable future.

--
________Robert J. Granvin________   INTERNET: rjg@sialis.mn.org
____National Computer Systems____   CONFUSED: rjg%sialis.mn.org@shamash.cdc.com

sl@unifax.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) (05/02/89)

In article <1989Apr28.192557.23991@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <827@nebulus.UUCP> root@nebulus.UUCP (Dennis S. Breckenridge) writes:
>>... I really don't know why the U.S. usenet sites selected TB+'s
>>other than price. There is no standard modem yet for usenet here in Canada
>>and I would like to see Microcom get a fair shake.
>
>Sorry, you're too late, Canada has gone TB+ too, although apparently you
>hadn't noticed.  Most of the major news-distribution sites in Toronto and
>elsewhere use TB+s to move the data.

Same here on the west coast. Both sites we receive news from have Trailblazers.

We feed:
				1200		2400		TB+
	full news feed 		1		6		8
	mail exchange		2				2
	small news feed		5		4		1

The largest block is TB+ for full feed. They account for most of the traffic
and only a small amount of the total connect time. While I like to think
that they got them to increase the amount of time available on my lines, I'm
sure that what the really wanted was to not tie up their lines for hours
every day pulling down news.

At least two of the 2400 full feed sites are just waiting for approval of
their TB purchase.

--
Stuart.Lynne@wimsey.bc.ca uunet!van-bc!sl 604-937-7532(voice) 604-939-4768(fax)