[comp.dcom.modems] Strange Behavior

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) (06/17/89)

A remote user dials into my 3B2/400 running HoneyDanBer on a Trailblazer
Plus -- she's using a Multi-Tech 224E modem -- and gets connected.  A
few CR's get her 'login' to which she types (and sees echoed) her login
name.  But instead of getting 'Password:', she gets 'P@@@wor@:' where
the '@' are garbage: a with an accent, o with an accent, ditto, and a
with an umlaut.

Anyone have any ideas as to where to start?  Please respond my email.  I
read this group but have been having trouble with news recently.  Thanks.

--
Pete Holsberg, Professor, Technology Division
Mercer County Community College, Box B, Trenton, NJ 08690

kaufman@polya.Stanford.EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) (06/17/89)

In article <773@mccc.UUCP> pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) writes:
>A remote user dials into my 3B2/400 running HoneyDanBer on a Trailblazer
>Plus -- she's using a Multi-Tech 224E modem -- and gets connected.  A
>few CR's get her 'login' to which she types (and sees echoed) her login
>name.  But instead of getting 'Password:', she gets 'P@@@wor@:' where
>the '@' are garbage: a with an accent, o with an accent, ditto, and a
>with an umlaut.

Her terminal has an extended character set, and you are sending EVEN parity.
The parity bit makes the returned characters look like they are in the
extended set.  (Actually, I think the 'Password' string is stored in EVEN
parity so that it will go out "correctly" to model 33 teletypes even if the
line is set to 8-bit mode -- this is a VERY OLD Unix hack --).  Find and
change the 'Password' string (in login.c ?)

Marc Kaufman (kaufman@polya.stanford.edu)