[comp.dcom.modems] Which is the best 9600 baud modem to buy?

paulg@iisat.UUCP (Paul Gauthier) (05/12/89)

   I have an XT clone here which I run a BBS on. I'm interested in
upgrading to a 9600 baud modem. The system is hooked into Usenet so
it will be used both for accepting callers and doing networking. I'm
looking for a low cost, high quality, versatile modem that is
compatible with enough other 9600 baud modems that users won't
have trouble calling in to it.

   Any suggestions and information you could provde would be appreciated.

--
= Paul Gauthier: {uunet, utai, watmath}!dalcs!iisat!brains!paulg          =
= Send all binary mail to:                ...!iisat!brains!binaries       =

leonard@bucket.UUCP (Leonard Erickson) (05/15/89)

In article <486@iisat.UUCP> paulg@iisat.UUCP (Paul Gauthier) writes:
<   I have an XT clone here which I run a BBS on. I'm interested in
<upgrading to a 9600 baud modem. The system is hooked into Usenet so
<it will be used both for accepting callers and doing networking. I'm
<looking for a low cost, high quality, versatile modem that is
<compatible with enough other 9600 baud modems that users won't
<have trouble calling in to it.

You may have a problem. Most FidoNet systems use USR HSTs. Most
usenet sites use Telebit Trailblazers. And they are *not*
compatible...

You'll have to decide which world you want to be compatible with.
--
Leonard Erickson		...!tektronix!reed!percival!bucket!leonard
CIS: [70465,203]

cy@pnet51.cts.com (Cyril Bauer) (05/16/89)

I'll get shot for this posibly but from what I have heard it's a fairly good
deal for the 9600. That is the robotics 9600 hst. You will hear several others
 for and those thasay others. Tr them for yourself and see what.
/s

UUCP: {amdahl!bungia, uunet!rosevax, chinet, killer}!orbit!pnet51!cy
ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!cy@nosc.mil
INET: cy@pnet51.cts.com

In article <1398@bucket.UUCP> leonard@bucket.UUCP (Leonard Erickson) writes:
> In article <486@iisat.UUCP> paulg@iisat.UUCP (Paul Gauthier) writes:
> <   I have an XT clone here which I run a BBS on. I'm interested in
> <upgrading to a 9600 baud modem...
>
> You may have a problem. Most FidoNet systems use USR HSTs. Most
> usenet sites use Telebit Trailblazers. And they are *not*
> compatible...

Except at traditional baud rates where they are compatible.  So you need
only select who you are most intersted in talking to a high speed...