[comp.dcom.modems] public domain fax software

goodloe@b11.ingr.com (Tony Goodloe) (05/13/89)

We are looking for some source code that will take an ASCII file and
generate the data ready to send over a modem to remote fax machine. If
you can, please post the source and let us know where. If anyone has any
leads, but no source, let us know. Also, if someone has access to
alt.fax, send this request on through.

thanks
tony goodloe
...!uucp!ingr!b11!goodloe

goodloe@b11.ingr.com (Tony Goodloe) (06/08/89)

About a month back I made a request for some public domain fax software
and got 30 or so mail responses, most of which were the "let me know
when you find something" and the remainder were "we have a commercial
product." I will assume that there is no public domain software to do
this. We dug in to the fax market a litte more, and found more about the
hardware. Most people are using a chip set from Rockwell that changes
the modulation technique as the bit rate falls back. If you were certain
that the bit rate would never fall back, you could possibly get away
with using vendor x's V.32 modem, but no chance in a bit-rate agile
environment. So, some entrepeneur needs to design a bit-rate agile fax
modem in a box with an RS-232 interface and some generic c code. Hmmmm,
sounds interesting :) Thanks to all who took time to send mail, sorry  I
couldn't come back with some real news though.

tony goodloe

In article <5218@b11.ingr.com> goodloe@b11.ingr.com (Tony Goodloe) writes:
>About a month back I made a request for some public domain fax software
>and got 30 or so mail responses, most of which were the "let me know
>when you find something" and the remainder were "we have a commercial
>product." I will assume that there is no public domain software to do
>this.

Well I have seen a public domain version of some Fax software for Amiga. It
didn't come with any documentation and it was only a binary file. So I couldn't
figure out what to do with it. Or what hardware you needed. So it probably
doesn't help you much, eh?

But if anyone wants it, I found it on Deep Thought (I think)
BBS at 919-471-6436. This was about 3 months ago, and I have since deleted the
software. But it should still be on Deep Thought BBS (they have about 80 megs
of downloads). I *think* the name was Amifax.arc

Good Luck.

--
John Sparks   |  {rutgers|uunet}!ukma!corpane!sparks | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 1200bps
You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.