[comp.dcom.modems] Problems with TB+ 5.0 roms...

pda@stiatl.UUCP (Paul D. Anderson) (06/29/89)

I have just purchased 2 trailblazer + modems- one for a newsfeed to
my homesite feed, the second for dialup use into that machine and
several others.  I have had two problems that I have not been able
to solve and was wondering if anyone had had similar problems-

1) I subscribed to uunet service.  I have been unable to contact them
at their 800 number with the TB modems.  They attempt to sync up, but
then just drop the line after a 20 seconds or so.  I have tried this
with micropackets on and off (S120).

2) When using a 5.0 TB to a 4.0 TB in interactive mode locally, the
modems sometimes fail to sync up until the 5.0 modem is power cycled.
Once a connection is established,  about every 10 minutes the modem
starts trying to resync the line (I have started running comm sessions
with the speaker open so I can tell whats going on).  It usually fails
to resync.  I end up having to dial in again, and am always reconnected
successfully, but then, 10 minutes later....

3) When a connection is established, bringing the modem into command
mode via '+++' and then trying to put the modem back online via
'ATO' results in the connection never being reestablished.  I haven't
tried this one with the speaker open, so I am not sure if it is
attempting to resync.

My inclination is to somehow find 4.0 roms (since all folks I know
using 4.0 roms are having no problems) for my modems...  Anyone got
any other ideas?

Thanks.
--
Paul Anderson                                            (w) (404) 841-4000
gatech!stiatl!pda                                        (h) (404) 662-0799

In article <5343@stiatl.UUCP> pda@stiatl.UUCP (Paul D. Anderson) writes:

> 1) I subscribed to uunet service.  I have been unable to contact them
> at their 800 number with the TB modems.  They attempt to sync up, but
> then just drop the line after a 20 seconds or so.  I have tried this
> with micropackets on and off (S120).

Are you setting S50=255/254 to force calling in PEP mode?  This may
be neccessary when calling uunet.

> 2) When using a 5.0 TB to a 4.0 TB in interactive mode locally, the
> modems sometimes fail to sync up until the 5.0 modem is power cycled.

We just got a bunch of rack-mount TB+ modems that came with 5.0 roms,
but I really haven't had a chance to check for reliability.

I also got a pair of the T2500's to play with V.32.  When calling in
PEP mode from a Hotel phone in S.F. back to PA, I noticed they did
seem to almost always retrain once or twice after a minute or two
of operation.  I don't know whether to attribute this to some kind of
bogus PBX in the hotel or some "improvment".

They may have changed the retrain algorithm - it's always one of those
tradoffs to retrain only when you "need to" or when it might "help"
and the line is idle...  If so I hope there's some way to control this.

BTW, the V.32 worked pretty good when calling Tymenet to access BIX,
but I haven't tried any uucp testing to see whether it's "better" than
TB+/PEP...

swine@softway.oz (Peter Swain) (07/03/89)

In article <5343@stiatl.UUCP> pda@stiatl.UUCP (Paul D. Anderson) writes:
> 3) When a connection is established, bringing the modem into command
> mode via '+++' and then trying to put the modem back online via
> 'ATO' results in the connection never being reestablished.  I haven't
> tried this one with the speaker open, so I am not sure if it is
> attempting to resync.

If echoing happens remotely, the other end may well be seeing your
'+++' and going in to command mode!
Try setting local ecape char to something other than '+' before dialling.
If you can then ATO sucessfully, that's the problem.

You then should disable '+++' in the remote modem by AT%Sxx=yy
(xx and yy have vanished from short term memory)
so that the '+++' is special to neither modem ...
--
Peter Swain - Softway Pty Ltd		(swine@softway.oz)
    79 Myrtle St, Chippendale, NSW, Australia

rodd@dasys1.UUCP (Rod Dorman) (07/11/89)

In article <1778@softway.oz> swine@softway.oz (Peter Swain) writes:
|In article <5343@stiatl.UUCP> pda@stiatl.UUCP (Paul D. Anderson) writes:
|> 3) When a connection is established, bringing the modem into command
|> mode via '+++' and then trying to put the modem back online via
|> 'ATO' results in the connection never being reestablished.
|If echoing happens remotely, the other end may well be seeing your
|'+++' and going in to command mode!
|Try setting local ecape char to something other than '+' before dialling.
|If you can then ATO sucessfully, that's the problem.
|You then should disable '+++' in the remote modem by AT%Sxx=yy
|(xx and yy have vanished from short term memory)
|so that the '+++' is special to neither modem ...

You can also type 'AT%O' to tell the other blazer to go online before you
type 'ATO' on yours.

					-- Rod --

Rod Dorman						rodd@dasys1.uucp
Big Electric Cat Public Unix
	"The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't"