[comp.dcom.modems] Telebit Version 5 ROMs

dlr@daver.UU.NET (Dave Rand) (05/23/89)

Has anyone had experience with the new version 5 roms from
Telebit? I am told that they correct the DCD/DTR problem.
This problem occurs when DTR transitions at or around the
time of DCD going away - and when it happens, the modem
appears to "lock up". A power off/on cycle fixes it, and sometimes
you can bring it back by issuing a remote reset (AT%Z, from
another Telebit).

Thanks for your input.

--
Dave Rand
{pyramid|hoptoad|sun|vsi1}!daver!dlr	Internet: dlr@daver.uu.net

loverso@Xylogics.COM (John Robert LoVerso) (05/24/89)

In article <17553@daver.UUCP> dlr@daver.UU.NET (Dave Rand) writes:
> Has anyone had experience with the new version 5 roms from Telebit?
> I am told that they correct the DCD/DTR problem.

When I reported the DCD/DTR problem, I was told that the v5 roms would
fix the problem, but that they weren't available yet (this was about
2-3 weeks ago).  However, the person at Telebit support told me that
lowering the value of S47 (DSR Delay Time) from 4 to 3 or even 2 should
help with the problem.  It did - I am using 3 (or 150 milliseconds).

--
John Robert LoVerso			Xylogics, Inc.  617/272-8140
loverso@Xylogics.COM			Annex Terminal Server Development Group

dlr@daver.UU.NET (Dave Rand) (06/05/89)

Well, I did order and install the Version 5 ROMs for the Telebit,
against better advice that I received. It does correct a number
of (minor) annoyances that have been around. DCD can now
be configured to "bounce" (go !true, wait a delay period, then
go true), as well as DSR. This really helps on stupid device
drivers that won't open the port until DCD shows up.

Another thing seems to be fixed. When talking to a low
speed, non-MNP modem, the Version 4 ROMs would drop the connection
sometimes. I was told that this was related to locking the
interface speed (which I do). Version 5 seems to have
cleared this problem up.

There are a few other new features:
	o	Conventional or Enhanced command mode
	o	Support of MNP 4 and 5
	o	Improved (!!) autobaud function
	o	Ability to disable front panel switchs (T-2000 only)
	o	Inactivity timer

I paid $135 for the new ROMs (three of them - they also replace
some of the code for the DSP).

I would like to hear from other people running the Version 5
ROMs...