[comp.dcom.modems] BBS suggestions

everett@iisat.UUCP (Everett Coldwell) (05/09/89)

I am looking for suggestions on which bulletin board system to use for an
international non-profit organization.  The desirable features are:

  1) Two 2400 baud lines working simutanuously on an IBM XT compatible
  2) Operating System is MS-Dos (not unix), Desqview a possibility.
  3) Source code needed - I could convert C to MS-DOS environment
  4) Multiple message areas, ability to send same message to more
     than one user, mailing lists.
  5) File transfer ability.
  6) Networking of messages and files to remote BBS.
  7) User and Sysop fast & friendly.
  8) Reliable.
  9) Reasonable price.

--
Everett Coldwell via International Information Service (IIS), Halifax, Canada
UUCP:        {uunet,utai,watmath}!dalcs!iisat!everett

cy@pnet51.cts.com (Cyril Bauer) (05/10/89)

I myself don't care for the system but you may want to look into a Citadel
BBS. There is a new ver. out that has all the feachers that you asked about
and is in C. I believe that the price is very reasonable too. I don't care for
the format and there is no way to look at a particular message very easy, they
are not numbered.

UUCP: {amdahl!bungia, uunet!rosevax, chinet, killer}!orbit!pnet51!cy
ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!cy@nosc.mil
INET: cy@pnet51.cts.com

tharkun@cup.portal.com (Sean D Ackley) (05/11/89)

I would suggest using PCBoard if you do NOT care about having the source
code.  It has all the features you want plus more.  You would need the
version /E3 which gives you up to 3 lines, there is also /E9 and /EU (which
gives you unlimited lines).

If you want the source code, the closest program to what you want would be
RBBS.  RBBS looks and feels like PCBoard, you can set it up almost the same
way, and it comes out with the source code every time it is re-written.

Get a BBS listing for the closest PCBoard or RBBS next to you.  Or, give me
some e-mail, and I will get the list for you.

tharkun (Sean Ackley)

tharkun@cup.portal.com --- Commercial Usenet
72537,1236 --- CompuServe
PSM027863S --- Telenet, PcPursuit
MPJV13A --- Prodigy
BFU662 --- Source
1:161/450 --- FidoNet

bob@consult.UUCP (Bob Willey) (05/14/89)

In article <470@iisat.UUCP> everett@iisat.UUCP (Everett Coldwell) writes:
>I am looking for suggestions on which bulletin board system to use for an
>international non-profit organization.  The desirable features are:

We use PCBoard 14.0/E3 on an AT clone very succesfully.  And the software
is great, easy to use, and VERY flexible.  No source available, but I
don't think you will need it.  39 conferences possible, many file
areas, and much security control.
We also echo mail with many BBS's across the country (Smartnet) and
have no problem with that either.
Give our board a call and take a gander.  We also have a Unix/Xenix
conference available with a msg base dedicted to it.
Hope this helps.      uunet!consult!bob
CCS Technical Support BBS  (301) 476-5098  24hrs, 1200/2400/V9600

nazgul@apollo.COM (Kee Hinckley) (05/16/89)

In article <5@consult.UUCP> bob@.UUCP (Bob Willey) writes:
>In article <470@iisat.UUCP> everett@iisat.UUCP (Everett Coldwell) writes:
>>I am looking for suggestions on which bulletin board system to use for an
>>international non-profit organization.  The desirable features are:

If you toss the conception that you need to by a PC-compatible to
run a decent board you can do *very* well with the ProLine system.
Full conferencing, C shell, sysop programmable, networked to other
ProLine systems, gatewayed into UUCP.  Call 617/641-3722 for more
info, or send mail to obsolete!pro-angmar!nazgul@bloom-beacon.mit.edu