[comp.dcom.modems] Help with UDS 212LP

scott@zorch.UU.NET (Scott Hazen Mueller) (06/15/89)

I have a clunky UDS 212LP modem sitting around that I would like to use as
an inbound modem on my system, zorch.  Does anyone out there know anything
about these beasties?  It has three switches, ORG/ANS, 300/1200 and on the
front TALK/DATA.  If I set it to ANS, 1200 and TALK, it never picks up the
line.  If I switch it from TALK to DATA, it picks up the line immediately.
This doesn't work real well as an auto-answer modem; maybe it's just plain
not possible.  However, if there is anyone out there who knows some trick,
e.g., toggle DTR low, please let me know.

Thanks,
--
Scott Hazen Mueller   scott@zorch.UU.NET
(408) 298-6213        (pyramid|tolerant|uunet)!zorch!scott

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (06/16/89)

scott@zorch.UU.NET (Scott Hazen Mueller) writes:
> I have a clunky UDS 212LP modem sitting around that I would like to use as
> an inbound modem

	You can't.  We used to have a few 212LP's around here (they are
proably still in service somewhere).  It was a nice modem for its day.  Fit
nicely under a desk phone.  Fairly cheap compared to what else was on the
market at the time.  And needed no electrical connection (it was powered by
the phone line, hence the LP in the name).  Unfortunatly, it couldn't do
auto answer.  I think the fundemental problem was that to be line powered,
you are *very* limited in how much current you can draw from the phone
line.  They probably couldn't power the auto-answer circuitry and stay
within the power limits.
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
{allegra,philabs,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy -or- roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu
"The connector is the network"