[comp.dcom.modems] Are Trailblazers good for SLIP 9600 Baud? What then?

scott@csis.oz (Scott Milton) (06/28/89)

Do Trailblazers work well with SLIP?
What modems should I use for 9600 Baud SLIP?

I have been told that because TCP sends acknowledgments for every packet,
that Trailblazers don't work well, as they are designed for large traffic
flows in a single direction for longer periods. With SLIP they spend alot of
the time working out that they have to change direction. There is presumably
also some overhead in doing error correction, which should be handled by the
TCP layer?

I believe I have missed some discussion of this topic in this group. Apologies.
We do not archive news groups.

Any suggestions or opinions greatly appreciated.
--
ACSnet: scott@csis.oz           Scott MILTON    (ph  +61-62-750923)
email:  scott@csis.oz.au                        (fax +61-62-571052)

In article <219@csis.oz> scott@csis.oz (Scott Milton) writes:

> Do Trailblazers work well with SLIP?
> What modems should I use for 9600 Baud SLIP?

No, Trailblazers aren't very good for slip, at last until Telebit get
of its *ss and delivers roms that understand the slip protocol.

The best bet for right now is a V.32 modem, for example the Telebit 2500
or any of the others.  You might get good performance with one of the
asymetical channel modems like the USR 9600 buad modem, if most of your
traffic is in one direction, perhaps someone can testifty about such.

In article <219@csis.oz> scott@csis.oz (Scott Milton) writes:
>Do Trailblazers work well with SLIP?
>What modems should I use for 9600 Baud SLIP?
>
>I have been told that because TCP sends acknowledgments for every packet,
>that Trailblazers don't work well, as they are designed for large traffic
>flows in a single direction for longer periods. With SLIP they spend alot of
>the time working out that they have to change direction...

Trailblazers in PEP mode are not great for SLIP.  With header compression
and other tweaks they can be passable; the terminal room at the San Diego
Usenix had its Internet connection done that way.  It wasn't great, but
it did work okay when I tried it -- although people who used it at busier
times were less happy, I gather.  (Unfortunately the compression code, from
Van Jacobson, is not widely available yet.)

At present, you're better off with a V.32 modem for 9600-baud SLIP.  The
Baltimore Usenix terminal room used a Telebit T2500 in V.32 mode, and was
a noticeable improvement on San Diego.  Other V.32 modems should also be
okay, but make sure you get real V.32 (there is at least one half-duplex
modem using a protocol related to V.32).  Don't expect miracles; try before
you buy.  There are things that can be done to optimize TCP/IP for slow
lines, but your system almost certainly doesn't do them.
--
$10 million equals 18 PM       |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
(Pentagon-Minutes). -Tom Neff  | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

vjs@rhyolite.wpd.sgi.com (Vernon Schryver) (07/02/89)

In article <219@csis.oz>, scott@csis.oz (Scott Milton) writes:

> Do Trailblazers work well with SLIP?
> What modems should I use for 9600 Baud SLIP?
> --
> ACSnet: scott@csis.oz           Scott MILTON    (ph  +61-62-750923)
> email:  scott@csis.oz.au                        (fax +61-62-571052)
> CSIRO Division of Information Technology, Acton, Canberra. ACT. AUSTRALIA.

TB+'s work for FTP, RCP, &co over SLIP if you do not compress TCP/IP
headers.  If you compress headers, they do almost as will as with cu/tip
for interactive stuff.  If you do not compress TCP/IP headers, TB+'s are not
useful with SLIP--at least that's what I've found.

The only reason I know to use SLIP is if you want to multiplex a stuff over
a single line.

Vernon Schryver
Silicon Graphics
vjs@sgi.com

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) (07/02/89)

Trailblazers, in PEP mode, are good for applications that are
largely unidirectional.  Like this interactive news reading
that I'm doing right now.  Or a file transfer protocol that
only works in one direction, and doesn't have much back traffic
in ACKing.  Like, kermit with long packets should work really well.

SLIP, depending on what you're doing, isn't necessarily one-direction.
Generally speaking it's equal in each direction.

BTW ... I was *really* impressed with the terminal room at Usenix.

