[comp.dcom.modems] Racal 2400PA MNP Problems

pechter@scr1.UUCP (Bill Pechter) (05/23/89)

A few weeks back I picked up a Racal Vadic 2400PA-MNP modem.  After a
few messages here, I decided to order the upgrade for Hayes compatibility.
A rom chip swap and one wire-add later I had Hayes compatibility but
I may have a problem with the upgrade.

<This may be a bit long -- hit N here to quit >

Symptom 1 -  Modem now drops to 1200 when calling any US Robotics MNP
compatible modem.   Calls to all local bbs's running MNP (always USR
around here) drop back to 1200 baud with MNP.  Calls to Racal's test
modems in California show no problems at all.  Racal can call my local
BBS without problems.

Symptom 1 revisited - With the Rom chip replaced with the old one all is ok.
MNP at 2400 works fine. Noise here is not a problem -- these are very local
calls.

Any suggestions.  The rom passes checksum test ok.  Any suggestions?
I'm about to bitch and ask for another rom -- but I'd like to know if anyone
has similar problems.  This modem is vintage Nov 1985 or 86.  I'd
like to have this resolved -- but I can't figure this one out.
--
Bill Pechter -- Home - 103 Governors Road, Lakewood, NJ 08701 (201)370-0709
Work -- Concurrent Computer Corp., 2 Crescent Pl, MS 172, Oceanport,NJ 07757

pechter@scr1.UUCP (Bill Pechter) (05/25/89)

In article <337@scr1.UUCP> pechter@scr1.UUCP (Bill Pechter) writes:
>A few weeks back I picked up a Racal Vadic 2400PA-MNP modem.  After a
>few messages here, I decided to order the upgrade for Hayes compatibility.
>A rom chip swap and one wire-add later I had Hayes compatibility but
>I may have a problem with the upgrade.

Looks like the problem is a rom incompatibility between the versions of the
Racal 2400-PA.  The version -20 rom worked fine in a duplicate machine at
Racal's Field Service HQ.  I sent them back the -35 version and requested
the -20.  I also sent them all the board/chip revs so they can document this
one and get out a tech tip.

So, I will fully test the thing when the new EPROM shows up.