[comp.dcom.modems] Where is modem progress?

gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu (05/24/89)

1.5 years ago cheapo external 2400-baud modems were selling for
$180-$220.  Now the cheapest 2400-baud modems are selling for about
$130.

My question is, when will faster modems replace the 2400-baud
standard?  It's been a couple of YEARS and the progress does not seem
great.  I expected that by now, 4800 baud modems would be standard.
Where are these modems?  How much do they cost?  Why don't they cost
~$250 by now?

Don Gillies, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Illinois
1304 W. Springfield, Urbana, Ill 61801
ARPA: gillies@cs.uiuc.edu   UUCP: {uunet,harvard}!uiucdcs!gillies

In article <78700004@p.cs.uiuc.edu> gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

> 1.5 years ago cheapo external 2400-baud modems were selling for
> $180-$220.  Now the cheapest 2400-baud modems are selling for about
> $130.
>
> My question is, when will faster modems replace the 2400-baud
> standard?  It's been a couple of YEARS and the progress does not seem
> great.  I expected that by now, 4800 baud modems would be standard.
> Where are these modems?  How much do they cost?  Why don't they cost
> ~$250 by now?

Huh?  Which planet are you on?  There's lots of activity in the 9600+
range with volume prices down in the 500-800 dollar price range.  It
takes at least a couple of years for "leading edge" technology to become
made-in-taiwan, almost free technology.  You may have not "noticed" how
long "expensive" 2400 baud modems were avilable before the first
"consumer" (Hayes/USR, etc) modems hit the market and started the first
price decrease to the ~500 dollar range.

Implementations are also not particularly cheap at this point.  A lot
of these modems are using DSP chips of one sort or another - all of the
V.32 modems are currently using the same Rockwell DSP chipset, which
being single sourced, isn't immediately subject to price competition.
Also included are random amounts of memory, unneeded in the economy
1200/2400 buad designs.

Hang on for another year or two and maybe you'll see $89.95 9600 baud
modems, but I wouldn't hold your breath...

john@zygot.UUCP (John Higdon) (05/25/89)

In article <78700004@p.cs.uiuc.edu>, gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
> My question is, when will faster modems replace the 2400-baud
> standard?  It's been a couple of YEARS and the progress does not seem
> great.  I expected that by now, 4800 baud modems would be standard.

With 9600+ bps technology now readily available, it would seem unlikely
that anyone would be putting much effort into developing 4800 bps
standards. The gap between 2400 and 9600+ bps is very wide and the
differences in technology is very great, but I would expect to see the
price of 9600+ units come down rather than "cheap" modems get faster.
      john@zygot.uucp       | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

dave@westmark.UUCP (Dave Levenson) (05/25/89)

In article <78700004@p.cs.uiuc.edu>, gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

> 1.5 years ago cheapo external 2400-baud modems were selling for
> $180-$220.  Now the cheapest 2400-baud modems are selling for about
> $130.

> My question is, when will faster modems replace the 2400-baud
> standard?  It's been a couple of YEARS and the progress does not seem
> great.  I expected that by now, 4800 baud modems would be standard.
> Where are these modems?  How much do they cost?  Why don't they cost
> ~$250 by now?

I would suggest that you read this newsgroup!  Look at the
discussion surrounding the several 9600 and 19,200 and faster modems
currently on the market.  Why anyone would bother with 4800 at this
point is beyond me.

Predicting the future is always risky, but at the risk of having to
eat a few words in a year or two, I will predict that two current
needs will be met in the near future:  A standard for high-speed
modems will be adopted, and they'll get less expensive.

Today, a 9600 or faster modem costs well over $1,000 (yes, I know
they are sometimes discounted to around $600 - $800).  The bigger
problem with buying one is that there are several incompatible
families of them.  I would prefer to sit on the sidelines and talk
2400 bps until there is a high-speed standard as universal as the
current crop of 1200 and 2400 speed units.  I would also expect the
prices to come down as the market expands.  When that happens, your
2400 modem will probably be sold used at computer flea markets for
$20 or so -- as 300-speed units are today.

Progress?  It's usually not visible until it's already happened.

