[comp.dcom.modems] call waiting

jeff_bray@brains.UUCP (Jeff Bray) (05/16/89)

re: call waiting:
  Whoever was tlking about the call waiting thing, I read a Compute! article
that said that in some phone systems you can dial "*70" then your number you
are dialing at it would disable call waiting for one call only. I don't know
if it will work everywhere or not. Somebody should call the operator and
ask... They should have a modem-operator, eh? JB
--
   -===------===-    From Jeff Bray at Cerebral Cortex BBS System
  -==-==----==-==-   (902)462-7245 3/1200 8N1 24h/7d

stel@tank.uchicago.edu (stelios valavanis) (05/18/89)

In article <4541@brains.UUCP> jeff_bray%brains@iisat.UUCP writes:
>re: call waiting:
>  Whoever was tlking about the call waiting thing, I read a Compute! article
>that said that in some phone systems you can dial "*70" then your number you
>are dialing at it would disable call waiting for one call only. I don't know
>if it will work everywhere or not. Somebody should call the operator and
>ask... They should have a modem-operator, eh? JB
>--
>   -===------===-    From Jeff Bray at Cerebral Cortex BBS System

The '*70' disable should work on any Bell touch-tone system (and many others).
You can do this before calling (voice) long distance to prevent interruptions.
With a modem you should include a comma to pause before dialing the rest of
the number i.e. '*70,xxx-xxxx'.  The comma pauses (hayes compatible command)
long enough to get the dial tone back.

stel

--
Bitnet:	stel%tank.uchicago.edu@uchimvs1.bitnet
Internet: 		stel@tank.uchicago.edu

gordon@netcom.UUCP (Brian Gordon) (05/18/89)

In article <3285@tank.uchicago.edu> stel@tank.uchicago.edu (stelios  valavanis) writes:
>In article <4541@brains.UUCP> jeff_bray%brains@iisat.UUCP writes:
>>re: call waiting:
>>that said that in some phone systems you can dial "*70" then your number you
>>if it will work everywhere or not. Somebody should call the operator and
>The '*70' disable should work on any Bell touch-tone system (and many others).
>You can do this before calling (voice) long distance to prevent interruptions.

Well, maybe it SHOULD work all over, but it doesn't. My exchange (408/559-xxxx)
does not support it yet, and they don't know how long it will be until the
"upgrade".  And this is an ESS exchenge less that 6 years old!

chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) (05/18/89)

7.5 months before the topic came around again (see `date' below).
Not too bad for Usenet :-)

From: chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek)
Newsgroups: comp.dcom.modems
Subject: Re: Call waiting and modem!!
Date: 4 Oct 88 19:21:13 GMT

Call waiting is a feature offered by your local telephone company.  As
such, the methods by which it is enabled and disabled are local to your
telephone company.  Therefore, asking the entire world (via USENET) how
to disable call waiting is counterproductive: the answers you get from
Australia are not likely to apply to the French telephone system, and
the way it is done in Korea is probably different than the way it is
done by New York Telephone.  Instead, you should ask your local
telephone company.  They provide the service; of all people, they ought
to know how it works.

That said, many U.S. telcos seem to use the code `*70' (or, from dial
phones, 1170) to disable call waiting.  If this does not work for you,
ask your local telco office.  If all else fails, you can always get
another phone number.

syap@cc.rochester.edu (James Fitzwilliam) (05/21/89)

Oh no, not again... (:

1) Many telcos offering call waiting to their customers on digital switches
   and who have some non-brain-dead programmers for their system offer a
   way to temporarily disable the feature.

2) The code is often 1170 or *70, but this is up to the programmer and your
   telco.  Mine is 80#.  In other words, you have to ask.

3) More often than not, you must REQUEST the feature when you ask for CW.
   Often it costs more, too.  I think I pay $0.32/mo extra for disable.

4) Even if you DO request disable CW, many of the operators and Customer
   Service types have never heard of such a thing, and will flatly deny
   that it exists.  You may have to talk to a technician or supervisor.

5) If your telco doesn't offer the feature, get call forwarding as well,
   and forward your line to some innocuous number so it doesn't ring during
   your session.  (My telco offers three kinds of forwarding: Forward on
   busy [ideal for modems], forward on no answer, and user-switchable.)

6) If all else fails, get a second line.  Mine costs $18/mo and is worth
   every cent.

syap@vera.cc.rochester.edu
...rochester!vera!syap
GEnie: FITZWILLIAM

nao@cuatro.bellcore.com (Neil Ostroff) (05/27/89)

There's more to turning off call waiting than dialing *70. For
instance, what if you don't have touch-tone?  Besides the
technical reasons (your local switch must support the "advanced"
call waiting service), there are business decisions made by a
phone company that determines if they will install and tariff the
service.  I would be very surprised if it was simply available -
most likely someone somewhere is paying for this service.

You can check for yourself.  If it doesn't work, call your local
telephone company business office and ask them if and when the
service will be available.  If enough people ask for the service,
then there's an excellent chance the service will be made
available.

Neil Ostroff
Bell Communications Research  |  UUCP:  bcr!maestro!nao
100 Schultz Dr.  NVC-5J443    |  ARPA:  nao@maestro.bellcore.com
Red Bank, NJ  07701           |  PHONE: (201) 758-5741