[comp.dcom.modems] Fabulous modem service after lightning!!!

msmith@topaz.rutgers.edu (Mark Robert Smith) (07/26/89)

I just had a terrific experience with modem repair AFTER the warranty
expired, and I thought I'd tell you about it.

About 18 months ago, I bought a Supra Modem 2400.  It only cost me
$149 originally new.

Then, about two weeks ago, we had the nastiest, most violent
thunderstorm that this area has seen come through (Tenafly, NJ).
Tornadoes in NJ?  Yup.  My modem got zapped, apparently from the phone
line, since I have a surge protector on the AC line.  The next day,
when I tried to turn it on, the modem was automatically off-hook, and
refused to hang up.  Thus, it was impossible to use.

The next day, I called Supra Corp.  They said that because it was over
the warranty period, they would have to charge me $20-70 for the
repair, depending on what was wrong.  I shipped it the next day via
UPS Blue  2-day service.  They received it on the 14th, serviced it,
and shipped it back the same day.  They replaced one chip, and did
something listed as "noise mods".  NO CHARGE!!  They shipped it back
UPS ground, and it arrived today, the 25th.  I'm using it right now.

This modem is a real trooper.  I would recommend it to anyone looking
for a 2400 modem without MNP.  Also, the service plan is excellent.

NOTE:  I do not work for Supra, or any company which sells their
product.

Mark

--
Mark Smith     |  "Be careful when looking into the distance,       |All Rights
61 Tenafly Road|that you do not miss what is right under your nose."| Reserved

andrew@dgbt.uucp (Andrew Patrick ) (07/27/89)

In article <Jul.25.21.32.23.1989.12871@topaz.rutgers.edu>
msmith@topaz.rutgers.edu (Mark Robert Smith) writes:

>I just had a terrific experience with modem repair AFTER the warranty
>expired, and I thought I'd tell you about it.
[rosey story deleted]

Just to add a little balance, here is my Supra story:

I purchased 2 2400 baud modems last January.  In February, one of them
began to emit a loud "buzz" when powered up.  It would no longer
respond to commands from the computer, and was generally "dead" (a
technical term).

Since it was still under warranty, I sent it back to the dealer for
repairs.  The dealer sent it back to Supra.  Then, I waited.  Then, I
waited some more.  Then, I did some more of this.  Five months later,
Supra sent a brand new modem to my dealer, and I picked it up from
there.

Five months is a long time for a modem to go without talking to another
modem :-)

--
Andrew Patrick, Ph.D.         Communications Research Centre
  (613) 990-4675              Department of Communications, Ottawa, Canada