--
Dave Levenson
{uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave

elg@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Eric Green) (05/26/89)

in article <78700004@p.cs.uiuc.edu>, gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu says:
> 1.5 years ago cheapo external 2400-baud modems were selling for
> $180-$220.  Now the cheapest 2400-baud modems are selling for about
> $130.
>
> My question is, when will faster modems replace the 2400-baud
> standard?  It's been a couple of YEARS and the progress does not seem

In 1983, when I first got into telecommunications, a Hayes 1200
Smartmodem costed over $500, and the best deal around for a 1200 baud
modem was around $350. The standard, of course, was still 300 baud. I
bought my first 300 baud modem for $120. I have a boxfull of'em in the
closet... I occasionally pull one out to use as a junction box when I
want to add a new section to my phone cordage.

In 1985, 1200 baud modems dipped below $200 for the first time, and
2400 baud modems got down to around $400-$500. People still had a hard
time believing that it was possible to go 2400 baud over the phone
lines, and were often saying, "Hmph, it already goes fast enough, why
do I want to upgrade to a more expensive modem?"

2400 baud modems got cheap real quick. The Taiwan clone manufacturers
got ahold of them, apparently, and did their usual. But 9600 isn't so
easy. The problem is the #$%#$% analog-based phone system we have here
in the U.S., which has extremely limited bandwidth. As a result, your
beautiful digital data is analogized, spit onto the phone line where
it is then re-digitized and spit over fiber optics at 64kbaud or so,
then re-analogized at the other end into a nice slow analog signal. I
believe the signal bandwidth is 7khz. A telephone expert could be more
exact. In any event, the whole process is a hack and a kludge, and as
you press the limits, it naturally becomes more and more difficult to
make progress. It's much like the top end microprocessors... even now,
<n> years later, you can't get 80286 processors for the $5 apiece that
you can get 8086 processors.

--
    Eric Lee Green              P.O. Box 92191, Lafayette, LA 70509
     ..!{ames,decwrl,mit-eddie,osu-cis}!killer!elg     (318)989-9849

mhyman@hsfmsh.UUCP (Marco S. Hyman) (05/26/89)

In article <6977@cbmvax.UUCP> grr@cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:
> Implementations are also not particularly cheap at this point.  A lot
> of these modems are using DSP chips of one sort or another - all of the
> V.32 modems are currently using the same Rockwell DSP chipset, which
> being single sourced, isn't immediately subject to price competition.

Not true.  Several of the V.32 modems out there pre-date the Rockwell V.32
chipset. Check out the Codec, NEC, UDS, and Hayes V.32 entries for example.

--marc
--
//Marco S. Hyman
//UUCP:   ...!sun!sfsun!hsfmsh!mhyman

ron@ron.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (05/27/89)

Actually, Anderson Jacobson made a full duplex 4800 baud
modem over three years ago.  However, technology jumps
exponentially frequently.  We didn't stop at 600 on the
way to 1200 baud modems either.

-Ron

snoopy@sopwith.UUCP (Snoopy) (05/27/89)

In article <8196@killer.DALLAS.TX.US> elg@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Eric Green) writes:

| In 1983, when I first got into telecommunications, a Hayes 1200
| Smartmodem costed over $500, and the best deal around for a 1200 baud
| modem was around $350. The standard, of course, was still 300 baud.

In '83 stupid 1200 baud modems were common inside Bell Labs.  (pick up
data phone, dial computer, push button on modem/cord, hang up phone)
I have no idea what they paid for them.  I found it a bit annoying to
be limited to 1200 baud talking to a machine in the same building.  (In
their defense, it was a convienant way to provide switching.)

| As a result, your
| beautiful digital data is analogized, spit onto the phone line where
| it is then re-digitized and spit over fiber optics at 64kbaud or so,
| then re-analogized at the other end into a nice slow analog signal. I
| believe the signal bandwidth is 7khz. A telephone expert could be more
| exact.

In the Bell/AT&T worlds, phone lines are sampled at 8 kHz.  Samples are
8 bits.  The bandwidth is thus guaranteed to be less than 4kHz.  I recall
numbers of something like 3400, I suspect this varies a lot with the age
of equipment and so on.  Don't expect to see very high order filters
to squeak out every last Hz like you do on CD players, lots of phone
equipment is old.

