[comp.dcom.modems] Everex Modem Setting

sklam@lamis.UUCP (Steve Lam) (05/11/89)

I purchase a smart modem that make me very dump.  HELP!

Does anyone out there use Everex external 2400 modem with MNP level 3 ?
I use this breast on SCO 2.3.1.  When I config uucico for both dial in/out
port, I have difficulty to login with normal modem (without MNP) only when
I initiate the phone call.  If the other side call in, there is no problem.

I think some special register has to be set to make it work with normal modem.
Would some kind soul drop me a pointer.

lar@usl-pc.usl.edu (Robert Lane A.) (05/14/89)

In article <1161@lamis.UUCP> sklam@lamis.UUCP (Steve Lam) writes:
>I purchase a smart modem that make me very dump.  HELP!
>
>Does anyone out there use Everex external 2400 modem with MNP level 3 ?
>I use this breast on SCO 2.3.1.  When I config uucico for both dial in/out
>port, I have difficulty to login with normal modem (without MNP) only when
>I initiate the phone call.  If the other side call in, there is no problem.
>
>I think some special register has to be set to make it work with normal modem.
>Would some kind soul drop me a pointer.

I tried to Email a reply, but it bounced.

I have one of these beasts myself, and I believe what you
need to do is set either Auto-Reliable or Normal mode. Auto-Reliable
is set by "AT\N3" and tells the modem to query the remote modem
immediately after making a connection to find out if it can do MNP.
Then it sets itself up appropriately for the other modem. Normal
mode (AT\N0) disables MNP completely so that the Evercom looks
like any other modem. Either of these, at least in theory,
should allow the Evercom to communicate with any other 2400bps or
slower modem. You can find a description of the different modes
starting on page I-5 of the MNP supplement that came with the modem.

BTW, if you use Auto-Reliable mode, remember that it can take up to
four seconds or 200 characters, whichever comes first, to make the
determination about whether or not to use MNP.  It is only after this
determination is made that it returns CONNECT.  See page 2-3 of same
manual.

Disclaimer: I've never used this modem on a Unix/Xenix system, so
I have no information on the UUCP side of things. I use it on my
Amiga 2000 at home for dial out only.

Lane

Lane Robert      lar@usl.usl.edu     ...!{killer, uunet!dalsqnt}!usl!lar
University of Southwestern Louisiana Computing Center      Lafayette, LA