[comp.dcom.modems] Zmodem source code?

pj@pnet51.cts.com (Paul Jacoby) (06/14/89)

Does anyone know of a source of the source code for the Zmodem protocol from
Chuck Forsberg?  I understand there are both 'public domain' and proprietary
versions of the protocol, and am attempting to secure the public domain
source.  I have a spec sheet for Zmodem dated April 1987, but have not been
able to find anything much more recent.
  Could some kind soul point me in the proper direction?  Thanks for any help!
.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------.
| UUCP: {rosevax, crash, orator}!orbit!pnet51!pj |  Working with idiots keeps |
| ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!pj@nosc.mil           |  my life interesting...    |
| INET: pj@pnet51.cts.com                        |                            |

ked@garnet.berkeley.edu (Earl H. Kinmonth) (06/15/89)

In article <868@orbit.UUCP> pj@pnet51.cts.com (Paul Jacoby) writes:
>Does anyone know of a source of the source code for the Zmodem protocol from
>Chuck Forsberg?  I understand there are both 'public domain' and proprietary
>versions of the protocol, and am attempting to secure the public domain
>source.  I have a spec sheet for Zmodem dated April 1987, but have not been
>able to find anything much more recent.

I can supply two version of the "pd" zmodem source code, one dated
88:03:03, the other dated, 89:05;25.

I have slightly hacked each to provide a more useful command summary
and to accept a -F name (take file list from named file) option. I have
also rewritten the documentation a bit to show how to interface the two
versions to CU, a "pd" cu from Sandy Z's bulletin board. I have also
rewritten to makefiles for more generality.

I find the earlier version better than the later. It accepts input from
a pipe.

Generally, I'm impressed with zmodem as a protocol. I use it daily and
heavily. I'm less impressed with Forsberg's understanding of portable C
code. As someone who has written a large scale data base that runs
under MSDOS, Sco Xenix, and various flavors of UNIX, etc. I know a bit
about portability. A jillion #ifdefs in the source code is not the
clearest way to go.

If you want the zmodem source code, send e-mail to the address in the
signature.  NOTE THAT THIS ADDRESS IS NOT THE SAME AS THE ONE YOU GET
BY USING THE R COMMAND OF THE MAILREADER.  IF YOU DON'T SEND IT TO THE
ADDRESS THAT IS CONVENIENT FOR ME, I WILL NOT REPLY.

Unless otherwise requested, I will ship a package that consists of:

(a)	CU (a pd version of cu that can use zmodem);

(b)	hacked zmodem (described above);

(c)	a "shareware" version of zmodem for MSDOS.

This package is made by

tar | compress | uublock | mail

uublock calls uuencode and splits the result into 60K blocks.

If you don't get a reply within a week, it usually means your address
doesn't work.

Earl H. Kinmonth
History Department
University of California, Davis
916-752-1636 (voice, fax [2300-0800 PDT])
916-752-0776 secretary

ucbvax!ucdavis!ucdked!cck
ehkinmonth@ucdavis

Gary_Edmunds_Miller@cup.portal.com (06/16/89)

> UUCP: {rosevax, crash, orator}!orbit!pnet51!pj  wrote::
>Does anyone know of a source of the source code for the Zmodem protocol from
>Chuck Forsberg?  I understand there are both 'public domain' and proprietary
>versions of the protocol, and am attempting to secure the public domain
>source.
..
Chuck Forsberg can be reached for the real thing at:
	Voice: 503-621-3406
	BBS:   503-621-3746 (Trailblazer modem)
	Compuserve: 70007,2304
	GEnie: CAF
	BIX:   cforsberg
	UUCP:  ...!tektronix!reed!omen!caf
..
Zmodem is the REAL THING (certainly not classic coke) :-) :-)
..
RGDS
GARY