Like it or not, the phone system was not designed for high fidelity stereo
or computer data transmission.  It was designed for voice communication,
period.  Unfortunately it doesn't always accomplish even that.  :-(

Sort of amusing remembering my EE communications prof stating that 1200 baud
was the absolute maximum one could get over a phone line.  *grin*
    _____
   /_____\    Snoopy	"My dot-matrix does Postscript."
  /_______\
    |___|     						qiclab!sopwith!snoopy
    |___|     sun!nosun!illian!sopwith!snoopy		parsely!sopwith!snoopy

In article <753@hsfmsh.UUCP> sfsun!hsfmsh!mhyman@sun.com (Marco S. Hyman) writes:
> In article <6977@cbmvax.UUCP> grr@cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:
> > Implementations are also not particularly cheap at this point.  A lot
> > of these modems are using DSP chips of one sort or another - all of the
> > V.32 modems are currently using the same Rockwell DSP chipset, which
> > being single sourced, isn't immediately subject to price competition.
>
> Not true.  Several of the V.32 modems out there pre-date the Rockwell V.32
> chipset. Check out the Codec, NEC, UDS, and Hayes V.32 entries for example.

All right!  I confess to overgeneralization and ignorance of tru-facts.

I'll modify my statment to say the the current "cook-book" solutions to
building V.32 modems are limited to (a) using the Rockwell V.32 chipset
or (b) using a "module" from UDS.  The real price cuts don't start until
somebody can avoid paying the piper on proprietary technology, and is
willing to sell products without feeling a compulsion to jack up the
margin to cover R&D or other business issues.

In article <182@sopwith.UUCP> snoopy@sopwith.UUCP (Snoopy) writes:
>Sort of amusing remembering my EE communications prof stating that 1200 baud
>was the absolute maximum one could get over a phone line.  *grin*

All the more so when you consider that Telebit is rumored to be able to do
28 kbps with a souped-up internal version of PEP.  Not bad for lines that
are sampled at 8 kHz at (as far as the modem is concerned) random times!
--
Van Allen, adj: pertaining to  |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
deadly hazards to spaceflight. | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

pmb@swituc.UUCP (Pat Berry) (05/28/89)

In article <7002@cbmvax.UUCP>, grr@cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:
> The real price cuts don't start until
> somebody can avoid paying the piper on proprietary technology, and is
> willing to sell products without feeling a compulsion to jack up the
> margin to cover R&D or other business issues.

I'm afraid I must take exception to this statement.  Companies do not produce
products for their health.  All companies have the right to expect the recovery
of costs (including 'R&D or other business issues') plus a decent return on
their investment (aka profit).  In fact, feduciary laws require the CEO to do
his best to make the company profitable!

In article <132@swituc.UUCP> pmb@swituc.UUCP (Pat Berry) writes:
>In article <7002@cbmvax.UUCP>, grr@cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:
>> The real price cuts don't start until
>> somebody can avoid paying the piper on proprietary technology, and is
>> willing to sell products without feeling a compulsion to jack up the
>> margin to cover R&D or other business issues.

>I'm afraid I must take exception to this statement.  Companies do not produce
>products for their health.  All companies have the right to expect the recovery
>of costs (including 'R&D or other business issues') plus a decent return on
>their investment (aka profit).  In fact, feduciary laws require the CEO to do
>his best to make the company profitable!

My main point was how things become cheap, not why they are often initially
expensive.  Companies may do as they wish as long as they have some corner
on the market.  The prices may then decrease a few increments as the result
of peer competition, but the reduction to bargain-basement prices doesn't
really begin until other competitors come along - either with different
technology or operating on a different basis (zero R&D, off-shore manufacture,
low overhead sales channels, etc.)

jeff@b11.ingr.com (Jeff Kilpatrick) (06/02/89)

In article <1400@westmark.UUCP>, dave@westmark.UUCP (Dave Levenson) writes:

> needs will be met in the near future:  A standard for high-speed
> modems will be adopted, and they'll get less expensive.
>
> problem with buying one is that there are several incompatible
> families of them.  I would prefer to sit on the sidelines and talk
> 2400 bps until there is a high-speed standard as universal as the
			    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  V.32 is the standard for high speed dial up.  Prices have dropped
quite a bit in the last couple years.  Most V.32 modems are compatible
(I think Hayes does a half duplex V.32) We will possibly be seeing higher
data rates with V.42 (standard which includes data compression).