Someone was wanting Telebit to get off their *ss and implement SLIP
spoofing.  First off, I don't think it would work since PEP doesn't
allow equal data flow in each direction -- yet.  But in any case,
I don't think Telebit wants to implement SLIP support until the RFC
is finished...
--
<- David Herron; an MMDF guy                              <david@ms.uky.edu>
<- ska: David le casse\*'      {rutgers,uunet}!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET

wlm@archet.UUCP (William L. Moran Jr.) (07/03/89)

In article <7198@cbmvax.UUCP> grr@cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:
>In article <219@csis.oz> scott@csis.oz (Scott Milton) writes:
>>
>> Do Trailblazers work well with SLIP?
>> What modems should I use for 9600 Baud SLIP?
>
>No, Trailblazers aren't very good for slip, at last until Telebit get
>of its *ss and delivers roms that understand the slip protocol.
>
>The best bet for right now is a V.32 modem, for example the Telebit 2500
>or any of the others.  You might get good performance with one of the
>asymetical channel modems like the USR 9600 buad modem, if most of your
>traffic is in one direction, perhaps someone can testifty about such.
>--

Another person and I recently set up a slip network. After evaluating
modems we settled on telebit t2500s. The v32 performance is excellent,
and slip works well with them. Surprisingly, slip works well in pep
mode between 2 2500s also. The interactive feel for telnet and rlogin
isn't bad, and the ftp performance kicks *ss. V32 mode really wins
when you have more than one thing going on over the line at a time.

				Bill Moran
PS I have no connection with telebit other than as a customer ...
etc...

--
arpa: moran-william@cs.yale.edu or wlm@ibm.com
uucp: uunet!bywater!acheron!archet!wlm or decvax!yale!moran-william

jparnas@larouch.UUCP (Jacob Parnas) (07/03/89)

In article <12036@s.ms.uky.edu> david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) writes:
>SLIP, depending on what you're doing, isn't necessarily one-direction.
>Generally speaking it's equal in each direction.

SLIP is usually going full speed in one direction and without header
compression sending several ~ 40 byte packets per second in the other
direction.  The trailblazer (PEP protocol) does well for with
applications that mind high latentcy (like ftp, which gets about
1.1Kbytes/second vs. about .9Kbytes/second using V.32 modems.) but does
very poorly on interactive applications like rlogin, telnet, ping, etc
without header compression.  For instance, ping takes about 1200-1600
ms. in PEP mode vs. about 270ms.  with V.32 modems.  In a telnet or
rlogin, PEP gets 20 characters behind (what you are typing) sometimes,
while V.32 gets at most 1 or 2 characters behind).

The Telebit T2500 has both PEP and V.32.  I get mail and news in PEP mode
and use V.32 for SLIP.  V.32 wins big over PEP if you are running two
applications that want full bandwidth in both directions.  For instance,
once I got .8 Kilobytes/second on simultaneous ftps in opposite directions
in V.32 mode!  This has useful benefits.  For instance, it is reasonable
to rdist from your work machine to your home machine at the same time
as you are running rlogin from your work machine to your home machine in
V.32 mode, but I think performance would be much worse in PEP mode.

| Jacob M. Parnas                    | DISCLAIMER: The above message is from |
| IBM Thomas J. Watson Research Ctr. | me and is not from my employer.  IBM  |
| Arpanet: jparnas@ibm.com           | might completely disagree with me.    |
| Bitnet: jparnas@yktvmx.bitnet      \---------------------------------------|
| Home: ..!uunet!bywater!acheron!larouch!jparnas | Phone: (914) 945-1635     |

cander@unisoft.UUCP (Charles Anderson) (07/04/89)

From article <219@csis.oz>, by scott@csis.oz (Scott Milton):

> Do Trailblazers work well with SLIP?
> What modems should I use for 9600 Baud SLIP?
>
> I have been told that because TCP sends acknowledgments for every packet,
> that Trailblazers don't work well, as they are designed for large traffic
> flows in a single direction for longer periods. With SLIP they spend alot of
> the time working out that they have to change direction. There is presumably
> also some overhead in doing error correction, which should be handled by the
> TCP layer?

