[comp.dcom.modems] Everex Evercom 24E - experiences?

chip@ateng.com (Chip Salzenberg) (06/28/89)

My company is looking into buying a large quantity of Everex Evercom 24E
modems.  I'd like to ask anyone who's had exceptional experiences, good or
bad, to report them.

Post or E-Mail, either is OK.

adTHANKSvance.
--
You may redistribute this article only to those who may freely do likewise.
Chip Salzenberg         |       <chip@ateng.com> or <uunet!ateng!chip>

dewey@sequoia.UUCP (Dewey Henize) (06/28/89)

In article <24A7EE3B.21773@ateng.com> chip@ateng.com (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
>My company is looking into buying a large quantity of Everex Evercom 24E
>modems.  I'd like to ask anyone who's had exceptional experiences, good or
>bad, to report them.
>
>Post or E-Mail, either is OK.
>
>adTHANKSvance.
>--
>You may redistribute this article only to those who may freely do likewise.
>Chip Salzenberg         |       <chip@ateng.com> or <uunet!ateng!chip>
>A T Engineering         |       Me?  Speak for my company?  Surely you jest!

I recently made the bad decision to purchase Everex Evercom 24E+ modems for
our use as both indial and outdial through a Micom.  [The bad part of the
decision is hooking through the Micom.]

I don't see problems with them being used in outdial at all.  The line connect
quality has been basically fine.  The problem is that the damned things won't
SHUT UP when I want them too for indial.

Everex made a decision somewhere down that line that they would add a feature
where if a connect is established at other than the speed of the last connect,
the firmware would graciously decide to send out a string to the 232 port of
the general form 'Connect at xxx baud, reset your software' <- paraphrased.
This is done regardless of the switch settings where you can enable or disable
the more standard Hayes return strings.

There is a string that can be sent to the modem to disable this message, I
believe its either &I1 or &I0.  There is NOT any way to store this configuration
however, so if power cycles its back blabbing again.

I called Everex several times about this.  The first time I got a guy who
claimed they didn't do this, it wasn't in the manual (it's in the addendum,
I stared at it while he told me it didn't exist).  The next time I got a guy
who didn't know it did it, but was at least willing to believe it did.  He
had no idea how to disable it, and would talk to an engineer and call me back
the next day.  That's been several weeks...  I even had mentioned I'd be willing
to blow the warranty and make mods to leads or whatever if that's what it took,
but to no avail.

We're going to replace a bunch of 1200 modems with 2400 in the future, for this
same application.  Everex will NOT be a consideration.  I'd recommend the
modem for a PC/Personal type modem, but not for use in an environment where
you care about controlling the line significantly.

Dewey

| ...!cs.utexas.edu!execu!dewey or | "If you will just quit shouting at me, I |
|   ...!natinst!sequoia!dewey      | will try to hear what you are saying"    |
|   If I so often disagree with my company, of course these ideas are mine    |

Gary_Edmunds_Miller@cup.portal.com (06/29/89)

Chip asked:
> I'd like to ask anyone who's had exceptional experiences, good or
> bad, to report them.
> Chip Salzenberg         |       <chip@ateng.com> or <uunet!ateng!chip>
> A T Engineering         |       Me?  Speak for my company?  Surely you jest!

I have used many brands of modems (Ven-tel, Racal-Vadic, USR, Microcom,
 Hayes, etc..) at many speeds.
..
The Everex 24E w/ MNP3 (now available at MNP 4) is the worst I ever used
on several counts:
    1. Worst DOC.
    2. Worst Tech Support (i.e. infinite hold, then wrong answers!)
    3. Poorest compliance to RS-232C [ not D!]
..
To add insult to injury the only flow control available for MNP was XON/
XOFF!  Makes it a little tough to use EMACS, XMODEM, etc. when in MNP
or buffered modes. I know there have been several ROM changes since then
but why gamble with a loser?
..
I am not exactly sure which modem I do recommend, but EVEREX is not it.
..
RGDS

elc@well.UUCP (Eric L. Cook) (06/30/89)

In article <577@sequoia.UUCP> dewey@sequoia.UUCP (Dewey Henize) writes:
>I recently made the bad decision to purchase Everex Evercom 24E+ modems for
>our use as both indial and outdial through a Micom.
>
>There is a string that can be sent to the modem to disable this message, I
>believe its either &I1 or &I0.  There is NOT any way to store this
>configuration
>however, so if power cycles its back blabbing again.
>Dewey

Your problem is that you did not ( If it was your decision. )
research the modem capabilities. The modem was not designed with
a non-volatile memory, so any settings other than the dip
switches on the bottom are not saved upon power cycling. It was a
bad decision on your part to buy the modem based on your needs,
but you can't blame Everex for that.

**** With my two cents. ****
          Eric Cook

ssd@sugar.hackercorp.com (Scott Denham) (07/01/89)

> Chip asked:
> > I'd like to ask anyone who's had exceptional experiences, good or
> > bad, to report them.
> The Everex 24E w/ MNP3 (now available at MNP 4) is the worst I ever used
> on several counts:
>     1. Worst DOC.
>     2. Worst Tech Support (i.e. infinite hold, then wrong answers!)
>     3. Poorest compliance to RS-232C [ not D!]
> ..
> ..
> I am not exactly sure which modem I do recommend, but EVEREX is not it.

As long as we are attacking the Everex, I'll throw in my two bits worth
- I've been mad ever since I helped set one up....Although it does work
pretty well, I have found the docs to be abominable to the point of being
downright incorrect, and their interpretation of what "AT command set
compatible" means.  In many cases it means they will happily accept the
AT command, but take absolutely no discernable action because of it -
so a number of the "default" settings are in fact the ONLY settings
possible!
    Scott Denham
     Houston, TX

bruce@mdi386.UUCP (Bruce A. McIntyre) (07/02/89)

In article <19962@cup.portal.com>, Gary_Edmunds_Miller@cup.portal.com writes:
> Chip asked:
> > I'd like to ask anyone who's had exceptional experiences, good or
> > bad, to report them.
> > Chip Salzenberg         |       <chip@ateng.com> or <uunet!ateng!chip>
> > A T Engineering         |       Me?  Speak for my company?  Surely you jest!
> I have used many brands of modems (Ven-tel, Racal-Vadic, USR, Microcom,
>  Hayes, etc..) at many speeds.
> The Everex 24E w/ MNP3 (now available at MNP 4) is the worst I ever used
> on several counts:

The best overall performer I have found is the Multi-Tech line, especially
the 224EH, which includes MNP to level 5.  For faster work we use tBit+,
but have found that the 224EH can punch through almost anything, anywhere.
Good compatibility and excellent/logical extensions.   Besides, if you can
get together an order for 3, you can sign on as a dealer, and get the third
one for free.  Ask your distributor about it.
bruce
	Bruce A. McIntyre, McIntyre Designs, Inc. VOICE(215)322-1895
	143 Bridgetown Pike, Langhorne, Pa. 19047 DATA (215)357-2915
	{wells|lgnp1}!mdi386!bruce		bruce@wells tbit+