----------------------------------------------------|-------------------------
Jeff Kilpatrick                                     | American by birth...
Communications Hardware Test and Evaluation         | Southern by the

----------------------------------------------------|-------------------------

mhyman@hsfmsh.UUCP (Marco S. Hyman) (06/02/89)

In article <5173@b11.ingr.com> jeff@b11.ingr.com (Jeff Kilpatrick) writes:
> Most V.32 modems are compatible
> (I think Hayes does a half duplex V.32)
Hayes has two 9600 bps modems.  The V-Series Smartmodem 9600 is a proprietary
half-duplex modem with quick turnaround, compression, etc.  The Smartmodem
9600 (not V-Series) is a Full-duplex full compliance V.32 modem.

--marc (I work for Hayes but can not speak for them)
--

gpwrdcs@gp.govt.nz (Don Stokes, Govt Print, Wellington) (06/05/89)

In article <182@sopwith.UUCP>, snoopy@sopwith.UUCP (Snoopy) writes:
> Sort of amusing remembering my EE communications prof stating that 1200 baud
> was the absolute maximum one could get over a phone line.  *grin*

Just being picky, but my V22bis 2400 *bps* modem runs at 600 *baud*, ie
four bits per baud. Your EE communications prof wasn't that far wrong.
I'm not sure what the modulation is on faster modems, but I suspect that
the baudrate is <= 1200.

Anyone know what the modulations are on V32/HST/TB+PEP?

Don Stokes, Systems Programmer    /  /   Domain:                  don@gp.govt.nz
Government Printing Office,      /GP/   PSImail:          PSI%0530147000028::DON
Wellington, New Zealand         /  /   UUCP:  ...!munnari!vuwcomp!windy!gpwd!don
A shortcut is the longest distance between two points.

paul@csnz.co.nz (Paul Gillingwater) (06/06/89)

+
+Just being picky, but my V22bis 2400 *bps* modem runs at 600 *baud*, ie
+four bits per baud. Your EE communications prof wasn't that far wrong.
+I'm not sure what the modulation is on faster modems, but I suspect that
+the baudrate is <= 1200.
+
+Anyone know what the modulations are on V32/HST/TB+PEP?
+
+Don Stokes, Systems Programmer    /  /   Domain:               don@gp.govt.nz

My PEP uses up to 512 carriers equally spaced over the 4 kHz assumed
bandwidth.  Each individual carrier might use 2-bit QPSK, 4-bit QAM
or 6-bit QAM depending upon line quality.

--
Paul Gillingwater, Computer Sciences of New Zealand Limited
Bang: ..!uunet!dsiramd!csnz!paul    Domain: paul@csnz.co.nz

csg@pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst) (06/12/89)

In article <581@gp.govt.nz> gpwrdcs@gp.govt.nz (Don Stokes, Govt Print, Wellington) writes:
>I'm not sure what the modulation is on faster modems, but I suspect that the
>baudrate is <= 1200. Anyone know what the modulations are on V32/HST/TB+PEP?

V.32 is 2400 baud, 4 bits per baud. (Actually, 5 bits per baud, including the
trellis coding bit. But 4 *user* bits per baud.)

<csg>

mcp@ziebmef.uucp (Marc Plumb) (06/13/89)

In article <581@gp.govt.nz> gpwrdcs@gp.govt.nz (Don Stokes, Govt Print, Wellington) writes:
>Anyone know what the modulations are on V32/HST/TB+PEP?

PEP works at something like 7 baud; it also has an interactive mode that
gets lower throughput but lower latency at about 80 baud.  7 baud, but
up to 6 bits/baud on 511 channels!

HST is the same as V.32; going to half-duplex lets you avoid all the
nasty echo-cancellation stuff.
--
	-Colin Plumb