I recently set up SLIP on Apollos (a non-trivial task) using
Trailblazers running at 9600 baud.  I found that SLIP between two
serial ports without modems ran at roughly 75% of the maximum
throughput (9600 baud) and that with the TB's in the loop performance
was roughly 50% of 9600 baud, not too bad of a performance hit.  The
test I performed was a simple rcp from one node to an other.  If I were
running rcp's in both directions, the throughput might have been less.
Also it should be noted that intereactive performance (using rlogin)
over the SLIP line with TB's was real dismal.  To say it was "bursty",
would be putting it kindly.

--

Charles.
{sun, amdahl, ucbvax, pyramid, uunet}!unisoft!cander

matt@oddjob.uchicago.edu (Matt Crawford) (07/04/89)

OK, how about the Microcom QX/V.32c?  Has anyone run SLIP on that?
If so, how high did you crank up the baud rate on a Sun CPU serial
port?  If you used the data compression feature, how did you set up the
flow control on the sun?

Some people here have bought the QXs for one purpose and are getting 30
kb/s or more effective throughput over dialup phone lines between
Macintoshes.  I want to try them out with SLIP between Suns and would
like to hear experiences, if there are any.
Matt Crawford                   matt@oddjob.uchicago.edu

vjs@rhyolite.wpd.sgi.com (Vernon Schryver) (07/04/89)

In article <2109@unisoft.UUCP>, cander@unisoft.UUCP (Charles Anderson) writes:

> ...I found that SLIP between two
> serial ports without modems ran at roughly 75% of the maximum
> throughput (9600 baud) and that with the TB's in the loop performance
> was roughly 50% of 9600 baud...
>
> Charles.
> {sun, amdahl, ucbvax, pyramid, uunet}!unisoft!cander

I've noticed similarly low numbers for rcp of .5KB/sec between IRIS's over
interfaces set to 19.2, but with FTP, I've seen 1.4KByte/sec on the same
phone calls.  Notice that 1.4KB is about what you can hope for with UUCP
over TB's.  No TCP retransmissions were glaringly obvious.  TB compression
does not seem to make much difference.  The modem lights look about the
same in all cases--almost solid one-way traffic.  Given the large buffers
of rcp and the large TCP windows on IRIS's, I don't know what's going on.
Does anyone else?

Vernon Schryver
Silicon Graphics
vjs@sgi.com

smb@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Steven M. Bellovin) (07/05/89)

In literature handed out at Usenix, Trailblazer said that they had
header prediection/compression support for IP.  It hasn't been released
yet, but they stated their intention to support all versions of dial-up IP.

jpr@dasys1.UUCP (Jean-Pierre Radley) (07/11/89)

Am I wrong in suggesting that discussions of Telebit modems, their
register settings, and so forth, might get better results in
biz.comp.telebit?

I think the manufacturer is active in that newsgroup.
--
Jean-Pierre Radley		CIS: 72160,1341		jpr@jpradley.UUCP

steve@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Steve DeJarnett) (07/12/89)

In article <10170@dasys1.UUCP> jpr@dasys1.UUCP (Jean-Pierre Radley) writes:
>Am I wrong in suggesting that discussions of Telebit modems, their
>register settings, and so forth, might get better results in
>biz.comp.telebit?

	Most of the USENET 'world' does not receive the biz.* groups, and some
of us may be precluded from receiving them due to their commercial nature.

>I think the manufacturer is active in that newsgroup.

	They've been active in this group in the past also.

| Steve DeJarnett            | Smart Mailers -> steve@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU     |
| Computer Systems Lab       | Dumb Mailers  -> ..!ucbvax!voder!polyslo!steve |
| Cal Poly State Univ.       |------------------------------------------------|
| San Luis Obispo, CA  93407 | BITNET = Because Idiots Type NETwork           |

news@investor.UUCP ( Bob Peirce) (07/13/89)

In article <10170@dasys1.UUCP> jpr@dasys1.UUCP (Jean-Pierre Radley) writes:
>Am I wrong in suggesting that discussions of Telebit modems, their
>register settings, and so forth, might get better results in
>biz.comp.telebit?

A lot of usenet doesn't get biz.comp.telebit, whatever that is!
I would like to continue to see it here.

>I think the manufacturer is active in that newsgroup.

Why don't they get active here?

--
Bob Peirce, Pittsburgh, PA				 412-471-5320
uucp: ...!{allegra, bellcore, cadre, idis, psuvax1}!pitt!investor!rbp